Cyclist down on Lady Loch road, Paarl.

Cippo

Just seen on Facebook

The PPA is saddened by the news that yet another cyclist was killed today on the Malmesbury road whilst training for the upcoming Cycle Tour. Thomas Williams who participated in the Awareness Ride and who was selected to ride in the PPA 'Stay Wider of the Rider' Safe Cycling Group was hit from behind by a construction truck . This is the third incident involving a construction truck in the last two weeks. Our sincere condolences to his family ‪#‎staywider

That is beyond sad ! choosing to take part in a great cause and losing your life !

too tragic

RIP Sir and deepest condolences to the family and friends of Thomas Williams

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cyclist's name was Tom Williams. He was a great guy, and a very conservative cyclist. The truck driver who hit him did not even know that he had a cyclist, and when confronted with the news that he had killed someone, broke down.

He was riding in the yellow line, never taking chances with cars etc. Details are unclear of how the accident even happened.

Cyclist's name was Tom Williams. He was a great guy, and a very conservative cyclist. The truck driver who hit him did not even know that he had a cyclist, and when confronted with the news that he had killed someone, broke down.

He was riding in the yellow line, never taking chances with cars etc. Details are unclear of how the accident even happened.

WHAT I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND IS THE FACT THAT HE WAS HIT FROM BEHIND AS IN A PREVIOUS POST. THE TRUCK DRIVER HAD TO DRIVE PAST HIM. THERE CAN BE NO EXCUSE FOR NOT SEING THE CYCLIST. DOESNT MAKE SENSE. :cursing:  :cursing: :cursing:   

Maybe I can shed some light on what happened - I was also cycling on that same road (Malmesbury Rd) on the morning of the accident. On my way back towards Paarl I arrived on the scene of the accident -One of the cops first on the scene is a friend of mine and also an active cyclist. According to him the accident happened round about 7am.meaning that I rode past the site not knowing that another cyclist was down on the side of the road as the deceased and his bike was lying in the veld next to the road. Motorist alarmed the police of an body alongside the road. In the meantime on of the tow-trucker who left the scene turned back and reported to the police that a truck without a headlight was on its way in the direction of the scene. The tow-trucker must have noticed the headlight of a vehicle lying near the deceased.The cop pulled the truck over and confronted the driver who then said he didnt see a cyclist nor did he know of strucking something.

Sorry did not finish my post - the truck involved was on with double metal bins on the back, transporting grapes to the wine cellers. The road where the accident happened was a long straight, slightly uphill, no wind to speak of. The deceased was dressed in a bright yellow top( looked like one of these PPA awareness tops (not 100% sure as I was to upset to view the body for to long) So what is very clear in this accident is 1.The cyclist was struck right from behind 2.Inside the yellow line 3. On a straight piece of road in daylight with no wind blowing 4.Dressed in bright yellow colours 5. Truck driver did not stop at the scene 6. Returned in the direction of the scene after quite some time, running empty in both directions!!!! Im afraid this guy has got a lot of explaining to do.

Sorry did not finish my post - the truck involved was on with double metal bins on the back, transporting grapes to the wine cellers. The road where the accident happened was a long straight, slightly uphill, no wind to speak of. The deceased was dressed in a bright yellow top( looked like one of these PPA awareness tops (not 100% sure as I was to upset to view the body for to long) So what is very clear in this accident is 1.The cyclist was struck right from behind 2.Inside the yellow line 3. On a straight piece of road in daylight with no wind blowing 4.Dressed in bright yellow colours 5. Truck driver did not stop at the scene 6. Returned in the direction of the scene after quite some time, running empty in both directions!!!! Im afraid this guy has got a lot of explaining to do.

That is sickening

Sickening. Nothing gets done about it.

Heard nothing from Prov traffic chief or MEC for Transport.

Now I can understand why the service delivery protesters get gatvol.

NOTHING GETS DONE

Archived