No GPS tracking allowed??

C2firm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See above...

Sorry I wasn't sure what 'track log' meant. So I can set it up so that I still have speed and distance, but it doesn't save the actual track/course?

I've read the supposedly reasons, but some of these Epic rules are just stupid.

Sorry I wasn't sure what 'track log' meant. So I can set it up so that I still have speed and distance, but it doesn't save the actual track/course?

Yep yep!

As for the rules - it's their race. Their rules. Your duty to follow them

• 3 months later...

Email received... OOPS!

post-41053-0-37178300-1403074380_thumb.jpg

"Dear Rider,

In terms of Rule 13.7 of The Absa Cape Epic you are not allowed to distribute any GPS co-ordinates in respect of the route at any time. It has come to our attention that you have uploaded various parts of the route to Strava.

Please remove these or make them private immediately. Should they still be visible by the end of the week, we will have to impose the penalty for breaking this rule which is disqualification and lifetime ban from riding the race.

Kind regards,

Jennifer"

Edit: copied email in

Edited by NitroDoni41

Haven't they go anything better to do ffs?

It's a perfectly acceptable request. they're following up on their rules and requirements and taking rogue riding seriously

Edit: if you don't recognise the problem that these uploads represent ito rogue riding and land access for us riders going into the future, then you're part of the problem.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Email received... OOPS!

"Dear Rider,

In terms of Rule 13.7 of The Absa Cape Epic you are not allowed to distribute any GPS co-ordinates in respect of the route at any time. It has come to our attention that you have uploaded various parts of the route to Strava.

Please remove these or make them private immediately. Should they still be visible by the end of the week, we will have to impose the penalty for breaking this rule which is disqualification and lifetime ban from riding the race.

Kind regards,

Jennifer"

IDIOT for uploading them... BUT there are a few top 20 riders sitting with KOM's on certain epic parts.. ALSO IDIOTS for uploading when you know what the rules state. where you trying to see if you are going to get caught?? WELL YOU DID!!!!

Email received... OOPS!

"Dear Rider,

Kind regards,

Jennifer"

Interesting that they are following up, and also that they didn't say to take it off, but to make it private. Rules seemed to suggest you can't upload at all.

Haven't they go anything better to do ffs?

What's the point of having the rule if they are not going to enforce it, otherwise they can just as well take it out of the rulebook.

Threat of lifetime ban a bit harsh though imo

Jeez, what would happen if you got caught doping and uploading to strava... 2 lifetime bans? Ban your kids?

What will they do if you upload a route and have already been banned for doping! They must be sweating on what that spanish dude is going to do...

Just kidding, I fully understand their point as they need to protect their assets and good relationships with the landholders (do they pay landholders for access during the race?). A rule is a rule and if you signed up then you signed up to all the rules.

Edited by hellocolour

What's the point of having the rule if they are not going to enforce it, otherwise they can just as well take it out of the rulebook.

My Bank Manager has also given me a lifetime ban to do the Epic. $$$$ ??????????

this rule is in place to stop riders from trying to ride the route at different stages during the year.

the farmers only open up their land for this race.

if people started abusing this the cape epic would have a hard time convincing the farmers to let them use their land.

AndyDude - are you riding the EPIC next year ?

AndyDude - are you riding the EPIC next year ?

No. Once was enough. Got the t-shirt, but wasn't really THAT great for me. Really keen for the Joberg2C though after doing the Sani2C earlier this year.