R120.00 6watt LED lights : DIY

wazi

PART ONE

Buying the components

Power

I already have many rechargable AA batteries so to save costs I used them as a start. 4xAA @ 1.5v = 6v total.

LEDs

I found these LEDs at Rabtron.  Decided I wanted 2 per bicycle.  They have a "Forward Voltage 3.6V" which means I needed resistors to manage the current coming from the batteries.  I used this calculator to work out the resistance needed.  The guys at Rabtron confirmed these numbers and suggested I get a 5watt resistor as opposed to the 1.9watt recommended.

NOTE: I needed 1 resistor per LED.  At the time I wasn't sure if I wanted the lights to be together or split the two on each side of the stem.

Components delivered

I chose to use an old water bottle to house the batteries and switches.  Convenient and cost effective.  I also picked up some small terminal connectors (red ones in the packet) as the MK1 version took too long to solder.  I also bought 10m of copper cable for R40 from Builders Warehouse.

20150223_204141.jpg

Circuit diagram

circuit.jpg

Solder the copper wire to the LEDs.

Use about 75cm of cable per LED.  You can cut it down later if needed.  I placed the LEDs on a more than moist tissue to absorb the heat from the soldering.  The back of these highpower LEDs are made to conduct heat away from the LED.  The soldering job didn't turn out well, I blame the iron.  wasn't heating properly.

20150223_212924.jpg

20150223_220443.jpg

have to get back to some real work now...will post more later.

What reflector/lens are you going to use with the LEDs?

That's quite a significant factor in the quality/usability of the light output.

I am pretty sure you made a mistake there. Not with your calculations or setup but with your batteries. Rechargeable AA batteries only come in 1.2V, changing your 4 cells into a 4.8V cell not a 6V as your calculations show. Adjusting for this with your resistor value could possibly allow for brighter LED.

Must say i like the concept. I would like a electric bell that's loud! Maybe when i have time ;)

I am pretty sure you made a mistake there. Not with your calculations or setup but with your batteries. Rechargeable AA batteries only come in 1.2V, changing your 4 cells into a 4.8V cell not a 6V as your calculations show. Adjusting for this with your resistor value could possibly allow for brighter LED.

Must say i like the concept. I would like a electric bell that's loud! Maybe when i have time ;)

You have a point. I wonder what difference it would make.

What reflector/lens are you going to use with the LEDs?

That's quite a significant factor in the quality/usability of the light output.

Im using lenses from Rabtron but I think they could be better.

Build PART TWO

Resistor Pair

I soldered the two resistors together.  One for each LED.  I bound them with heatshrink.

20150223_220622.jpg

Switches

I decided to use some old water bottles to house the batteries and switches.  Even new bottles were a cheaper option than any others that I looked at. 

I cut out the center nipple for the main switch.  Drilled two additional holes, one for the flasher switch and one for the wires.

20150223_221358.jpg20150223_221731.jpg

Wiring the switches

20150223_230031annotate.jpg

circuit.jpg

And that's it!

The actual lights were mounted on a 20mm aluminium flat bar.  I drilled two holes at the bottom and just cable tied it to the handle bars.

Will post some pics of the lights at night later on.

• 2 weeks later...

Just note that using a resistor to "control" the current is only effective in a constant voltage system. In a typical cycle light powered by battery application you can have a voltage drop from 8.4V to 7.4V over the battery runtime. You need to check the light output vs current graph, but your light output will drop as the voltage drops.

This is why a constant current driver works well for a battery powered light.

Here is my DIY light, it runs on a 8,4V battery, with a light output of 600 lumens. I have been using it on all my morning and night rides since mid 2011. It was made with locally sourced components. I have another one (1000 lumens) with stronger LED's which I got from Cutter LED in Melbourne:

post-4006-1427015228,2973.jpg

post-4006-1427015263,6907.jpg

Archived