Another creaking BB thread

fanievb

My XTC Comp recently developed a terrible creak   :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing: .

The creak only occurs when I pedal hard and when standing and pedalling (so its not the seatpost).

I have already done the following and the noise still persists;

1. Removed, cleaned, greased the pressfit BB bearings. I did not install new bearings

2. Removed, cleaned and greased the headset bearings and cups

3. Removed, cleaned and greased the rear axle, bearings and freewheel body 

4. Removed, cleaned and greased the rear qr and front thru axle

5. Removed, cleaned and greased/carbon paste the seatpost and saddle rails.

6. Removed, cleaned and greased the pedals (bearings, axle and threads) 

7. Removed, cleaned the chainring bolts.

Where applicable, I used the correct torque values when installing parts.

I'm considering replacing the the BB bearings, but I'm not sure if that will solve the problem.

Any ideas/advice?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is the bb shell Al? if so, suggest locktite bearing lock between the bb cups and the bb shell - just a thought, interested to see what others say...

Check for hairline cracks on the frame

:eek:  

is the bb shell Al? if so, suggest locktite bearing lock between the bb cups and the bb shell - just a thought, interested to see what others say...

yip Alu shell

On reading the heading I would have started suggesting everything you greased and probably in that order as well. So you spot on with trying to find the problem. I had the same problem and found it was my BB, re greased it. Squeak was much better but never went away completely but it was bearable. Not long after it came back. I stripped my pedals to find the axle was stuffed (admittedly they where just those standard cheaper shimano pedals that come with most mtbs). I got new pedals and re greased the BB and have done over 8000km without a noise. Unfortunately it seems you've covered both those bases, I hope you find it because its very irritating, especially when its not making a noise your mates say you not pushing hard. 

Check chainring bolts and bottle cages ;)

mmmm will check it out :thumbup:  

but doubt it as I put some locktite on the nuts when installing 

I once had a creak on my bike which originated from the stem and handlebar interface.  The sound was only heard when I was standing and pedaling.  I removed, cleaned and added very little anti-seize compound (Spanjaard copper-slip) and the creak was gone.

Creaking sounds are sometimes translated through the frame making them sound that they come from a different place than the origin.

I once had a creak on my bike which originated from the stem and handlebar interface.  The sound was only heard when I was standing and pedaling.  I removed, cleaned and added very little anti-seize compound (Spanjaard copper-slip) and the creak was gone.

Creaking sounds are sometimes translated through the frame making them sound that they come from a different place than the origin.

thanks going to give this a go.

i'm getting gatvol of the noise and as you say with the frame translating the noise, it's difficult to solve the issue

Check your chainring bolts. I once had "bb" creaking that was impossible to get rid of, stripped, cleaned, greased everything, nothing worked.

Then figured it happens when standing, and in the small chainring. The problem was the chainring bolts. Removed, cleaned, bit of loctite, proper torque, creak gone.

It's worth checking them. 

Check your chainring bolts. I once had "bb" creaking that was impossible to get rid of, stripped, cleaned, greased everything, nothing worked.

Then figured it happens when standing, and in the small chainring. The problem was the chainring bolts. Removed, cleaned, bit of loctite, proper torque, creak gone.

It's worth checking them. 

thx but I've already done that