Prices at Shops - what are they smoking

I went down to Cyclelab today and wanted some chamois cream. So i decided to treat myself to Assos. However when i looked at the price I was needless to say a bit shocked. R 249-00 for a tub.

Now i know that this stuff is great but i also know that the average price was R 110-00 to R 130-00 when i last bought.

So what has changed to get from R 130-00 to R 249?

Then I went looking around there and I think that I was clearly bemused.

Shoes for R 4999.

Pearl Izumi jerseys R 1900-00.

Garmin Edge 500 R 3750-00

And lots of other examples.

Now unless i am living in an alternate reality, those prices are high and the margins are stupendous to say the least.

And they have gone up appreciably since i last looked.

So it seems like the concept of a large volume retailer also lead to a much higher cost base and appreciably plump margins.

Or am i missing something vital here.

Prices from overseas shops don't look anything close.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have the same problem with my other hobby. Keeping an aquarium got very expensive. A bottle of liquid plant ferts and Co2 replacement (Excel) went from R166-00 to R204-00 per bottle in one month.

And that is at a cheap shop. The other shops had a 20%+ increase in prices.

But seen in cycling that things went nuts. My salary does not support the sport any more. I will use the bike as transport and that will be all. I can't afford cycling any more.

Have the same problem with my other hobby. Keeping an aquarium got very expensive. A bottle of liquid plant ferts and Co2 replacement (Excel) went from R166-00 to R204-00 per bottle in one month.

But seen in cycling that things went nuts. My salary does not support the sport any more. I will use the bike as transport and that will be all. I can't afford cycling any more.

Sad but true .... my commuting to work pays for my cycling as I cut have my transport costs vs owning a car with insurance, maintenance and fuel.

Rigid Single Speed is your answer :thumbup:

I buy from www.chainreaction.com its a UK web site fantastic selection for chamois cream I believe the cream they use for cows udders is the way to go udderit or something like it well known and used by the serious mtb multi stage racers

I buy from www.chainreaction.com its a UK web site fantastic selection for chamois cream I believe the cream they use for cows udders is the way to go udderit or something like it well known and used by the serious mtb multi stage racers

cow udder cream...WTF?

Rigid Single Speed is your answer :thumbup:

Single Speed Scott Roadbike standing at my feet as we "speak"

Change thread title to "FOA Chukky & Rouxtjie" for advice on where to get cream :ph34r:

tell us more on the cow cream?????

tell us more on the cow cream?????

tell us more about this chain store?

Archived