OFM classic no more

Ocin

It was apparently discussed on Super Cycling last night and saw some posts on FS Cycling Facebook page. The PPA has stepped in together with Mangaung Metro and the event is back on, details to follow.

They are not officially involved in the mtb event for the Saturday but BFN Cycling Club will be hosting an event.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was apparently discussed on Super Cycling last night and saw some posts on FS Cycling Facebook page. The PPA has stepped in together with Mangaung Metro and the event is back on, details to follow.

They are not officially involved in the mtb event for the Saturday but BFN Cycling Club will be hosting an event.

eish I wish there were some more details. I saw the FB post, thought someone here will have more.

I know a few EC guys who will be very keen to get a last chance to improve seedings. 

I wont be able to make it as we are moving that weekend  :cursing:  and to be honest I sort of stopped training when the race was cancelled (I was aiming for my first sub 3)

Hopefully a sponsor can still be found. Similar to the Soweto marathon being canned last year due to lack of funding / sponsor POLITICAL WRANGLING and being back this year.

there's a tug of war on the soweto marathon and who owns it. think it's between the soweto running club and the city. last year everyone lost out.

eish I wish there were some more details. I saw the FB post, thought someone here will have more.

I know a few EC guys who will be very keen to get a last chance to improve seedings. 

I wont be able to make it as we are moving that weekend  :cursing:  and to be honest I sort of stopped training when the race was cancelled (I was aiming for my first sub 3)

It is very short notice, hope they can get it organised in the couple of weeks they have left...

Wil6 might know more...

there's a tug of war on the soweto marathon and who owns it. think it's between the soweto running club and the city. last year everyone lost out.

Aish, the public must always pay when politics are concerned, whether in Randela's or other means.

Just received this email, not much info though:

Morning all

As most of you might know by now, Bloemfontein will have a new qualifying race for the Cape Town Cycle Tour (Argus) this year.
When OFM announced that they will no longer host the OFM Classic, we started to work very hard to get an alternative.

With the help of Mangaung Municipality and Pedal Power Association, the new race became a reality on Monday.
The new race will be know as the PPA Mangaung Cycle Race and it will take place on Sunday 2 November.

We are very great-full to Mangaung Municipality for their commitment to this race as well as the support and commitment from PPA.
We hope that the new race will grow in stature and that the benefits of having the race will become clear to all cyclists in the Free State and Central South Africa.

Please keep an eye open for the entries and support this new race.
Please help us to spread the word and to get as many riders to enter as possible.

We need you there! 

Safe Cycling.

New Argus qualifier for the Free State - PPA Mangaung Cycle Tour -Sunday 2 November 2014.

Bfn Club will host a MTB race on the Saturday.

Official Press release -

PEDAL POWER ASSOCIATION AND FREE STATE CYCLING WORK TOGETHER TO BRING A CYCLE TOUR SEEDING EVENT TO BLOEMFONTEIN

Bloemfontein will have a Cape Town Cycle Tour seeding series event for 2014! After it was announced earlier this year that the OFM Classic was cancelled, a dedicated operation was launched to ensure that cyclists from primarily the Free State will still be able to participate in a local event that can be used to seed them for the 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour.

“We were approached in September by Free State Cycling to see if there was any way in which local cyclists could be given the opportunity to participate in a local seeding event for the 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour, the largest timed funride in the world which takes place on Sunday 8 March 2015,” said Pedal Power Association (PPA) chairman Steve Hayward.

“With the Mangaung Municipality onboard as a sponsor, PPA has agreed to come onboard and assist to put on the event, throwing our 30-plus years of event expertise behind the local organising committee to make sure that a top-class event will be presented on Sunday 2 November 2014.”

The new event will be known as the PPA Mangaung Cycle Tour.

“We are very grateful to Mangaung Municipality for their commitment to this race as well as the support and commitment from PPA. We hope that the new event will grow in stature and that the benefits of having the event will become clear to all cyclists in the Free State and Central South Africa,” said Pieter Herbst of Free State Cycling.

For 2014, the event will be aimed at the recreational rider. Due to budgetary constraints, no prize money will be offered, although the local professional riders will, as in the past, be most welcome to participate in the event.

“We are proud to announce that any profits of the event will be ploughed back into cycling-related projects in the Free State,” Hayward said.  

Participants can enter one of two distances: a 100 km route (which will be the Cape Town Cycle Tour seeding distance), or a 40 km route. Entry fees are respectively R220 for the 100 km route (R200 for PPA members) and R150 for the 40 km route (R130 for PPA members).

Entries will open this week. Online entries will be taken until Sunday 26 October 2014 at 24h00. Late entries will be available at registration the day prior to the event, at an additional R80 admin fee.

EVENT DETAILS

PPA Mangaung Cycle Tour 2014

Sunday 2 November 2014

Start time: From 06h00

Venue: Old Greys Sports Grounds, Att Horak Avenue, Bloemfontein (opposite Free State Cricket Stadium)

The routes will be published shortly.

Very good news! Would love to fly up one day for a road race in Bloem

Motorpace. The best training for Bloem.

Archived