Drilling and screwing carbon

T-Bob

So I can't get a decent mount for my GPS anywhere but I have got a K-edge out front that wouldn't mind using. Problem is I have flat topped bars and a dirty big over sized carbon stem that stops me using it.

Just wondering how 'darwin award' this might be to fix the problem with a drill and some screws. Can just see the bars failing mid sprint and eating tarmac on a massive scale.

post-15825-0-11023900-1386858809_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I would not be too happy about drilling holes in my bars. Bars take a lot of stress and flexion (I once watched Mr Christmas Tree snap his aluminium answer bars in mid air) and drilling a hole will definitely affect that.

Why dont you just glue the mount on? Roughen the area a little with some coarse sandpaper and epoxy your mount in place.

Hmmm. I would not be too happy about drilling holes in my bars. Bars take a lot of stress and flexion (I once watched Mr Christmas Tree snap his aluminium answer bars in mid air) and drilling a hole will definitely affect that.

Why dont you just glue the mount on? Roughen the area a little with some coarse sandpaper and epoxy your mount in place.

Now there is an idea that won't end in tears! Nice work.

Now there is an idea that won't end in tears! Nice work.

If you don't count the bracket falling off and losing your Garmin not ending in tears then go for it!!

Can't see what glue would possibly be able to hold that bracket and the weight of the Garmin plus getting shaken and bumped at speed and not fall off. Maybe try find a way to cable tie on the bracket or something the bracket can bolt on to. Or a pipe clamp.

If you don't count the bracket falling off and losing your Garmin not ending in tears then go for it!!

ah... Any one got a 3d printer handy?

My pel se carbon handlebar het gebreek toe hy deur 'n dip gaan en hy het altwee sy arm gebreek, so ek sal nie eers daaraan dink om hom te boor nie. Die handlebar het gebreek waar die brake lever vas draai.

Yup, that's a definite brainfart. Speak to a carbon repair place, they should be able to sort you out with an adhesive that'll work.

So I can't get a decent mount for my GPS anywhere but I have got a K-edge out front that wouldn't mind using. Problem is I have flat topped bars and a dirty big over sized carbon stem that stops me using it.

Just wondering how 'darwin award' this might be to fix the problem with a drill and some screws. Can just see the bars failing mid sprint and eating tarmac on a massive scale.

post-15825-0-11023900-1386858809_thumb.jpg

http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk/#/shop/4559567829/Garmin-200-500-800-Integrated-Mount/1499216

with a cabletie perhaps??

I reckon the easiest thing would be to use a hose clamp. Take a flat piece of aluminium drill two holes in it (if there is no way to get the clamp to hold the bracket). Thread the clamp through the two holes. Use an old piece of tube to wrap around the bar to protect it from the clamp. Mount your bracket using a couple of bolts to the piece of aluminium. Fasten the clamp. It may not look too pretty but it'll definitely work.

Not sure that epoxy would hold with all the vibrations.

Is your stem not long enough to put on top?

http://benmanson.com/review/edge800/IMG_2229.jpg

There was a thread in buyers guide about Go Pro mounts. The same company does Garmin as well and I'm pretty sure K-Edge does a stem mount now for Garmin. You won't have reouble selling your current Edge in SA. They are scarce and guys ask crazy prices.

Not sure that epoxy would hold with all the vibrations.

Is your stem not long enough to put on top?

For sure, that's the way it's mounted at the moment. I was looking at a way of getting it out in front a bit and using the annoying little K-edge mount that I paid good coin for. With any normal stem I'd have enough room but the bar & stem combo I have are monsters and there is nothing left between the stem and the taper to flat.

To be honest while it'd be nice to get it mounted and working all the alternatives and the good advice seems to involve a degree of losing my GPS, snapping bars or looking like an advert for builders warehouse!

Might just sell the k-edge, get the barfly and heat it up with a blow torch to 'mould' it around the flat bit.

Thanks to the brains trusts and the inventors. Good shouts one and all.