Clearance required for 26 to 27.5 conversion?

River Rat

I am thinking of converting my Canondale 26er to a 650b. There seems to be plenty of clearance on the fork but not so much on the rear triangle. Anyone know what radius I need, including tires of course. 

Also anything else I need to look out for.

Thx

all threads that came before this one will tell you the same thing.

The best way to do it is to physically put the wheel on with the tyre to check

Thanks guys I was hoping to do a first pass by simple calculation before I hunt down a 27.5 wheel and tire to test. I guess I'm going to have to assume a 20mm minimum clearance and if it passes go to the actual wheel & tire test.

If you don't have a 27.5 wheel, take the frame to your LBS and ask them to fit one of the wheels to see... easiest way and no mess up with number crunching of wheel diameters, tyre volumes etc

I normally have to speak to my wife first before upgrading any bike stuff costing more than a bunch of roses. But I reckon it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Just do it..

I'd rather put wider 26" tyres on. Usually when squeezing 27.5" tyres into a 26" frame there is little clearance left and you need to run skinny tyres. Personal preference though.

The actual difference between 26 and 27.5 (which 650b isn't really, it's closer to 27". 650a is closer to 27.5) isn't that big anyways.

http://www.chrisberkley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Bicycle-Wheel-Size-Illustration1.gif

I'd rather put wider 26" tyres on. Usually when squeezing 27.5" tyres into a 26" frame there is little clearance left and you need to run skinny tyres. Personal preference though.

The actual difference between 26 and 27.5 (which 650b isn't really, it's closer to 27". 650a is closer to 27.5) isn't that big anyways.

http://www.chrisberkley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Bicycle-Wheel-Size-Illustration1.gifMmm, this makes it only 13mm extra. Now I see why a physical test is crucial. Thanks