Rear Suspension Bearing Supplier in CTN?

DemitriN

A question relating to the installation of new pivot bearings...

Should you grease the inside of the pivot and bearing before inserting the new bearing, or would a product like LOCTITE 641 Medium Bearing retainer  be better.

after all you don't what to encourage the bearing to move inside the pivot sleeve.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802627649537

I would advise strongly against "grease" on the surface which the bearing is pressed in.  Grease is used for the lubrication of moving parts. If the bearing seize, I would rather have the pivot bolt rotate inside the inner ring, than the outer ring rotating inside the cavity in the frame.  A pivot bolt can be easily replaced, but damaged bearing cavity in your frame, will be difficult to repair.

However any good anti-seize compound (which is compatible with the materials of the bearing and the frame) will prevent most forms of corrosion between the bearing outer ring and the frame surface, which will make bearing removal slightly faster and easier.

In my opinion the press fit you find on MTB frames, is more than enough to retain the bearing, and you don't need a bearing retaining compound on the outer surface of the outer ring.

In my opinion the press fit you find on MTB frames, is more than enough to retain the bearing, and you don't need a bearing retaining compound on the outer surface of the outer ring.

Brian...agree with most of your post but I prefer to have something (grease or anti-seize) to provide lubrication to assist pressing in and extraction and especially to repel moisture.

The last thing you want inside that tight steel/alu interface is water!

Many carbon frames also have metal inserts where the bearings press in so they are not exempt.

Agree that an anti-sieze compound is best but do your research....copaslip is popular but not a good mix with some metals. Grease better than nothing in a pinch - IMO

Archived