(UPDATE: See new times & dates at each venue below)

The 2015 Park Planning info sessions 

The general sentiment as seen on other threads is that this planning doc does not offer specifics about the future of mountain biking in the reserve, but what is most important in its content is that mountain biking has been included in the zoning areas where we would ultimately like to have access to in the future. 

Wanting though offers no guarantee of what we will get and as some have pointed out in other places, it is every person's support for this process as well as other processes where more detail is applied, that will make the difference to what we get. 

A quick run down of who represents you in Tokai..

TokaiMTB:
  • is part of the TMMTB forum that is the official comms channel with TMNP.
  • as a constituted group, also has this status of comms channel but on a local level i.e. in Tokai and surrounds. 
  • engages Parks on an operational level too i.e. daily activities through a permit structure. 

We are just one stakeholder in this Park planning process. Each individual who registers is another. We would have just the same amount of influence as each person who registers and provides comment. The positive of registering is that it shows interest which shows Parks that we are listening and interested. This interest is a gauge for where they can and should be applying their focus.

Meurant is also closely involved in this planning process and while the document is still being studied, overall it seems to provide enough of a future for us. 

It's when we get to presenting routes and the EMP at public participation level that every mountain biker needs to be there. This is the time where everyone puts their differences aside and shows support for the groups and the plans presented. 

Mountain bikers outweigh probably every other activity combined, (those with EMP's) but the number should not be seen to be used as force, it shows where the focus of recreational needs are. We are still bound by the terms of access as stated in the EMP for each activity, which is why the rewrite process that is nearing completion through the TMMTB forum is is so important. Where this document involves us, it only serves to state that mountain biking is included in the activities list for users of the park and shows where studies offer the best area based on impact. But the EMP and the routes and facilities proposals is where your support is ultimately needed, Tokai's one is starting now. 

It’s being called the "Project Charter" that includes the vision for new trails and facilities in Tokai. It will be a draft document that initiates the planning process that seeks TMNP's approval for a shared and mutually beneficial network of trails.

As with the Park Planning doc, there will be an advertised info session for this draft presentation that will require maximum support. Comments can even be positive and supportive, “I’m really excited about this project!”, while negative comments can be used to show where the plan can be improved or concerns around specifics highlighted.

On the flip side however, a negative comment can also show what other users are not happy about, which bring us to how mountain biking interacts with other users. Quite simply, making enemies is counter-productive. We hear too often about cyclists swearing at grannies and their dogs, or riding areas out of bounds. This should stop as a matter of urgency.. be the bigger person.

On public participation level, when the bell is rung - it is over. Register, attend, comment and show support for both the reps and Table Mountain National Park.

More info on the 2015 Park Planning process can be found here. The document download links from this page too.

- - - -
Update..

NEW DATES:

Stakeholders are further invited to attend public information sessions at one of the venues listed below and comment on aspects relating to these plans.

Date  and time

Venue

13 April 2015 (18h00 – 20h00) Rocklands Minor Hall, Cnr Spine & Park Roads, Rocklands, Mitchell’s Plain

14 April 2015 (09h00 – 12h00) Fish Hoek Municipal Hall, Central Circle, Fish Hoek

14 April 2015 (14h00 – 17h00) Cape Town Central Library, Drill Hall, Darling Street, Cape Town

15 April 2015 (10h00 – 13h00) Simon’s Town Museum, Court Road, Simons Town

15 April 2015 (16h00 – 19h00) Roman Catholic Church, Pokela Road, Masiphumelele

16 April 2015 (16h00 – 19h00) Newlands Conference Room, Newlands Forest Station, Union Avenue (M3)

17 April 2015 (10h00 – 13h00) Edith Stephens Nature Reserve, Govan Mbeki Road, Philippi

18 April 2015 (09h00 – 12h00) Site B community hall, Khayelitsha Sulani Drive  (opposite Site B SAPS )

Written comments are to be forwarded either electronically or by mail to André Spies by 9 May 2015.

- - - -

(Note: I am posting in my personal capacity as I don't have access to the TokaiMTB account password at this time :blush: )

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link Nick. Some have said there is issue with the form but rest assured that you can register at the door. 

The dates are indeed still needing update. Will post an update as soon as available - on twitter and fb too.

registered...as someone who runs, bikes and paddles in the park I don't want to say I didn't use my voice when the opportunity was there.

I also like braaing at silvermine dam....wonder when that will be allowed again?!!!

registered...as someone who runs, bikes and paddles in the park I don't want to say I didn't use my voice when the opportunity was there.

I also like braaing at silvermine dam....wonder when that will be allowed again?!!!

The mere mention of burning wood may cause a serious meltdown for management there.

Registered.......watching and waiting...........I truly hope many more mountain bikers will make representations and show up at the meetings than the handful that came to the Tokai MTB AGM in February.........or we will look a bit like mice at the cats party. :blush:

I think those of us with activity cards are already registered?

Unless I registered for this previously and don't remember.

Says I'm already on the database

Don't think so.

Register!

Registered.

If you've ever attended an info/public participation session (think since 2012) you could well be on the database already. Safest is to fill in the form at the door. 

If you've ever attended an info/public participation session (think since 2012) you could well be on the database already. Safest is to fill in the form at the door. 

mmh, there are many things I don't remember doing. Either way, turns out I am already registered. I'll set my alarm for spring 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated info: New dates

13 April 2015 (18h00 – 20h00) Rocklands Minor Hall, Cnr Spine & Park Roads, Rocklands, Mitchell’s Plain

14 April 2015 (09h00 – 12h00) Fish Hoek Municipal Hall, Central Circle, Fish Hoek

14 April 2015 (14h00 – 17h00) Cape Town Central Library, Drill Hall, Darling Street, Cape Town

15 April 2015 (10h00 – 13h00) Simon’s Town Museum, Court Road, Simons Town

15 April 2015 (16h00 – 19h00) Roman Catholic Church, Pokela Road, Masiphumelele

16 April 2015 (16h00 – 19h00) Newlands Conference Room, Newlands Forest Station, Union Avenue (M3)

17 April 2015 (10h00 – 13h00) Edith Stephens Nature Reserve, Govan Mbeki Road, Philippi

18 April 2015 (09h00 – 12h00) Site B community hall, Khayelitsha Sulani Drive  (opposite Site B SAPS )

• 2 weeks later...

(UPDATE: See new times & dates at each venue below)

NEW DATES:

Stakeholders are further invited to attend public information sessions at one of the venues listed below and comment on aspects relating to these plans.

Date  and time

Venue

13 April 2015 (18h00 – 20h00) Rocklands Minor Hall, Cnr Spine & Park Roads, Rocklands, Mitchell’s Plain[/size]

14 April 2015 (09h00 – 12h00) Fish Hoek Municipal Hall, Central Circle, Fish Hoek[/size]

14 April 2015 (14h00 – 17h00) Cape Town Central Library, Drill Hall, Darling Street, Cape Town[/size]

15 April 2015 (10h00 – 13h00) Simon’s Town Museum, Court Road, Simons Town[/size]

15 April 2015 (16h00 – 19h00) Roman Catholic Church, Pokela Road, Masiphumelele[/size]

16 April 2015 (16h00 – 19h00) Newlands Conference Room, Newlands Forest Station, Union Avenue (M3)[/size]

17 April 2015 (10h00 – 13h00) Edith Stephens Nature Reserve, Govan Mbeki Road, Philippi[/size]

18 April 2015 (09h00 – 12h00) [/size]Site B community hall, Khayelitsha Sulani Drive  (opposite Site B SAPS )

Written comments are to be forwarded either electronically or by mail to André Spies by 9 May 2015.

NB: These dates are next week. So time to start getting our minds around this.

I am not sure if these are "information sessions" ie, sit down and watch a powerpoint presentation, or "feedback sessions" where we can stand up and say something back. Either way, I will be there and I encourage as many cyclists as possible to attend.

Just looking at the times/dates. Most of these are on weekdays during working hours. The Saturday morning one is in Khayelitsha. Not sure if cyclists, as a group, should target one session and go in numbers, or if we should spread ourselves across many sessions, or even attend multiple sessions? But this one looks like it would be most convenient for cyclists. It is on Thursday afternoon at 4PM next week:

16 April 2015 (16h00 – 19h00)Newlands Conference Room, Newlands Forest Station, Union Avenue

Start planning for our future and be there next week!

I was thinking the same. I could join.. will need to confirm but think my Thursday afternoons are free. 

The session is a presentation -basically a read through with some insight- followed by Q&A after. Interested to hear what questions others are looking to have answered. More people attending mean more perspectives.. 

I'll attend the Thursday Newlands session. Shall I wear a cycling related T-shirt?

Archived