The Munga MTB Race

MrFine

just listened on 702 sports talk about this race Alex Harris has set up.R1000000 dollar prize money.From Bloemfontein to stallenboch in five days.First team R700000 dollars.Starting in December.R10000 dollar entry fee.Must be quite something if you have the funds available.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like a race for the really crazy okes, wonder who from the hub is mad enough to sign up.

$10,000 (thats US$) entry fee... i dont think it will be your typical pro team that wins this... those teams that can race none stop for 1000km without sleep are going to have a shot... Its Cannonball run on a bicycle!!! Excellent stuff!!!

I was at the launch last night. 1000km Unsupported as well. There will be 5 villages on the route with food and mechanical stations, but you cannot send anything to these villages. You will have to fix your own bike with whatever is there.

The race will start on 3PM on the 3rd of December, and you will have 120 hours to get to stellenbosch. It is your choice if you want to sleep/eat/rest or whatever.

First prize is USD 750,000, second USD 100,000 and third USD 50,000. There is then a USD 100,000 underdog prize which is a lucky draw for all finishers outside the top 3.

This is an awesome idea, but you need some big balls to be able to finish it

Should be a great race though with a all the big names in the sport. Racing for that prize will definitely change a few attitudes.

Alex Harris is also most likely to win it! Hmmm I wonder if this is more of ah investment for him ;-)

Alex Harris is also most likely to win it! Hmmm I wonder if this is more of ah investment for him ;-)

You are only as strong as the weakest partner.. wonder who is team mate will be.

USD 10 000.00 puts it out of range for most of the Hubbers I do believe unless sponsored.Would have loved to give a go though.

Plenty people tough enough to take this on and would love to ... prize money or no prize money its a personal challenge i am sure many would love to do... but with a $10,000 entry fee? common you have just excluded ... so many people i understand wanting to have an elite group of people but an elite group of strong riders or an elite group of people with money?

I reckon that entry is so much is that they only get entries from people who are really serious about this event..

Can ypu imagine doing 200km per day in the summer heat for 5 day.. sjoe.

Archived