Extreme Makeover - Morewood Edition

patches

So I recently decided to add another "M" pony to the stable. But before I build it up, I thought I'd add a bit of a custom touch.

Here's what's happened so far...

Frame and fork (before)

post-10758-1389680366,8992.jpg

Inspiration/Vision

post-10758-1389680420,7791.jpg

(No not Steve McQueen... just the Gulf colours)

Frame ready for cleaning and masking

post-10758-1389680578,4976.jpg

Now for some chemistry and colour...

post-10758-1389680640,242.jpg

I decided on plastidip due to the fact that it can be applied over original paint work, it doesn't harm original paint. And can be removed.

I bought it in thick, "mix your own" form. In order to spray, it needs to be thinned 1:1 with either Naptha, Tourene, or Xylene (all hydrocarbon solvents, but with varying evaporation rates). I went with Xylene, and used a Preval can for application.

Thanks to my grade 8 art classes...

post-10758-1389681103,7712.jpg

And now for the messy part...

post-10758-1389681158,4046.jpg

(After 2 light coats. Looking quite chill with the original decals peeking through)

After a bunch (I lost count) of coats...

post-10758-1389681231,6715.jpg

And after removing paint from badge and headset cups (note there were not masked off. Simply spray over and peel off after)

post-10758-1389681318,9767.jpg

So there you have it... the first installment. Next step... custom orange vinyl designs and clear coat over. Stay tuned!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How durable is the plasti dip?

It's not the most durable stuff. I have read that it does get tougher over time.

Hopefully the addition of the graphics and clear coat (as well as helitape for vulnerable areas) will add to the durability.

It's quite widely used for "wrapping" cars an rims etc, so it must be kinda tough on its own?!

Damn you! I have this exact color scheme planned for my SS! Looks killer. Well done.

hahaha!

Single Speed McQueen!

But yeah, with already having an orange stem, bashring, and other bling parts, the Gulf colour scheme seemed like an easy choice. :lol:

Edited by patches

Very well done! Sukumas are so good looking, and that paint scheme's gonna look siiick! Gulf rules!

Edited by Josh_FSR

Careful going to thick,.. thats when it niks and peels badly..

Found it works best ... as in its adhesion,.. when its a raw frame with light coats,.. then you cant even scratch it off.. had to use removeall.

Nice baby blue to match the kitchen :thumbup:

Very Nice ... please straighten the rug in front of your fridge!

I'm working on training the dog to straighten it up herself.

Careful going to thick,.. thats when it niks and peels badly..

Found it works best ... as in its adhesion,.. when its a raw frame with light coats,.. then you cant even scratch it off.. had to use removeall.

Nice baby blue to match the kitchen :thumbup:

I know Patches did his this way so that he could change his mind later if he liked but are you saying that if I wanted a more permanent effect I should media blast the frame first?

NICE!!! Deon told me about this little project last friday. Must admit it's a KILLER idea.

hahaha! yeah, Deon helped me try figure out how to undo the pesky pivot bolts on the lower shock mount.

For any other Sukuma/Jabula owners out there that may not know... even though that bolt looks like a large Torx (we estimate a T65, which is as common as turle feathers), it is in fact just a 12mm hex key. Simple as that!

Edited by patches

hahaha! yeah, Deon helped me try figure out how to undo the pesky pivot bolts on the lower shock mount.

For any other Sukuma/Jabula owners out there that may not know... even though that bolt looks like a large Torx (we estimate a T65, which is as common as turle feathers), it is in fact just a 12mm hex key. Simple as that!

That would be one moerse big torx. But I have one... LOL!