Slowbee's Argus 2015 Ride Report

Slowbee

The day started off rather well. We survived the traffic! And! Found loads of parking at the waterfront. Maybe that was because we were so early! Lucky the mrs and I could enjoy a coffee before it was time to hit the start pen. I thought I was late as I did not see any 6A numbers, but lucky a marshal pointed me in the right direction. I must say, I dont know if it is because the group I was in had folk who had done 7 or more rides - but everyone was just so much more chilled and relaxed. Everyone was chatting and courteous, no pushing to get closer to the front and certainly no grumpy people. Everyone was full of smiles.

When the hooooopla arrived we were off, expect we got a gun shot and no hooopla. I felt so sad seeing people finish as I was starting. Man that peddle felt like a paddle up hospital hill. The wind hurt. Then coming up that little hill to UCT I heard a ching and a *%$#@! Some lady had snapped her chain and her partner was using some interesting language. I gave them a chain link to get going. I reckon that those guys on scooters along the route should have plenty spare chain links and not just a tube or two and a pump.

So now it was down to the bottom of Wynberg hill . I must say, along here the support was great. And once again, all the cyclists were well behaved and everyone riding very responsibly. I was carrying a few bottles of champagne to have along the way but, when I saw the VWS I decided to keep it all for them - but more on that later. And then the first serious hurdle. I asked the Nashua people where breakfast was and they pointed to the eggs and bacon. I said I have champagne and they said stop. Turn out they had their own supply. So bacon egg butter sami with a glass or two of champers and all was good. My heart rate down and I was off.

I love going down the back of Wynberg hill. Again how weird was it seeing everyone coming the other way while you are on your way out. Jumped onto the back of a few trains to help with the wind. One in particular stands out. This couple was riding at a nice pace and I hooked on. We got to bantering and I told them they are pulling about 50 riders, trues bob it was a huge group. We got joking about being lance, nino and ol contador being in the group. But then an old guy pops up next to me and says watch what you say. I am like what. He said I heard you say enjoy the view and that is my daughter you are talking about. Ummm swallowing my pride - I apologised (cause he was right) and said, I think it is pretty cool he is standing up for her, and I would do the same when my daughter hopefully rides with me. And then we had a whole chat about it and even managed a laugh about it, cause I said I was lucky he did not tell his future son in law, cause he looked a big bloke. Lesson learned. 

But about half way to Muizenberg I saw a bit of a nasty fall. Something happened (I think the guy hit a cateye) and he tumbled over three other cyclists at speed and hit the deck hard. The three guys he hit were okay, one was banged up a bit but able to move and realise the guy on the deck was in trouble.I stopped and we started trying to get the riders to slow down and eventually we started moving them to one side. A cyclist doctor stopped and asked if all was okay and we said no. By now a cop had arrived. The guy on the deck started to convulse and his eyes started rolling. The doctor person listed to his chest and said his right lung did not sound like it was getting air. But by then an ambulance was on the way and I headed off. To the guys who stayed with him, you are real heroes! There concern was all about him and they forgot about themselves. First time a fall rattled my confidence a bit, as it happened so fast.

On the way back though things got seriaaaaas! A guy had a beer. I asked for one and presto he offered. The cool thing was his little daughter (about 6 or 7) asked if she could have a photo of me . I said deal as long as her Mom has a photo of her sitting on my bike. And so we stopped and had a few pics. When I got riding again - I had just finished the drink and was looking for someone to give the bottle to when the couch patio company arrived on the horizon. So viola, had a beer on a couch watching the riders go past. Lucky for all the pain killers to go up the back of wynberg hill.

And then I had to stop - some poor lady could not get her tyre on the rim. So I asked her to hold my drink and I got her sorted. Up past kirstenbosch some Dad was pushing his kid. So i took over for a while so Dad could have a break. I asked the kid how he was doing and he whispered to me. Dont tell my Dad, but my legs are fine! I just want him to push me! I laughed saying good plan. But the poweraid truck at the robots had another refreshment stop. Kudos to the guy who snapped his pedal and kept going (one legged pedals). He and I finished together!

Ahhh but then. The fire fighters. They could not drink in uniform - but we had a pic or two. And I shared all my champers with the partners of the guys there. Was pretty cool chatting and talking. But then I had to get going, the end was near. Lucky I saved some champers cause the red fire engine (cyclists from hout bay rescue services) came past and was able to pass the bottle around.

And then it was the end. Damn traffic, Waiting at robots. Having competitions with others about who can do the longest track stand. Again, everyone gave us space to do the stand and fall over (iI mean off). But it was great. Then it was meet the wife and have lunch and go home and fix a broken tap so I could have a shower.

Oh the stats. Ride time 3h07, avg speed 14, overall position 31497/31966, gender 24114/24406 and do you know how hard it is to get last in your start group I was 536/548. I try so hard every year to be last in my group. Going to have to try harder next year!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cool stuff, also stopped for a few chop and dop along the way. Your time of 3h07 will be defendable down the line...is it your fastest ever argus?

cool stuff, also stopped for a few chop and dop along the way. Your time of 3h07 will be defendable down the line...is it your fastest ever argus?

I hang my head ... yes. But I came close. My fastest time on the big route is 3H29

I also failed to reach my goal of over two hours. Didn't realise how hard it is to actually take it slow. :whistling:

1h55 for me.

Like your report, looks like you had lots of fun out there.

I also failed to reach my goal of over two hours. Didn't realise how hard it is to actually take it slow. :whistling:

1h55 for me.

Like your report, looks like you had lots of fun out there.

it is very hard work ! very ....... :whistling:

Seems I should definitely have stuck to my plan to ride at the back. A change of plans and an attempt to get to my group on time, has meant a bruised elbow, really sore ankle, and what feels like whiplash from impacting the pavement vaguely headfirst. Oh, for a couch and some liquid relaxant! :)

Slowbee, you just showed me how the Argus is actually meant to be ridden :clap: . It is more of a celebration of riding than an actual race. Next year I will definitely be "celebrating" more in amongst the riding. My highlights include the high fives from all the kids on the side of the road, and those VWS guys, man what a moment. But to me the best part was coming back into town there was this solitary fireman in full uniform standing on Hospital Bend telling everyone how legend we are for riding. I stopped, high fived the man and told him that HE is the legend.

Thanks Slowbee for sharing.  Awesome experience!!!

Makes me think to do exactly the same next year.

Hi Slowbee, you certainly did the race/ride in style.

I was fourth last in my group 496/499 and in the gender category 23891/24403.

My actual riding time was 1:57, but I had three pit stops and a few stops to assist stranded cyclists. I would have had more stops, but ran out of beer.

Thanks Slowbee for sharing.  Awesome experience!!!

Makes me think to do exactly the same next year.

you can do it on your second lap ;)

Archived