1x11 vs 2x10

Steven D Williams

Hi All,

I have done a search on this, but wasn't able to find much...

My question is, considering i am not one of those riders that ride at an exesively high cadence (ie, ride in the big ring on my 2x10 most of the time, with the exception of steep climbs), would the 1x11 suit me / my style of riding? Are there ways around this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most try 1x10 first to see if it suits. If you already have a clutch RD, then all you need is a narrow wide chainring, most start with a 34T and go form there. It is a cheap option to try out as you only need to buy the chainring and then remove the front shifter and FD.

I run 1x10 with a 34 front ring and 11-36 at the back. The only limitation is the git in the saddle. I ride in tokai and can (if I'm feeling strong) get to the mast and make it around the noordhoek loop (which is a beeeeyatch of a route)

It would be great to have that bail out gear on the bottom end (the 42t) but it's not a necessity. The more you ride the stronger you'll get

As a bit of context to this... fully kitted, including bike, I am pedalling 130 kg up the hills. If I (as a moerse unfit weekend hacker) can do that, then well there you go

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

The limitation with 1x10 is the 11t gear at the back, which reduces your top end when running a 34t up front. For most this shouldn't be an issue, but for those with enough power might want the 10t at the back that the 1x11 offers.

The 1x10 will cut out some options. If you go the single blade route, get the full 1x11. That last 42t does make a difference for that once-in-a-while-extra-steep-mountaineering climbs

if cost is not option, got for 1 x 11.

if youre a cheapskate and want to see what it's like.

gooi 1 x 10 on your current casette.

If you are a weekend warrior, just playing around and like the look of no FD or left shifter, then go for 1x10.

If you are pushing yourself to be as competitive as can be then you might be missing out on some gears.

I personally found that you loose too many gears, top and bottom, with 1x10 on long rides.

With 1x10 I could not even get up to speed in the car park.

Not too worried about climbing, my SS sorts that out HTFU-style, very quickly!

1x11 offers good gear ratio.

Edit: 2x10 offers better ratio!

Edited by Tankman

I chanGed my Silverback to 1x 10 and loved it so I decided to go XX1 and Loving it

I have to say the 42 t does help and comes in handy when doing climbs when you racing

If undecided try 1x10 and then move to XX1 - loving it

Edited by Heel Drop

Your terrain, wheel size and strength/fitness will influence your decision, and after that should influence the size of front chainring.

At the 100miler a couple of weeks ago my riding buddy was on his new Spez with a 1x10 setup for the first time.

While at the Cape Epic he was pulling me through the flat sections, on that day he couldn't hold onto my back wheel anymore despite paddling like a squirrel. Since then he's experimenting with different ratios to find a setup which suits him properly.

IMHO I prefer a 2x10 setup - especially for marathon races. For me the wider range outweighs the advantages of a single front ring.

But it all comes down to what kind of riding you do and where your strength are in riding style.

There is no right answer.

In 1x11, 2x10, 3x10 etc there are always gears we use most - the gears outside of those gears are "insurance".

"Insurance" can be in the form of pedaling 60kph+ on dirt roads ala Joberg2C style or cranking your ass off at 6kph up some crazy Dr. Evil hill at the Epic.

How much "insurance" you need will dictate how many gears you put on your bike.

Personally if you have 2x10 there is no reason to go 1x11 - all you'll gain is a few weight weenie grams and lose some "insurance". If you have cash to burn and bling trumps logic then bang on the 1x11 - pride of ownership rocks! You're in Joberg and are unlikely to need much insurance - 1x11 will serve your needs well.

This will answer all your questions about the spread on different gearing options:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

XX1 with 34t up front : 6.9 - 1.6

38/24t with a 11-36 cassette : 7.0 - 1.3

So top end very similar, but your "granny gear" on the 2x10 will be easier.

I'd go 1x11 any day of the week, just expensive!