Edgescope: load and view your ride from Garmin Edge GPS on smartphone

carbon29er

I always had to wait to get to a PC to upload my ride, obviously useless on a stage race or in the bush but I found and loaded Edgescope. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.fulvio.edgescope

The blurb:

Edgescope is an Android application to view activity data from any Garmin Edge GPS through the USB cable, simply get a micro OTG cable and upload and share your ride.

It can load activity .fit files directly from your Edge device or from the file system.

It shows main activity information, as well as the graphs and the map.

You can also upload your activity on Garmin Connect and Strava sites from Edgescope.

My experience:

This free app has been a revelation, after my workout/ride I simply connect my Garmin to my phone via a OTG mico USB cable and select the workout from the Garmin.  I can then view my ride through a simple summary screen:

post-35786-0-88559700-1411454146_thumb.png

It is then possible to upload to Strava and Garmin connect by simply touching the screen.

Additional screens show your route on a map (similar to a Strava map):

post-35786-0-34012800-1411454487_thumb.png

or you can review the graphs of your speed, altitude or heart rate.

It takes about 30 seconds to upload after a ride, so it's possible to do while waiting for the post ride coffee to arrive.  But to do this you will need to carry the OTG cable on your ride. 10g extra weight.

Once you upload to Strava, all the additional Strava functionality becomes available, as if you have used your smartphone. With one huge exception. ALL your data is loaded, accurately, not like the phone app where you are given extra metres climbing.

I've used Edgescope since February, I can really recommend it if you have an Android phone and a Garmin Edge GPS.

post-35786-0-12199400-1411453861_thumb.jpg

Is the 'OTG micro USB cable' readily available (can you just go buy it off the shelf in a shop) and how much does it cost?

Ive seen them at HiFi corp and you can also get the adaptor that goes from micro usb to std female usb so you can plug pretty much anything into your phone.

Ive seen them at HiFi corp and you can also get the adaptor that goes from micro usb to std female usb so you can plug pretty much anything into your phone.

Just make sure you buy an OTG On the Go cable, no idea what the difference is but a plain female to micro will not mount your device.

Just make sure you buy an OTG On the Go cable, no idea what the difference is but a plain female to micro will not mount your device.

Ah yes makes sense... :thumbup:

Will it upload from my Garmin to Endomondo via the phone using this cable?

I don't think the Endomondo app has a option to manually create a ride.

Will it upload from my Garmin to Endomondo via the phone using this cable?

I don't think the Endomondo app has a option to manually create a ride.

According to the description it would appear Garmin Connect and Strava only ....

'You can also upload your activity on Garmin Connect and Strava sites from Edgescope'

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded the app, and uploaded to Strava, no problem.

The Garmin Connect option: " Upload failed"

Anyone else have this issue?

• 4 weeks later...

Downloaded the app, and uploaded to Strava, no problem.

The Garmin Connect option: " Upload failed"

Anyone else have this issue?

Garmin Connect upload often fails with that message but then, as if by magic, the ride sometimes appears in Garmin.

I tend to do a bulk upload to Garmin monthly, the Strava bit straight from the phone is what I really want out of this.

I started using an app called Strava Uploader. Works great. The same developer has a Garmin Connect Uploader app too, which also won't work. Not sure why the Edge 800 won't upload to Garmin via the apps but works perfectly to Strava.

I believe Edgescope is avialable on both OS.

not sure about the rest.

I just typed Garmin Uploader into the search bar and got a few options. (some costs around R14.00 on Android)

I started using an app called Strava Uploader. Works great. The same developer has a Garmin Connect Uploader app too, which also won't work. Not sure why the Edge 800 won't upload to Garmin via the apps but works perfectly to Strava.

The Garmin API changes frequently and developers just get gatvol making the required changes....

Can Iphone users download the app?

I don't believe so as I'm not sure you can connect an external drive or usb card to an iPhone.

Archived