The Role of Bicycles in War

Tractor

Following on a current thread regarding the carrying of a gun while riding here's some interesting info from a book I'm currently reading - "The History of Cycling in Fifty Bikes" by Tom Ambrose.

I didn't know that bicycles were actively used in the Boer War! Here's an excerpt:

"during the Second Anglo-Boer War of 1899 - 02, cyclists were used extensively both the Boers for scouting and by British and Empire forces as despatch riders and for patrolling exposed railway lines. There was even a documented incident, at Hammanskraal in the Transvaal, in which 11 new Zealand cyclists chased and arrested 10 Boer horsemen. the Boers had their successes as well. Commandant Danie Theron raised the bicycle mounted "Theron se Verkenningskorps, described by the British Commander-in-Chief, Field Marshal Lord Roberts as "the hardest thorn in the flesh of the British advance."

post-49804-0-05740400-1388741053_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-80380500-1388741065_thumb.png

post-49804-0-18444700-1388741078_thumb.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Second World War bicycles also played a massive part. Probably the most famous of the bikes was the BSA Paratrooper - a folding bike used by the paratroopers.

incredible, imagine jumping out of a plane, into the war zone, fold up your bike and ride on... I don't think will be able to even imagine what was going on in these times.

Another excerpt regarding World War 2:

"As the Germans rapidly advanced across Europe they put their bicycles to good use. Behind the many tanks that spearheaded the invasion of Belgium and France came thousands of bikes. These were used by the German Army to transport infantry behind the thousands of tanks, lorries, and even horse drawn wagons."

post-49804-0-58680000-1388741680_thumb.png

post-49804-0-93875400-1388741692_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-99443100-1388741706_thumb.png

post-49804-0-66820000-1388741717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tractor

A German bicycle from WW1 made by Opel. Due to the lack of rubber because of the war, note how they put springs into the wheels instead, to act as 'cushioning'. I still think it would be a bone shaker

post-42483-0-97541700-1388742178_thumb.jpg

incredible, imagine jumping out of a plane, into the war zone, fold up your bike and ride on... I don't think will be able to even imagine what was going on in these times.

I wonder what was the weight of those bikes!?

I think one of those BSA paratroopers would be awesome to have

Yeah! :thumbup: And so would riding it at Moonlight Mass with a submachine gun slung over your shoulder!

Edited by DJR

I wonder what was the weight of those bikes!?

I remember reading somewhere that the British Ministry of Defence had a stipulation that the bikes had to be under 23 pounds (so less than say 10.5kg). Crazy!!

I remember reading somewhere that the British Ministry of Defence had a stipulation that the bikes had to be under 23 pounds (so less than say 10.5kg). Crazy!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

The first known use of the bicycle in combat occurred during the Jameson Raid, in which cyclists carried messages. In the Second Boer War, military cyclists were used primarily as scouts and messengers. One unit patrolled railroad lines on specially constructed tandem bicycles that were fixed to the rails. Several raids were conducted by cycle-mounted infantry on both sides; the most famous unit was the Theron se Verkenningskorps (Theron Reconnaissance Corps) or TVK, a Boer unit led by the scout Daniel Theron, whom British commander Lord Roberts described as "the hardest thorn in the flesh of the British advance." Roberts placed a reward of £1,000 on Theron's head—dead or alive—and dispatched 4,000 soldiers to find and eliminate the TVK.[4]

Another South African first that I didn't know about! :thumbup:

The first known use of the bicycle in combat occurred during the Jameson Raid, in which cyclists carried messages. In the Second Boer War, military cyclists were used primarily as scouts and messengers. One unit patrolled railroad lines on specially constructed tandem bicycles that were fixed to the rails. Several raids were conducted by cycle-mounted infantry on both sides; the most famous unit was the Theron se Verkenningskorps (Theron Reconnaissance Corps) or TVK, a Boer unit led by the scout Daniel Theron, whom British commander Lord Roberts described as "the hardest thorn in the flesh of the British advance." Roberts placed a reward of £1,000 on Theron's head—dead or alive—and dispatched 4,000 soldiers to find and eliminate the TVK.[4]

Another South African first that I didn't know about! :thumbup:

Im sure those tandems mustve been FAST!