Cyclist down in Kalk Bay/ Clovelly?

porqui

Just heard on the radio that cyclist was knocked down on Kalk Bay/Clovelly Main Road.

Anyone have any news?

(edit)

Strength to the family!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I passed through there at 8am this morning and all was clear. Must have just happened. It's crazy narrow there at the moment with the roadworks through Clovelly. Please be safe if cycling through there and watch out for the potholes/ditches in the road as much as looking out for the traffic.

Isn't the traffic there pretty much at a standstill thanks to the roadworks?

If so how can this happen?

That said you could not pay me enough to ride down that road, too many issues there in the past.

I'm from the area and just saw a post on a community facebook forum that the accident was unfortunately fatal. Can't vouch for how accurate this is, but expect the worst. Seems like the cyclist was knocked over by a truck.

Isn't the traffic there pretty much at a standstill thanks to the roadworks?

If so how can this happen?

That said you could not pay me enough to ride down that road, too many issues there in the past.

The road through Clovelly is still 2 way traffic but there is no shoulder/yellow line. Concrete barriers have been placed next to the road to cordon off the working area. There is a pedestrian walkway marked on the left of the road when leaving Fishhoek but this is normally obstructed by signs/parked cars etc 

I'm from the area and just saw a post on a community facebook forum that the accident was unfortunately fatal. Can't vouch for how accurate this is, but expect the worst. Seems like the cyclist was knocked over by a truck.

RIP fellow cyclist. 

I heard a similar report on CapeTalk :(  

18 months or so back I was close by when a bus ran over a cyclist in Kalk Bay, simply did not want to have to wait a little until it was safe to pass and forced the issue on a bend in the road.

A guy died, a family lost someone they loved because a bus driver would have been mildly inconvenienced for maybe a minute or possibly two.

Think about that.

I've had 5 close calls with trucks between Muizenberg and Fish Howk the last 3 weeks. THese large traucks are not suitable for use on the narrow roads along this stretch. They really should be restricted to use to road only between 11pm and 5am. Thereafter they must be removed. These vehicles cannot share the road with other people yet the fine folk in Fish Howk would rather campaign against cyclists on "their roads" in the morning.

darn selfish, broken society

I've had 5 close calls with trucks between Muizenberg and Fish Howk the last 3 weeks. THese large traucks are not suitable for use on the narrow roads along this stretch. They really should be restricted to use to road only between 11pm and 5am. Thereafter they must be removed. These vehicles cannot share the road with other people yet the fine folk in Fish Howk would rather campaign against cyclists on "their roads" in the morning.

darn selfish, broken society

Quite why the trucks cannot go over Boyes Drive or Ou Kaapse Weg is beyond me, that main road is not built for large vehicles.

Archived