Specialized Diverge - Gravel Grinders

BernardG

So what is the view on the new Specialized Diverge? I really like the idea of it and what they are trying to achieve, what are the thoughts on theHub and owners of them? I cannot seem to find that many reviews, I know it is still very new but definitely a new hype and it looks like the ideal everyday commuting/adventure/touring bike. I looked at the Diverge A1, very well priced at around R15k, although specced with Tiagra it has the frame and some fat tyres to get the adventure on.

What are the thoughts and how are the owners finding them and maybe what other options are there to consider. I am very keen to buy one. See these bikes are called 'Gravel Grinders', Giant, Niner, GT has some options as well but not sure if they are sold in SA?

Those that do not know the bikes. Here is a link to Spez website: http://www.specialized.com/za/en/bikes/road/diverge 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have built myself a Cotic X as a gravel grinder/ CX bike. I've sold my road bike and use this as my road bike which has the benefit of hitting dirt roads when you want - which I often do.

I love riding mine. I mate has the Diverge and rides his more than his dedicated road bike. Great bikes and very sensible for our cycling conditions/ terrain in SA.

See the thread below for more discussion around the topic - plenty guys doing this now...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/145453-building-a-cyclo-cross-bike/

Also browse online for the overseas forums - these bikes are used extensively.

I rode one in December, it's a really fun bike to be on. It's still a road bike and shouldn't be expected to be as forgiving as a hardtail on dirt roads, but for what it is, it's a good in-between.

Riding corrugated surfaces on it for anything longer than a few minutes will kill you though...

I LOVE the idea of a cyclocross bike... I think that a steel frame might be better suited to a CX bike purely from a compliance and comfort point of view. Spez also make the Crux which is also an CX bike.

Soma make a sexy CX frame as well....

I have built myself a Cotic X as a gravel grinder/ CX bike. I've sold my road bike and use this as my road bike which has the benefit of hitting dirt roads when you want - which I often do.

I love riding mine. I mate has the Diverge and rides his more than his dedicated road bike. Great bikes and very sensible for our cycling conditions/ terrain in SA.

See the thread below for more discussion around the topic - plenty guys doing this now...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/145453-building-a-cyclo-cross-bike/

Also browse online for the overseas forums - these bikes are used extensively.

Thanks, will check it out. How much did your Cotic cost you (Ball park) if I may ask and did you build it up through parts?

A CX bike I would imagine has a more racing geometry than the Diverge? Or would a CX bike be a suitable comparison?

Thanks, will check it out. How much did your Cotic cost you (Ball park) if I may ask and did you build it up through parts?

A CX bike I would imagine has a more racing geometry than the Diverge? Or would a CX bike be a suitable comparison?

I built the Cotic (as with all my bikes). I'll PM you re the build.

I've found CX bikes to have a more relaxed/ less racey geo than flat out race road bikes. I liked the Cotic for this factor and the steel frame. Some CX bikes will still have very racey geo's though. As you mentioned earlier, the dedicated gravel grinders tend to be more relaxed. Niner for example have the RLT for gravel grinding and the BSB for pure CX.

The Cotic X unfortunately is no longer made. Been replaced with the Escapade.

Here's my X...

post-12909-0-84860700-1421057546_thumb.jpg

I built the Cotic (as with all my bikes). I'll PM you re the build.

I've found CX bikes to have a more relaxed/ less racey geo than flat out race road bikes. I liked the Cotic for this factor and the steel frame. Some CX bikes will still have very racey geo's though. As you mentioned earlier, the dedicated gravel grinders tend to be more relaxed. Niner for example have the RLT for gravel grinding and the BSB for pure CX.

The Cotic X unfortunately is no longer made. Been replaced with the Escapade.

Here's my X...

attachicon.gifIMG_1598.JPG

Ok cool. Thanks. Would love to hear re the build

Looked at the other forum, will definitely read it through. See it answers some of my questions. 

So what is the view on the new Specialized Diverge? I really like the idea of it and what they are trying to achieve, what are the thoughts on theHub and owners of them? I cannot seem to find that many reviews, I know it is still very new but definitely a new hype and it looks like the ideal everyday commuting/adventure/touring bike. I looked at the Diverge A1, very well priced at around R15k, although specced with Tiagra it has the frame and some fat tyres to get the adventure on.

What are the thoughts and how are the owners finding them and maybe what other options are there to consider. I am very keen to buy one. See these bikes are called 'Gravel Grinders', Giant, Niner, GT has some options as well but not sure if they are sold in SA?

Those that do not know the bikes. Here is a link to Spez website: http://www.specialized.com/za/en/bikes/road/diverge 

Hi look at the giant tcx as well,i really enjoy mine.

wish the big corporates would leave some things alone in cycling and let the small niche players develop them, namely:

29ers

Gravel Grinders

Fat bikes

650b'ers

Singlespeeds

Saw one yesterday

Perfect commuter that can handle some not too rough gravel and the rough sidewalk and the hardship of winter

Saw one yesterday

Perfect commuter that can handle some not too rough gravel and the rough sidewalk and the hardship of winter

Some might argue that it's more than a perfect 'commuter'.

Archived