The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Any tips on proper training regimes for a super endurance race such as 36One solo? Done races such as Trans Bav 3x and my 1st Freedom Challenge (ok. that ended after Rhodes with a blown knee)....

Would be interesting to hear others opinions.

Anyone? ^_^

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to hear - havent done any long races yet - booked for  the Transdraak and worked on a shcedule untill the race for some long weekend rides - around 180km on Saturdays

I've done Trans Baviaans twice (230km). I attempted the Freedom Challenge RASA this year but a wipe out and torn knee had me withdrawing 10 days & 700km later. But going back to do Race to Rhodes this year and 36One part of the training. As with most of us, with normal work and family commitments, I trained between 30 - 50km Tues to Fri (with a little walking and running in the mix if I felt the urge) and between ave 60 to 120km a day - Sat & Sun. My longest training ride in the past 8 months 180km one shot....

I have heard that yes - Time in the saddle important and your head needs to be 'reg'!.....even though our other halves and critics tell us we need our head read! :whistling: ...

My aim is to just get out there and ride this beast and finish. I was hoping that maybe others could add some other valuable tips about how one conquers your demons, the voices in your head and the pacing of this kind of distance...

Edited by TrailWarrior

Entered and following this thread too, maybe change the heading "36one 2015" to make it easier to find.

I agree.....but don't think I can change now...unless the administrator can do it for us.

Any tips on proper training regimes for a super endurance race such as 36One solo? Done races such as Trans Bav 3x and my 1st Freedom Challenge (ok. that ended after Rhodes with a blown knee)....

Would be interesting to hear others opinions.

Anyone? ^_^

Did 361 solo followed by TransBav this year. 361 was completely different type of race for me as 36one is a lot more riding on own than what I had in Trans. Much more pack racing so the pace is faster but you working together.

We did the 36one this year, myself and a friend and his girlfriend, and we were the last group in. Mark went out ahead and did it faster than us.  No shame in saying that we were the last group in. We rode as individuals, but stuck together as a team. Our goal became to get the lady home.

It is a mental challenge. Your body can do it.

It was fun. Our experience we gained was amazing.

The checkpoints are next level, the waterpoints are out of this world.

The organization was best we have seen.

we rode 29hrs. of which was 22 moving.

you must decided from the word go, race or fun! the racing is hard and long, the fun is enjoying your time and surroundings.

We were in the middle of karoo, turned lights off just before moon came up and you could bearly see your hand infront of your face.

once moon was up, you could ride without lights it was so bright.

so yes each person had a different experience depending on your pace.

the scenery is amazing!

will do it in 2016 again! ironman next year!

Edited by leon_pro

I've done Trans Baviaans twice (230km). I attempted the Freedom Challenge RASA this year but a wipe out and torn knee had me withdrawing 10 days & 700km later. But going back to do Race to Rhodes this year and 36One part of the training. As with most of us, with normal work and family commitments, I trained between 30 - 50km Tues to Fri (with a little walking and running in the mix if I felt the urge) and between ave 60 to 120km a day - Sat & Sun. My longest training ride in the past 8 months 180km one shot....

I have heard that yes - Time in the saddle important and your head needs to be 'reg'!.....even though our other halves and critics tell us we need our head read! :whistling: ...

My aim is to just get out there and ride this beast and finish. I was hoping that maybe others could add some other valuable tips about how one conquers your demons, the voices in your head and the pacing of this kind of distance...

get a friend to ride with you! it makes the ride more enjoyable and then also a friend you can share the experience with.