Overtaking - Skill levels, busy parks and manicured single track

PhdotD

So I had an incident at Northern Farms this weekend. It was ridiculously busy (new year resolutions in full swing) and I should've just left. Nevertheless, it was late in the morning and I expected most to be returning from the ride.

I don't consider a single element of NF to be technical and rate it as easy and 'manicured' and generally go there for two reasons, distance and convenience.

Whilst going through some single track (known as blue gum single track on strava) i caught some VERY slow riders and informed them of my intention to overtake as well as on which side to expect me to be coming passed on. This seemed to cause a lot derision in the group of riders, with one of them complaining they "nearly" fell over and one protesting that "it's single track and passing isn't allowed"

Really? not according to the IMBA

My thoughts are this.

The average mountain biker in this country needs to re-assess their skill levels and be honest with themselves about their skill and ride where applicable (dirt roads). If a rider crashing through the bush to pass you, on manicured, un-technical single track, "nearly"makes you fall over, after a clear and full warning that it was to take place, you shouldn't be riding there.

Thoughts and opinions please on what I'm sure is a hornets nest waiting to be kicked

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just shout "STRAVA" and overtake as close as possible.... remember to use your shoulder to bump them..... HARD..... if they don't co-operate....

PS - above is only allowed if they have earphones in.... rather just tell them to let you know when it is safe (for them) to pass and then go by - otherwise back off and enjoy the cruise.

let's just piss and moan about everything, 

I am missing what your main rant is about? 

a) the manicured trails at NF

b) how easy they are to you?

c) getting lip for passing people on single track?

Your problem is right here: 

Whilst going through some single track (known as blue gum single track on strava) i caught some VERY slow riders and informed them of my intention to overtake as well as on which side to expect me to be coming passed on. 

The average mountain biker in this country needs to re-assess their skill levels and be honest with themselves about their skill and ride where applicable (dirt roads). If a rider crashing through the bush to pass you, on manicured, un-technical single track, "nearly"makes you fall over, after a clear and full warning that it was to take place, you shouldn't be riding there.

Ooohhh, and its not even Friday yet

Maybe you can post your riding schedule and awesome Strava times at the NF entrance, then all the poor unskilled noobs can be sure to keep out of the way when you are around.

Ooohhh, and its not even Friday yet

Maybe you can post your riding schedule and awesome Strava times at the NF entrance, then all the poor unskilled noobs can be sure to keep out of the way when you are around.

Effing classic dude.....hahahahahahaha.

Not this again!!

So I had an incident at Northern Farms this weekend. It was ridiculously busy (new year resolutions in full swing) and I should've just left. Nevertheless, it was late in the morning and I expected most to be returning from the ride.

I don't consider a single element of NF to be technical and rate it as easy and 'manicured' and generally go there for two reasons, distance and convenience.

Whilst going through some single track (known as blue gum single track on strava) i caught some VERY slow riders and informed them of my intention to overtake as well as on which side to expect me to be coming passed on. This seemed to cause a lot derision in the group of riders, with one of them complaining they "nearly" fell over and one protesting that "it's single track and passing isn't allowed"

Really? not according to the IMBA

My thoughts are this.

Thoughts and opinions please on what I'm sure is a hornets nest waiting to be kicked

You are kidding right?????

I wonder how fast you were your first few times on a bike?

The world would be a better place if folks were just a bit more tolerent.

I went riding sunday at bcc. It was also a bit late. I encountered kids on 20inch bikes creeping there way through the trail and you know what....they paid the same amount as me to ride. Which means they are just as entitled to be there.

Perhaps instead of shouting at people, you could have done the right thing and given them some encouragment or tips to improve.

Like i said...tolerance .

Break away from doucheville. Try living in nice guy land.

Perhaps instead of shouting at people, you could have done the right thing and given them some encouragment or tips to improve

you mean like how to improve Strava times, right?  :P

Women and kids you just ride over. Small guys you ask to move. Big okes you sit behind them and make peace with the situation.

Oh my gaaawsh.

Seriously dude you need to relax. If you were there trying to improve your PB on some easy segments, perhaps even move from 1253/4789 to position 1186/4789, then you need to sign off from strava and remember why you enjoy the sport in the first place. Else you may end up being a very bitter a-hole on the trails, and you WILL stop enjoying what you are trying very hard to enjoy.

Okay, rant over, I apologise if I offend anyone.

But, I also went for a ride on Saturday morning at Meerendal, and everyone and his tjommie was on the trails. Overtaking is nigh impossible, so what I did do to curb my frustration, was to ride at the pace of the people ahead of me on the ST sections, and pass when it was safe, WITHOUT moaning at anyone, and then THANKING them once I could pass after they made it safe for both THEM AND ME. At the end of the day, I managed a still fast lap as well as some nice vibes from the other people on the trails. If you are more skilled, then use that skill as a tool to inform and educate, instead of destroy other people's rides and confidence by berating them.

Just saying. Use it, don't use it.

Archived