Tapered fork vs straight steerer headset

Sitting slip

Think you can easily do the reverse with the correct headset adaptors but not what you are looking for unless you use a special bottom cup adaptor that sits outboard of the headset and slackens the HA quite severely.

Sorry failed to mention, that I am currently fitting a tapered fork to a straight steerer. I am just waiting on stock confirmation from cwc  for the cane creek bottom cup. If you find one or similar up in Joburg please let me know.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/all-mountain/870382d1392661098-what-tapered-steerer-fork-straight-steerer-fork-need-help-changing-fork-xx_44mm_traditional_profile-648x399.jpg

that should help you understand it better.

if you want to use a newer fork on an older frame. chances are it wont work.

1-1/8 straight steerers are outdated. Headtubes and forks.

The new standard is the 1-1/8 smaller top diametre and 1.5 bottom diametre.

There are newer straight steerers that have the larger 1.5 diamtre both top and bottom. You can use a reducer headset for the top diamtre in this case.

There are however exceptions with zerostack headsets.

They move the bearing cups outside the steerer, allowing the 1.5 bottom diametre to work in a 1-1/8 headtube

I have done it with a the Cane Creek adapter on a Merida twenty nine-lite frame with no problems as per the link I posted.

Sorry failed to mention, that I am currently fitting a tapered fork to a straight steerer. I am just waiting on stock confirmation from cwc for the cane creek bottom cup. If you find one or similar up in Joburg please let me know.

Do they affect the HA?

Do they affect the HA?

Depends on the type of bottom cup Compared to the one you have in there atm.

If you have an external on at the moment then it shouldn't. If you have an internal one then probably. Also depends on your head tube size at the bottom.

• 6 months later...

Archived