Mabilingwe - Can you ride your bike there

Cheese

Hi Guys going to Mabalingwe next week,

Just want to know if one is able to cycle around there seeing they say they have the big 5.

I saw there is some routes on STRAVA, but not sure i want to train next to lions and buffalos.

Anybody ride there when there is no race?

You'll be sure to score a few KOM's if there is a lion or buffalo (not the TREAD one's) on your tail. 

Have no idea whether they would allow it, but if they do, I'd be REALLY observant when following signs if I were you

You can only cycle inside the camp areas and on the main roads I guess. Not in the actual game reserve.

Also there are leopard, elephant, rhino and bush pigs there so wouldn't really recommend it.

Hi i was there 3 months ago, there is a sign when you enter that no cycling is allowed, but just call them to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So thought I would be giving some feedback after the weekend.

On arrival asked if Cycling was allowed and was informed that yes , cycling is allowed and it is also indicated on the rules sheet you are handed.

They advised me not to cycle before 06:00 in the morning or after 17:00 at night though.

They also indicated that the one Elephant bull is a bit angry at the moment and tipped a rangers vehicle two days earlier. When we got to our house , the elephants arrived at the water hole in front of the house within 30 minutes as well and I was standing outside within 2 meters of them which I can tell you is quite an adrenaline rush.

The next mrning went for cycle at 07:30 as this was safer than 06:00 I was thinking, the first 500 was very tentative with elephant dung and fallen trees on the road although I could see it looked a few hours old.

Started relaxing in an more open piece of road, however I was listening for breaking branches, after about another 1 km I heard something and looked to the side, and to my surprise the elephant heard was just to my right with the closest one around 5 m away. At this point adrenaline kicked in again and my speed went from around 15km/h to around 50km/h in very short time, another km further found around 10 giraffes and was a bit nervous after reading the giraffe incident last week. It also became a bit more active when a runner approached them from the left , basically boxing them in between him and me, they started running towards me( the sound of their hoofs quite loud ) but luckily away again .

After this decided that I will just cycle through the reserve to the gate and found a nice route around 5km outside the reserve, between a few game farms where I could also gain some meters ascending for the izuzu challenge. So after the weekend did around 120 km of which only around 25 inside as you feel safer the longer you go.

Saw an White rhino and Calf from around 3 meters away as well , luckily in a car and the adrenaline was enough with her walking straight to the vehicle, so do not think I will cycle on the dirt roads in Mabalingwe.

Of course the NO cycling boards are up if you want to venture on the dirt roads.

Archived