Cape Argus refuse to tell my 73yr old father his race time.

thebrewster

I am Lloyd's dad and know that he has posted this. I also know the rules.There is a concession to us oldies to start earlier and my group was EE @ 0750. My computer time was just on 6.15 gale-force headwind and all. I also stopped to help some female folk with a jammed chain and puncture also enjoying the comradie and ambiance of the race. In the howler 4 years ago I was given a time and certificate and in previously when exceeding 7h.

When checking results no time could be found or given and cut-was exceeded.

Having travelled from East London, a costly exercise surely this was not too much to ask, even my photo's were not listed. I will seriously reconsider entering again.

Yes I do see on racetec they gave you a Finish Time in 2009 and 2010 with 7h11 and 7h29 Respectively, so it is weird you didn't get a time in 2014 then. (unless they did take a stance to stop timing at 7hrs this year)

You sure your Chip was on and working correctly??

Ps maybe set your Bike Clock to not stop on movement in the future and you will get your total time without the helping others and mechanicals.

Edited by Ferret69

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my pitch on this topic.

Firstly congrats to Hudson12 for still being active and attempting events.

Everyone enters a race and agrees to participate according to the rules of the event.

It is the participants responsibility to ensure that they are able to complete the race

within the official cut-off time to be recognised as a finisher and to have a time recorded.

Where factors affect the majority of the participants, the organisers are within their right to make adjustments.

Here are a couple of what if's

What if you did not help those ladies, would you have finished within the cut-off?

Would you still have enjoyed the race?

What if you didn't stop so long at the water points?

I am Lloyd's dad and know that he has posted this. I also know the rules.There is a concession to us oldies to start earlier and my group was EE @ 0750. My computer time was just on 6.15 gale-force headwind and all. I also stopped to help some female folk with a jammed chain and puncture also enjoying the comradie and ambiance of the race. In the howler 4 years ago I was given a time and certificate and in previously when exceeding 7h.

Having travelled from East London, a costly exercise surely this was not too much to ask, even my photo's were not listed. I will seriously reconsider entering again.

And the apple does not fall far from the tree!

My father has completed a total of 12 Cape Argus Cycle tours. This year however, he sadly did not make the 7 hour cut-off time. Not unsurprising considering he'd just his second knee replacement a few months prior to the race and decided to take it "slow", despite the titanium improvements.

The problem is that the Cape Argus have still not released his results???

Upon querying this with the event organisers, their response was: "The rules for this event clearly state that each participant has 7 hours to complete the event in order to receive an official result" Which seems rather ludicrous considering they also call it "The World's Largest Timed Cycle Race".

Understandably rules are rules but to not even acknowledge his race time seems a little unfair?

It's now the 22nd of May and the last we've heard from the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is the following: "They are having an on-going discussion and I will inform you of their decision" and so I thought I should post this here before it gets lost in the obscure bureaucratic process which this lovely cycle race seems to have become.

doesnt he have the time on his own timing mechanism. Almost every guy who cares, has one?

I am Lloyd's dad and know that he has posted this. I also know the rules.

Sir,

By your own admission you know the rules and having done the race before, I surmise you knew them before you voluntarily entered and bound your self to them.

I suspect most of us are, out of resect for your age, unwilling to point out that you did not infact "compete" the race. To do so you would have had to ride the distance in less that 7 hours. You failed to do so; your non-completion does not entitle you to any special dispensation.

If everyone of the 30 000 odd cyclists WHO ACTUALLY DID the race innsisted on being discussed on two seperate meetings of the organising committee, the committee would be incapable of organising the next event.

I strongly suspect that if you chose not to make the costly journey from the eastern Cape in furure, the organisers would be delighted. Thet surely can do without prima donnas, or what ever the male equivalent is.

Sir,

By your own admission you know the rules and having done the race before, I surmise you knew them before you voluntarily entered and bound your self to them.

I suspect most of us are, out of resect for your age, unwilling to point out that you did not infact "compete" the race. To do so you would have had to ride the distance in less that 7 hours. You failed to do so; your non-completion does not entitle you to any special dispensation.

If everyone of the 30 000 odd cyclists WHO ACTUALLY DID the race innsisted on being discussed on two seperate meetings of the organising committee, the committee would be incapable of organising the next event.

I strongly suspect that if you chose not to make the costly journey from the eastern Cape in furure, the organisers would be delighted. Thet surely can do without prima donnas, or what ever the male equivalent is.

**primo uomo

Hudson, well done, many (myself included) are simply jealous of your ability at your age. I must point out some inaccuracies in your story though... in bold above. At your age it's OK to help some female folk, even if it takes time. Hell, don't we all wish we could do that. (At 73 I mean) ;)

To hell with the results, you know you did it (The Argus I mean ;) )

OK nobody says it like Eddy does.

Still a less manicured answer: You did not finish the race. You finished a lovely training ride on closed roads with waterpoints. The race finished after 7hours. My father of 74 still runs competitively - would never use any excuse for missing a cut off. I am glad he doesnt. What would happen if they make exeptions for every person with every possible excuse - would flu count?

If you think time is that important you should keep it yourself. I suspect you want it on the website so that you can count it as another done. You cannot.

Clearly it is the mere fact that exceptions have been made in the past, that created this expectation from you.

PS: My Father, my wife and myself have missed cut-offs in the Comrades or Two Oceans. It sucks. That is what makes it an achievement to finish.

Enjoy your riding.