Hi I was recently introduced to track cycling at Hector Norris park through VWE cycling academy Where you hire a bike on a month to month basis and you get a group class every week and racing on sat.

I am surprised at how much I enjoy it, it differs from the road and even more mtb, but I love it. Especially now as the amount of road races are very limited.

I am actually considering getting a track bike, the problem is where, these things seems to be vary rare? Anybody know where you can get track bike/frame in the gauteng area?

Also where are all the velodromes in gauteng? I obviously know about hector norris park, but I heard there was/is on in krugersdorp? Anybody know exactly where and what condition it is in?

I also heard they where planning to build one in potch, did this ever happen?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. HNP has a really nice league set-up for Saturday.

2. Pilditch Stadion has a velodrome, 250m. Hectic, but also fun.

3. Krugersdorp has a velodrome,was closed to the public, I do not know if it still is closed though.

4. Getting track bikes/frames, very scarse commodity, mostly people self import, specially if you want a bike that fits you properly.

1. HNP has a really nice league set-up for Saturday.

2. Pilditch Stadion has a velodrome, 250m. Hectic, but also fun.

3. Krugersdorp has a velodrome,was closed to the public, I do not know if it still is closed though.

4. Getting track bikes/frames, very scarse commodity, mostly people self import, specially if you want a bike that fits you properly.

last week was my first day at the league and it was awesome :)

importing is easier said than done though.

I might be going over to the uk later in the year. wonder if its not easier to buy and there and bring it back urself. Have no idea what the costs will be.

But surely it must be less than velodrome cost of 200 pounds to deliver

I imported 2 bikes from the UK and it was not difficult at all. It was as easy as click-click, ding-dong. You just have to be very sure of the bike size one wants etc. If you happen to go to England, so much easier because you would be able to claim tax back. However there might be import duties when entering SA. I do not go through velodrome shop, they expensive. X all the way, good value for money. But I suspect you could also be helped through bike shops to get Fuji, Giant or even a Dolan bike.

It is a very niche sport in cycling, worth it though, place to make friends who become like family.

Hi RastaMan,

Keep eyes and ears open at HNP. I used to go with road bike and got a beginners track there for a good price. I got it resprayed and I go train on some weekends. Also enjoy it though.. :thumbup:

Hey, RastaMan, glad VWE is working out for you. Tell Jezza (Jeremy) that Tumbleweed says hello.

I believe they have some more bikes in the pipeline. Sounds promising.

Potch couldnt get the money to build the track, I believe the track will be build in Durban or in Pietermaritzburg

Potch couldnt get the money to build the track, I believe the track will be build in Durban or in Pietermaritzburg

I'd reckon PMB would be the safer bet. They have gained a lot of recognition for being a cycling city. Hasn't the city just been awarded the para track worlds?

The Krugersdorp track was demolished a few years ago when the stadium was bought by one of the big football clubs as a training facility

The Krugersdorp track was demolished a few years ago when the stadium was bought by one of the big football clubs as a training facility

Eish! I grew up in K'dorp - used to do many an interschool meeting there, lying on the banking after my events eating vetkoek.... glory days!

• 2 weeks later...

this sport looks like it is picking up again

this Saturday and last week Saturday we had more than 15 competitors in the school & women cat

about 10 competitors in the d cat(new riders)

and about 15 in the a group

• 4 months later...

Are you still riding at HNP RastaMan?

I'm interested in perhaps trying but not quite sure where to start. Who can I contact for some more info?

Thanks 

Are you still riding at HNP RastaMan?

I'm interested in perhaps trying but not quite sure where to start. Who can I contact for some more info?

Thanks 

Hi

you can contact Martin Van Wyk (from VWE Track Acadamy on Facebook & twitter)

Here is there website

http://www.vwetrackacademy.co.za/

HNP was packed this weekend fro Joburg Grand Prix, at one point there was no more parking available. Awesome competition and great racing.

The Gauteng GP was fantastic this weekend, quite a competitive ladies bunch. Big numbers, competitive riding.

VWE brought in quite a lot of new bikes which are for sale, so they can hook people up with bikes. Track racing is picking up quite a bit, also due to the organisers having introduced a masters category when racing GP's AND Interprovs. Working really well. 

Gauteng won the Masters category, next year we will take the Elites category too.