The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Weather and time will play a huge role in how you ride stage 3.If the weather is anything like last year and you hit Rooiberg from mid morning ensure you stock up well at the last waterpoint.

As Sias said be careful for the ride into Calitsdorp it can bite you as you are full of adrenaline coming down the mountain and you want to give it stick.(personal expierence)

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok 17hours is not too bad, what is your longest single ride out of the +17hours (hours & distance).

6-7 hours on MTB gravel roads and proper climbs part of the route, like Paarl Mountain. Or on my road bike, same hours and a pass like Bainskloof from both sides. Distance anything from 120-165km.

6-7 hours on MTB gravel roads and proper climbs part of the route, like Paarl Mountain. Or on my road bike, same hours and a pass like Bainskloof from both sides. Distance anything from 120-165km.

ok cool thanks for the info guys 

Our training is going well, taking every possible opportunity to ride 

Hahahha ....lekka man, lekka :clap:

PS. Still trying to get a OTG cable for charging....maybe I am not looking hard enough.... :whistling:

Hahahha ....lekka man, lekka :clap:

PS. Still trying to get a OTG cable for charging....maybe I am not looking hard enough.... :whistling:

i eventually ended up with a diy jobbie which seems to be working fine.

check this link. http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-USB-OTG-host-cable-The-easy-way/?ALLSTEPS 

you only need to bridge the pin on the mini usb side, and leave the usb male adapter as is

http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/db/dbfd8cfd_difference_circuit_271738111300.jpeg

I hope someone can help indicate fitness requirements for this event. (Maybe the guys on the fittrack program since I can quantify that fairly easily.)

I need to gauge if I will be fit enough to attempt this beast.

My training was focused on Argus until now, but it has been around 8-12 hours per week and if I use last year's Trans Karoo as an indication I should be able to survive an ultra with my current legs.

I might want to shift focus in two week's time as this event is on my bucket list and reading your  comments here just entices me even more.

My current Fittrack score is around 70. What is more or less required for this event? Obviously the short answer is to "ride a lot".

Am I being realistic or should I rather just leave it till next year?

I hope someone can help indicate fitness requirements for this event. (Maybe the guys on the fittrack program since I can quantify that fairly easily.)

I need to gauge if I will be fit enough to attempt this beast.

My training was focused on Argus until now, but it has been around 8-12 hours per week and if I use last year's Trans Karoo as an indication I should be able to survive an ultra with my current legs.

I might want to shift focus in two week's time as this event is on my bucket list and reading your  comments here just entices me even more.

My current Fittrack score is around 70. What is more or less required for this event? Obviously the short answer is to "ride a lot".

Am I being realistic or should I rather just leave it till next year?

do it!!!

i eventually ended up with a diy jobbie which seems to be working fine.

check this link. http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-USB-OTG-host-cable-The-easy-way/?ALLSTEPS 

you only need to bridge the pin on the mini usb side, and leave the usb male adapter as is

http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/db/dbfd8cfd_difference_circuit_271738111300.jpeg

THANKS FANIEVB..........Will see what I can do with this....

@bonk-king I did mine with a fitness level of 55 and had a good ride.

My opinion is that you can be as fit as you want, if you do not have the mental strength, you will struggle. It is kind of a mind boggle to hit the biggest climbBout halfway.

Most difficult part for me was the stretch from the bottom of Rooiberg to Calitzdorp, geez, it just never seem to stop.

Specially if you think the water point is on the top of Rooiberg like did last year. 

Is it cold during the night? Do u need to ride with leg and arm warmers? Is a back pack needed or are there enough stops that are well stocked?

Waterpoints every 20-30kms, well stocked. Warmth depends how fast you go. Arm warmers yes, coz it gets very cold after midnight. Also if you have a problem en-route you can get very cold very quick by not moving and because of sweat. Leg warmers not so crucial. Last year was warm and we didnt even start with arm warmers. Gillet in the back pocket for early morning. You can collect also warmers at cp2 & lose it again at calitzdorp (other side of rooiberg).

Archived