Earphones and Cameras mounted to helmets?

Gornilla

What is your take on riders with earphones stuck in their ears listing to music during races where there are a lot of other rider who's safety is at risk?

How dangerous is it to yourself to ride with a camera attached to the top of your helmet(not a solid helmet)? Please comment.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday topic on tiffy Tuesday.......

Earphones - no (also race rules to consider)

Camera - yes

(PS: what is a SOLID helmet? Isn't all helmets solid?)

Learn from the mistake that Michael Shumacher made...helmet camera is not a good idea, as I think it creates a weak spot on your helmet.

Any cyclist caught in a race with earphones should be banned for 2 years from taking part in any events. I cannot see how brainless you have to be to ride with earphones and listen to music while you are on a public road...

Ear phone are illegal

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road—
(a) on the right-hand side of a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that motor vehicle or turning right at
an intersection;
(b) abreast of another cyclist proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that cyclist;
© while wearing a headset, headphones or any listening device other than a hearing aid; or
(d) while carrying another person on the pedal cycle, unless that pedal cycle is specifically equipped to carry more than one person.
(4) A cyclist must exercise due care while—
(a) passing a motor vehicle or turning right in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(a); or
(b) passing another cyclist in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(b).

I think it should just be banned outright while riding a bike.  It is distracting and you have Zero idea what is going on around you.  This should also be applied to IPOD ZOMBIES walking or running around with that stuff in their ears.  No matter how hard you shout or ring your bike bell on the trail they won't hear you, and then they act all indignant when they are frightened out of their mind by a biker passing.

Get that s*&t out of your ears and enjoy the sound of nature.

Camera on helmet vs headlight fixed to helmet  :whistling:  .........both are attachment to the helmet. Maybe a number of disqualifications at future night races..............if the law is applied consistently.

Camera on helmet (some helmets even made with special attachments)  :thumbup:

post-41755-0-89258100-1416293347_thumb.jpg

post-41755-0-50063900-1416293347_thumb.jpg

post-41755-0-12694500-1416293347_thumb.jpg

Definitely not this...................

post-41755-0-74758100-1416293346_thumb.jpg

But if a light is all good.........why not a small camera  :ph34r:  :devil:  ;)

post-41755-0-26708700-1416293346_thumb.jpg

Camera on helmet vs headlight fixed to helmet  :whistling:  .........both are attachment to the helmet. Maybe a number of disqualifications at future night races..............if the law is applied consistently.

Camera on helmet (some helmets even made with special attachments)  :thumbup:

attachicon.gifamarahelmet-0.jpg

attachicon.gifvio_pov_1_5_camera6.jpg

attachicon.gifdogcam-helmet-cam.jpg

Definitely not this...................

attachicon.gifarticle-2640420-1E3CC98300000578-784_306x463.jpg

But if a light is all good.........why not a small camera  :ph34r:  :devil:  ;)

attachicon.gifEasyLED helmet 1.jpg

Valid point. At the end of the day whether its a camera or a light mounted to your helmet the rules should apply the same.

Why then while marshaling a race one gets so much abuse from cyclists who are asked to remove such devices?  Fellow cyclists need to inform other riders in a race that it is illegal and dangerous not for their safety but for others.!

I ride with one earphone when on the trails and not racing.

I can hear people approaching from behind (unless you have stealth tyres and a belt drive and somehow can float over the dirt and stones)

And if the person adheres to trail etiquette, I will gladly have them pass me when warned/requested.

Why then while marshaling a race one gets so much abuse from cyclists who are asked to remove such devices?  Fellow cyclists need to inform other riders in a race that it is illegal and dangerous not for their safety but for others.!

This is part of the race briefing that is done by the commisaire at the start of the batch.

If you are a marshall and you observe something illegal, you should take down the number of the rider and report to the commisaire.

This person should then be DQ'd for not following the rules of the race.

I do not wear earphones during a race, sometimes only on a off-road trail during training. Also, I do understand the reasoning behind its prohibition. There are times during a race that I wish I could hear some of my music for that extra motivation. I agree with the reasoning that a cyclist should be fully aware of his surroundings. However, this can be realised by avoiding in-ear earphones, cup-ear earphones and blasting them at high volume. I have on-ear earphones that allows me to hear my surroundings and still enjoy music.

I ride with one earphone when on the trails and not racing.

I can hear people approaching from behind (unless you have stealth tyres and a belt drive and somehow can float over the dirt and stones) :D  :lol:

And if the person adheres to trail etiquette, I will gladly have them pass me when warned/requested.

ditto! I do the same... mostly to 80's!! :thumbup:

I have never seen this rule applied. Especially with the back markers.

I saw at least 50 people at the 94.7 with earphones with no idea whats going on around them.

When you chat to them about it, you simply get abuse

Archived