Maximum Heart Rate and Heart Zone calculation basics

Often we see repeated questions about how to determine heart rate zones, maximum heart rate etc....

I'm no expert but I hope this thread can serve as a basic guide for those wanting to better use their heart rate monitors but are unsure how to proceed. The information provided comes from various sources and my personal experience over the years.

Maximum Heart Rate and Heart Zone basics

Important info: The information below is intended as a guide for people new to training with a heart rate monitor. There are many variations and different methods available from many different sources.

The tests discussed below are intended for people who are healthy and fit, they should not be done if you are a beginner, are ill, have been ill or injured recently. It is advisable to have the tests supervised by  a suitably qualified sports trainer /coach.

To accurately calculate heart rate training zones you need to know either your true Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) or your Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LHR).

Formulas such as (220 – age = MHR) are an estimation only and often not accurate, the only way to determine MHR accurately is to do a physically strenuous test in the particular discipline (running, cycling, swimming, etc….). Each sporting discipline will have a different MHR, for example MHR while cycling will be lower than when running. So a MHR test is required for each discipline, don’t use your running MHR for setting up cycling HR training zones.

The MHR test protocol is very strenuous and need not be repeated regularly (if ever) if done correctly the first time. It is possible that some individuals will slow down / stop before reaching their true MHR, as a result it is best to do the test in a controlled environment with someone “supervising” and providing motivation. For cycling test purposes an indoor trainer (IDT) with adjustable resistance is ideal.

A less strenuous option is to do a Lactate threshold* test, typically this would require the use of a specific finger prick type blood analyser device and taking samples every few minutes while following a specific practical protocol. However there is a simple Time Trail type test using a heart rate monitor with recording functions.   

* Lactate threshold is the intensity level when your body cannot clear the lactic acid from your muscles resulting in it accumulating in your blood. Well trained athletes can maintain this intensity for longer (1 – 2 hrs?) compared to not so well trained athletes (a few minutes?). It's the stage where people find it difficult to talk while exercising and their muscles start to "burn".

Max HR Test protocol  

Keep in mind that heart rate does not work like a rev counter and reach its peak in a few seconds, it takes a couple of minutes to catch up. Because of this it is important to gradually build up your HR by increasing the effort and if possible to add resistance (steeper incline) as you progress in the test, and then when you feel you are at max effort hold it there for another minute or as long as possible until you cannot maintain and have to slow down.

Don’t forget to make sure your heart rate monitor is recording!!

10 minutes - warm up, gradually increase speed over the last 5 minutes so your breathing becomes a little hard

5 minutes - maintain pace for the first half gradually increasing pace in the last half  

5 minutes - increasing pace gradually so breathing becomes harder

5 minutes - on a slight climb / increased resistance, gradually increasing pace so breathing is hard and rapid (talking smoothly not possible)

2 minutes – onto a steeper climb / higher resistance and ride as hard as possible while remaining seated and note your speed (don’t let it drop)

1 minute – Max effort sprint (seated) try increase speed or hold it for as long as possible, when you feel like you cannot maintain speed anymore stand and sprint.

10 minutes – Cool down with no resistance

Check your HR monitor recording for the highest heart rate recorded, which should be sometime during the standing sprint or a few seconds thereafter. Take this amount and add 3 beats per minute to the amount and use the total for your MHR number i.e. highest recording on monitor = 187 +3 = Max HR of 190 bpm

Max HR Zone calculation

Zone 1 = 50% – 60% of MHR  (0.50 x 190 = 95, 0.60 x 190 = 114, then Z1 = 95bpm – 114bpm

Zone 2 = 60% – 70% of MHR

Zone 3 = 70% – 80% of MHR

Zone 4 = 80% – 90% of MHR

Zone 5 = 90% – 100% of MHR

Lactate Threshold HR Test (Approximated)

This can be done on the road provided you have a consistent (flat or incline, not both or a decline) route that will allow for 30 minutes of uninterrupted full effort. The IDT is again a better option in that it is a controlled and safer environment.

The idea is to do a 30 minute Individual Time Trial (ITT) at the hardest but consistent pace you can maintain for the entire 30 minutes. It’s important not to start out to fast and slowdown in the last half.

As this test is not overly strenuous (as the MHR test) it can be repeated fairly regularly (4 – 5 weeks).

10 – 15 minutes Warm up at an easy pace.

Once you have warmed up make sure your heart rate monitor is working, start a new session and then immediately began the 30 minute ITT effort.

After 10 minutes press the lap button and continue with the ITT effort.

After 30 minutes stop the heart rate recording.

10 minutes - Cool down

Review the last 20 minutes (Lap 2) of the ITT heart rate recording and see what the average was, this will be your estimated (close as dammit) Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR).

LTHR Zone calculation (For example LTHR = 161 beats per minute)

Zone 1  = Less than 85% of LTHR  (0.85 x 161 bpm = 137 bpm)

Zone 2 = 85% - 90% of LTHR  (0.90 x 161 bpm = 145 bpm, then Z2 = 138 – 145)

Zone 3 = 90% - 95% of LTHR

Zone 4 = 95% - 100% of LTHR

Zone 5 = 100% - 105% of LTHR

Polar Heart Rate zone guide

A basic guide to the benefits of the different zone levels according to Polar

http://www.polar.com/en/support/tips/Polar_Sport_Zones

post-182-0-47846100-1426857371_thumb.png 

post-182-0-08584000-1426857265_thumb.png 

post-182-0-28564900-1426857297_thumb.png

post-182-0-14275600-1426857312_thumb.png 

post-182-0-46376700-1426857323_thumb.png 

post-182-0-35192100-1426857334_thumb.png

Nice guide. Most critical is the first point - Age-based formulas are not accurate! (I'm a prime example...) 

Personal preference is for me to set up my zones according to Karvonen formula, which adds Resting HR to the formula as well. (So it's just another option to add...) 

Archived