27,5" all mountain/ #enduro rims. what would you get?

Nofearnofun

attachicon.gifwheel1.jpg

attachicon.gifwheel4.jpg

attachicon.gifwheels2.jpg

Got my carbon rims yesterday. Look OK, feel pretty strong and stiff. Off to wheel builder today.

I'm in the process of ordering a set off these. I just want to here someone's opinion who has ridden them coz im a heavy dude and i like the big hits so im scared of dying if one of those things snap under me?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the process of ordering a set off these. I just want to here someone's opinion who has ridden them coz im a heavy dude and i like the big hits so im scared of dying if one of those things snap under me?

If alloy hasn't collapsed under you then carbon won't.

here's a demo http://youtu.be/5dkuaNX2zEs

The ride is pretty hard and uncomfortable in the beginning, just until you get used to the stiffness.............. thats what she said.

Well, before I ordered mine I spent an unhealthy amount of time researching these things. There are numerous riders in the US that have ordered and ridden LB rims throughout the years. The thing to know is that prior to about 2 years ago, they had an older manufacturing process, which resulted in a variation in wall thickness, and specifically cracked spoke holes. The new process (new machinery, more accurate layups, better vacuums etc) have been producing bombproof rims with great user reviews.

Apart from reading many reviews of happy riders months on, what tipped it for me was an article that featured Enve, Reynolds and LB rims, and the guy questioned why folks drop the extra cash on Enve & Reynolds. I'm not saying that LB are better, they're just amazing value for money. 35mm rim that's under 400 grams? And strong?

So I also didn't order the lightest 650b option, and bearing in  mind that the hookless bead is A LOT stronger than a hooked rim, I think we're fine.

I've got almost 2 years on my 23mm inside diameter hook-bead LB rims and they're going along just fine. They've been through rock gardens, downhill courses, and regular visits to the bike park. No worries with durability. They are far stronger than any alloy rim I've run before and have survived multiple flat landings and other abuse.

Plenty guys here running the newer 30mm hookless ones without any issues. You won't be sorry.

post-37618-0-30122300-1426085369_thumb.jpg

post-37618-0-97717200-1426085374_thumb.jpg

post-37618-0-60362000-1426085391_thumb.jpg

Built. Going to ride this tomorrow, but hells this wheel is proper. Gone from 17mm internal to 30. Brass nipples, spoke washers, the whole trip. Picked up a little bit of weight, but this should be a different experience. Tyre didn't really widen, but sort of puffs out a bit - side lugs at a bit of a different angle.

post-37618-0-79135000-1426151385_thumb.jpg

post-37618-0-21915600-1426151394_thumb.jpg

post-37618-0-82274100-1426151406_thumb.jpg

Rode on these this morning. Amazing difference. Riding on dirt road the bike feels more stable somehow, and when you hit the trail its pretty amazing. Seem to use brakes a lot less going into and through corners, and the first thing that strikes you is how quiet the tyres are. Even pushing into corners, where you'd hear gravel crunching or rubber growling, there's none of that - just quiet. I guess you can push it a lot harder. The traction is radical, and the bike is much more clinical, and comes back on line really sharpish after a fast corner or a twisty section.

I wouldn't say they feel harsher, as many people have said, but they're a whole lot more direct, which feels great. Bear in mind that the wheel builder used spokes like pencils, this is a very strong build. And also bear in mind that my old rims were puny 17mm ones, so the difference is pretty radical. Even that crappy Race King grips like crazy now.

attachicon.gifIMG_8920.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8923.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8924.jpg

Rode on these this morning. Amazing difference. Riding on dirt road the bike feels more stable somehow, and when you hit the trail its pretty amazing. Seem to use brakes a lot less going into and through corners, and the first thing that strikes you is how quiet the tyres are. Even pushing into corners, where you'd hear gravel crunching or rubber growling, there's none of that - just quiet. I guess you can push it a lot harder. The traction is radical, and the bike is much more clinical, and comes back on line really sharpish after a fast corner or a twisty section.

I wouldn't say they feel harsher, as many people have said, but they're a whole lot more direct, which feels great. Bear in mind that the wheel builder used spokes like pencils, this is a very strong build. And also bear in mind that my old rims were puny 17mm ones, so the difference is pretty radical. Even that crappy Race King grips like crazy now.

bloody hell. There goes my SARS refund later this year. 

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to my 29er with Crests is a terrifying experience after riding the 35mm carbon  rims.

seriously? How so? Just the additional control that the stiffer hoops bring?

seriously? How so? Just the additional control that the stiffer hoops bring?

Feel like springy noodles. Lots of sliding into ruts, and a kind of "deader" feeling - where you point the bike isn't where it goes exactly. There seems to be a lot more lateral movement from the front wheel - slipping down into puddles and off camber sections - I think I got used to tilting the bike a lot more with the wider carbon wheels.

Feel like springy noodles. Lots of sliding into ruts, and a kind of "deader" feeling - where you point the bike isn't where it goes exactly. There seems to be a lot more lateral movement from the front wheel - slipping down into puddles and off camber sections - I think I got used to tilting the bike a lot more with the wider carbon wheels.

Shot. Definitely made the decision to go that way when I upgrade

attachicon.gifIMG_8920.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8923.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8924.jpg

I was wondering what the Race King was doing on there. Totally out of place on that beautiful bike :ph34r:  :ph34r: :ph34r:  

I was wondering what the Race King was doing on there. Totally out of place on that beautiful bike :ph34r:  :ph34r: :ph34r:  

I'd asked forgiveness earlier in the thread - something I'm trying. Horrible tyre - actually has lumps so you think your wheel is out of true when its not. Got it on special.

It's getting changed tomorrow.

Archived