best tubes for non-tubeless bikes

boristheblade

when buying new tubes for the mtb, what is the best option?

NB - i dont have tubless tyres.

are these Slime Smart Tubes the best option?

thanks

post-57908-0-37914100-1401352346_thumb.jpg

i just go the cheapest route... those bulk packs from CRC, @R35 a tube. most of my flats are snakebites, so slime no use

Last time I rode slimed tubes they held out reasonably well against thorns and other piercing objects.

The main downside is that if the tube doesn't seal itself, it can be tricky to patch because of the slime. So always carry a spare tube.

Edited by Nick.

will go tubeless. but not now.

still new to the sport, and the initial costs are a bit much.

thought i would do the conversion to tubeless once i need to replace the tyres that came with the bike.

makes the most sense to me

I used to ride with those ultra thick thorn proof tubes from Sportsmans with tyre liners as well. A bit heavy but you will never have a puncture! I stopped using those slimed tubes because they never seem to seal and the sealant can make a royal mess of everything and clog up the valve.

Edited by Mojoman

anyone have the Kenda Kwick Seal tube?

i was just informed that my LBS only stocks the Kenda, and not the "Slime Smart Tube" anymore.

Although my MTB is tubeless, I buy regular tubes for the rest of the family. I inject Stans in the tubes from my personal stash.

Just yesterday my son pulled a mother of a devil thorn from his wheel...we spun it a couple rotations and sealed up...something to consider

Lasted me on a trip from Kenya to Tanzania and across Zanzibar.

No issues.

Please share!

Ran tubes for a while and my friend still does. Conti tubes with some Joe's NoFlats sealant in works like a charm, and not hugely expensive. Conti tubes have removable Presta valve cores that makes life a lot simpler.