Just held up at gun point on Tri Bike

kingalton

Hi all

Was out for a pleasant 150km ride this morning, when at about 80km 2 friendly chaps (before anyone asks, yes they were black) jumped out in the road, one holding a gun. (it looked like a SAPS service piece)

I was surprised at how calm i was during the whole incident, i got off my bike, turned away from them and lifted my hands. the one guy said to me to give him my phone, very quickly else he will shoot me.. the other guy checked the bike out and i think he didn't understand the tribar setup, he asked me very nicely how i was doing today, i replied very nicely " doing very well and you thanks buddy". (very sincerely)

the one with gun asked me if i had another phone, i said i didn't, they checked my out patted me down and then said "drive on".

They ran across the road and disappeared into the bushes.

it happened on the Magalies Fway toll road, on the way back, just after you go under the citron bridge.

there were 4 of us riding, i was quite a bit further in front of the others, so when they got there they didn't know what had happened.

a motorist stopped as he saw what happened, but i said he can go as nothing can be done..

I am really just thankful that all they took was my phone, thank the Lord - my life is much more valuable.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Was out for a pleasant 150km ride this morning, when at about 80km 2 friendly chaps (before anyone asks, yes they were black) jumped out in the road, one holding a gun. (it looked like a SAPS service piece)

I was surprised at how calm i was during the whole incident, i got off my bike, turned away from them and lifted my hands. the one guy said to me to give him my phone, very quickly else he will shoot me.. the other guy checked the bike out and i think he didn't understand the tribar setup, he asked me very nicely how i was doing today, i replied very nicely " doing very well and you thanks buddy". (very sincerely)

the one with gun asked me if i had another phone, i said i didn't, they checked my out patted me down and then said "drive on".

They ran across the road and disappeared into the bushes.

it happened on the Magalies Fway toll road, on the way back, just after you go under the citron bridge.

there were 4 of us riding, i was quite a bit further in front of the others, so when they got there they didn't know what had happened.

a motorist stopped as he saw what happened, but i said he can go as nothing can be done..

I am really just thankful that all they took was my phone, thank the Lord - my life is much more valuable.

You are very lucky.

So,looks like Tri bikes and DI2 are they way to go.

Glad you are ok kingalton.

Sucks that we have to endure this kind of crap. It so easily could have had a much worse outcome. Good that you stayed calm throughout.

Hope that phone explodes while he holds it up to his ear. Bastards!!!

Glad you're ok kingalton , makes Me upset reading this as I'm riding a lot on the road as well , and sometimes alone .

it doesn't make sense to ride alone anymore..

KingAlton, as a recent statistic myself, a bit of advice.

Get yourself to a trauma counsellor even if for only one session. As much as I'm sure it feels like it was a minor incident (it did for me too), the rage will come. Pre-empt it.