Carbon 29er rim damage due to exhaust !

Chris Snooke

Hi all

So I just got back yesterday from a lovely holiday and Cape St Francis, and noticed that my front rim was slightly warped and deformed. - I'm guessing the bike dropped slightly during the trip as I've always been careful to avoid this exact incident.

Anyways, what I'd like to know is..

A) Is this damage bad enough to be very concerned riding it like this?

B) is it repairable?

C) Anybody have a spare Vantage 2 rim laying around hahahaa

I've dropped the pressure to about 1bar, and couldn't get the tyre to come off or "burp".

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Chris

post-51556-0-46121300-1421693808_thumb.jpgpost-51556-0-73982900-1421693829_thumb.jpgpost-51556-0-97638000-1421693857_thumb.jpg

Your tyre bead is further out there than the rest of the rim.

Doesn't look too bad.

I don't know what sort of damage has occurred

Looks like superficial damage only to the paint/clear coat/stickers....

The tire might have damage, maybe swop it and see if another seats perfectly all round? 

Or is it just deflated still and deformed from you trying to make it burp..?

Yeah if you look closely on the last picture you can see that the rim is a convex shape and the section that took heat has now gone like concave and the beading sticks out a bit more on that section.

Super bleak haha.

Am taking it to evo on saturday so that they can assess and advise.

Dont ride it. Although it might look superficial i can assure you the integrity of the rim has taken some strain in that area from the constant heat on it. Rather replace it.

Rather claim from insuance or just replace it. When heating carbon you soften the resin, also changing its caracteristics and because no pressure was added (like in the moulding process), the resin will rather seperate from the fibres and cause a weak spot. One direct hit from a rock on that part and it wont be the tyre that burps, rather the rim that will collaps.

Looks like an imminent faceplant if you ride them.... carbon fails rather unexpectedly and usually the end result is not good.

Replace and move on.... you are not the first this has happened to, and I am sure you won't be the last either - really bad luck for you unfortunately.

On that note I have a couple small chips/dings on my rear EC 90 carbon Rim is there any one around cape town that fixes carbon rims?

On that note I have a couple small chips/dings on my rear EC 90 carbon Rim is there any one around cape town that fixes carbon rims?

BogusOne, he has posted above.

But he is busy now with some old fashioned steel.....

Archived