Cycling shoe

abcdefg

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Mountain biking so not keen to got for kleets just yet. I have normal flat pedals and need a decent shoe. Tried by running shoe but it got destroyed with the mud. What do you guys suggest? I read about the five tens but they expensive and seem to need a special import.  

Also dialdbikes.co.za.... Go with the five tens. They won't disappoint. Give them a spray with scotch guard (the leather type)....

510's are apparently the best on the market. But a bit too pricey for me. I ride with Adidas AdiCourt shoes, R790 a pair, brilliant grip (i do have good pedals) and they last me about 18 months

As above 5-10's if you can, they are available locally.

Other than that search the forum for comments on the Hitec Figaro which a few guys use.

But before buying anything make sure you buy some decent flat pedals, do not use the things that are supplied on new bikes. No shoe can help with those.

I like your thinking. Having started off with cleats myself and only making a switch back to flats 10 years later to unlearn some bad habits that cleats taught me...

Learn to ride your bike properly from the start (assisted by flat pedals) will do wonders for your riding.

As someone who rides both flats and cleats, I have found this can quickly become a religious debate.... I love my flats for commuting and fun rides. They make me try all kinds of stupid stuff. I race in cleats. Does that mean I'm faster in cleats? Not at all... It's the one or two shorter technical climbs I might face where that last pull on the cleat might just get me up....

Sorry, that was a little off topic, but the pedal does choose the shoe type.

Bad habits cleats taught you?

Do elaborate.

With cleats you can jump onto a sidewalk by pulling your bike up by your feet and you can ride off a 1m high ledge and land however bad you like and you will still be on your bike afterwards.

If you ride flats you are forced to learn the proper technique because the only alternative is to get off your bike and push it past the obstacle/ledge/sidewalk.

I've always been a capable rider but my riding has improved 3fold since focused on technique. With cleats I always fell back on pulling up with my feet so flats really helped me there. I'll go back to cleats one day when I can really ride a bike.

I would probably not be able to do half the stuff with flat pedals but as the previous post says, its about learning to ride with no cleats.

From epxerience, when I started on cleats I fell every single time I stopped cos I either forgot I was attached to the bike or I couldn't unclip in time.....extremely frustrating

My adive if you go for cleats is to loosen the pedal screws so that they loose enough for you to clip out easily and practice clipping out.

Pulling with your feet is efficient...but I think a cleat v flat will hijack the op's question.

For all you people who ride with flats,let's hear about shoes and pedals

Pulling with your feet is efficient   brute force...but I think a cleat v flat will hijack the op's question.

For all you people who ride with flats,let's hear about shoes and pedals

Fixed that for you...

If 5.10's are too expensive for now, try hockey boots.

But I agree, get the pedals sorted first

Archived