Trek Warranty Question - Avid Elixir Brake problem

WKNDWRRR

Hi Hubbers

I bought a new Trek Superfly FS online from a company based in Nelspruit a few months back. I'm in Cape Town.

My Avid Elixir 1 rear brake stopped working last week, the lever touches the grip without any braking at all. If you pump the lever it works a bit but then becomes spongy and useless again.

Thinking that the brake needed to be bled, I took it to my LBS.

They were unable to fix it and suggested that the brake was faulty and that I should contact the original retailer for repair or replacement. Apparently the Avids are notoriously unreliable.

I will contact the original retailer in Nelspruit tomorrow for advice but I thought I would get some clarity and advice from you learned Hub people first.

My understanding is that I can take it to any Trek retailer and they will deal with the problem under warranty.

Is this true?

I checked the Trek website and found a number of Trek retailers. The Sportsmans Warehouse in Sunningdale is listed as a Trek retailer, can I just take it to them and expect them to fix it?

Hiow does it work?

I dont think you can expect them to fix it..I would also not trust a sportsmans warehouse to repair my bike..brakes are sensitive equipment and you dont want just anyone working on them..

I would rather phone the agents for avid. As long as you have the original invoice they should help you. Good luck though.

What he said

I have a Superfly 100 and the first thing I took off was the Avids.

My rear brake was also non existent after a while, Northcliff Cycles tried the best they could, got it going again, off they went and replaced them with Formula RX.

No wonder SRAM dropped the Avid brand now.

Oh no not another Q&A turned into "I hate Avids thread"........

At least the Avid's are serviceable. Contact the original supplier, you might have to courier the brakes to them to sort out. But that is the price you pay for not butying local.

Edited by PeterF

I'm not about to bash on avid's elixir range, but heck, the ratio of good vs bad reviews are 1:20, so as annoying as this may sound hearing it again, you are likely better off buying a different brand.. Shimano ought to be good, but if you have the funds available, I'd highly suggest Formula The One's- save'd me speeding off sharp turns with drops many times.

As for the warranty... I'd take it to my LBS and ask for a cost estimate to repair it (sounds like cheap o-ring fix or expensive MC fix). Depending on that cost estimate, I'll decide whether its "better" to get it done and dusted at the LBS or courier the brake to nelspruit, maybe getting a replacement or new cylinder and save some money of that expensive fix.

PS: don't get caught in chainreactioncycles' clearance sale trap, don't buy those discounted avids

Edited by Dirkitect

I have a Superfly 100 and the first thing I took off was the Avids.

My rear brake was also non existent after a while, Northcliff Cycles tried the best they could, got it going again, off they went and replaced them with Formula RX.

No wonder SRAM dropped the Avid brand now.

Sram still have Avid as a brand,the caliper of the new guide brake is a Avid part rebadged as a Sram product.

Hi Hubbers

I bought a new Trek Superfly FS online from a company based in Nelspruit a few months back. I'm in Cape Town.

My Avid Elixir 1 rear brake stopped working last week, the lever touches the grip without any braking at all. If you pump the lever it works a bit but then becomes spongy and useless again.

Thinking that the brake needed to be bled, I took it to my LBS.

They were unable to fix it and suggested that the brake was faulty and that I should contact the original retailer for repair or replacement. Apparently the Avids are notoriously unreliable.

I will contact the original retailer in Nelspruit tomorrow for advice but I thought I would get some clarity and advice from you learned Hub people first.

My understanding is that I can take it to any Trek retailer and they will deal with the problem under warranty.

Is this true?

I checked the Trek website and found a number of Trek retailers. The Sportsmans Warehouse in Sunningdale is listed as a Trek retailer, can I just take it to them and expect them to fix it?

Hiow does it work?

As long as you've got proof of purchase, any LBS will be able to return the brakes to the SRAM agents who will sort them out for you. No need to go through the original dealer.

Hi Bud, I have the same problem with my Trek Al super Fly also on the back brake. My bike has been in a view times to be bled and then in for a warranty claim. It worked great for a view rides and now back to its old tricks. So going in next week for another warranty claim!!! Hold Thumbs. PS The Bike Basement has been a great help with it all.