What is happening to my Ikon's?

Morwa

Hubbers,

While prepping Ugly Betty (my Spark 940) for the K2C last night I found weird "bubbles" forming on my Maxxis Ikon rear tyre.  It's on two sperate spots. One big and one small "bubble".  What the hell is happening?  Tyres are about 12 months old.

I'm running Arch EX rims with Stan's sealant.  Is this the dreaded delamination that everyone is talking about?  What do I do?  Bite the bullet and get new tyres.....?

post-3806-0-57960400-1410936411_thumb.jpg

post-3806-0-28127200-1410936431_thumb.jpg

post-3806-0-11024800-1410936459_thumb.jpg

post-3806-0-75076900-1410936467_thumb.jpg

post-3806-0-58958600-1410936478_thumb.jpg

Edited by Morwa

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@rouxtjie.... If I pop the bubbles... will it be safe to ride?

mmmmm if it was just training, I would say ride them into the ground

Considering you have a stage race coming up...rather change

OK... if Stan's are causing this, what sealant to use in future to prevent this?  Sealant that actually work.

OK... if Stan's are causing this, what sealant to use in future to prevent this?  Sealant that actually work.

Eish like lubes, there are pro's and con's to all, and everyone has their favourite. Stans is still tops for me.

Has any research been done to determine if tyre sealant causes delamination? If it did then surely all of the tyres from a manufacturer running a particular sealant would experience the same problem. Alternatively the tyres would delaminate in numerous places. If so then the stockist would be obliged to tell you not to use a specific brand.

Had the same happen with kenda karma I had.

When I took off the tyre to replace, I noticed small thorns on the inside of the tyres incidentally where the delamination was as well. I can only assume that the sealant (not stans) seeped between the layers of the tyres and caused the delamination.

Same could happen if the inside layer of rubber is porous in certain areas exposing ways for the sealant to work it's way between the layers.

Had the same happen with kenda karma I had.

When I took off the tyre to replace, I noticed small thorns on the inside of the tyres incidentally where the delamination was as well. I can only assume that the sealant (not stans) seeped between the layers of the tyres and caused the delamination.

Same could happen if the inside layer of rubber is porous in certain areas exposing ways for the sealant to work it's way between the layers.

Yip exactly what happens...amonia based sealant "dissolves" the glue at a spot where there was a puncture exposing a cross section of the tyre.

So basically what everyone is saying.... Get new tyres, stick to Stan's.  If it happens again....just bad luck. Get new tyres.  At R650 a tyre.... MTB'ing is going to get very expensive!

stans is crap, if is doesn't turn to snot balls it eats your tires (sorry Rouxtjie)

I use tyrefluid, green stuff I get from my local wheel and tire place. www.tyrefluid.co.za 

stans is crap, if is doesn't turn to snot balls it eats your tires (sorry Rouxtjie)

I use tyrefluid, green stuff I get from my local wheel and tire place. www.tyrefluid.co.za

No probs bud, I have tried all of them...always come back to stan's.