Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Hi Guys and Gals.

I went cycling with my kids and I can't cycle with them next to the road and I don't want them cycling in the road.

So I had the idea of building a cyclo-cross bike.

Now I understand I need to buy a steel frame and road components older brake calipers en then the nice bigger wheels...

Have any of you ever done this before ?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am in the same boat as you. all I need though is the cyclo cross frame and wheels as I have everything else off a old bike.

So I understand a steel frame gives the tyres enough space.

or is there a certain type of frame I should look for?

I just bought a Cotic roadrat frame for this - current plan is to have it painted and the caliper mounts stripped off - going to be disk only.

I might run an old XT 3 x 8 setup on it that I have - need to figure out what to do for brakes/shifters still.

An old steel road bike frame isn't quite the same as a CX specific frame.

Geometry will be different, so just check that out first.

I guess if its just for riding with the kids then it should be ok, but I would be nervous to build a full CX bike using just any old steel road bike frame.

I just bought a Cotic roadrat frame for this - current plan is to have it painted and the caliper mounts stripped off - going to be disk only.

I might run an old XT 3 x 8 setup on it that I have - need to figure out what to do for brakes/shifters still.

STI's will work - just to find 3x8's...

So I understand a steel frame gives the tyres enough space.

or is there a certain type of frame I should look for?

A steel frame does not automatically equal tyre clearance - there are plenty of steel road bikes with VERY minimal clearance for even 700x23 tyres. My Columbus steel Gemini for example.

Steel is opted for in CX bikes for its comfort.

CX bikes/ frames will also have different geometry to road frames, to accomodate the off road use.

If I was you, I would go with a CX specific frame or monstercross a MTB frame...

Edited by Ryanpmb

A steel frame does not automatically equal tyre clearance - there are plenty of steel road bikes with VERY minimal clearance for even 700x23 tyres. My Coumbus steel Gemini for example.

Steel is opted for in CX bikes for its comfort.

CX bikes/ frames will also have different geometry to road frames, to accomodate the off road use.

If I was you, I would go with a CX specific frame or monstercross a MTB frame...

how would one monstercross a MTB frame?

Hi Guys and Gals.

I went cycling with my kids and I can't cycle with them next to the road and I don't want them cycling in the road.

So I had the idea of building a cyclo-cross bike.

Now I understand I need to buy a steel frame and road components older brake calipers en then the nice bigger wheels...

Have any of you ever done this before ?

I've just got rid of my road bike and built a CX bike so I can maintain my road riding but explore more back roads on the same rides...

I use this bike to take my daughter for rides too...

post-12909-0-34496800-1416997200_thumb.jpg

post-12909-0-81682100-1416997208_thumb.jpg

post-12909-0-13691900-1416997220_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryanpmb