Are my rims straight tubeless compatible?

reinsch1208

Those Maxxis Sphinx seem to be crappy wire bead OEM tyres. I don't think you can even buy them aftermarket. 

Just save up and get some proper UST or tubeless ready tyres. 

ja, gorrila tape, some tubeless valves and new tyres. and stan's sealant of course.

@Dilon

This was just a comment question I asked when you mentioned that you have done tubeless conversions with wirebead tyres.

I have read that it is always better to get the real deal or 2nd place the tubeless ready tyres as most of the oem tyres fitted on a new bike can not handle a tubeless conversion.

I have battled with the Conti protection tyres just to seal the sidewall. After much sealant it finally decided to seal.

Okay awesome. Will look into getting myself some decent tires then. Any ideas as to the price of a set will cost me and any suggestions as to the brand?

Just for interest sake some good suggestion on rims will be appreciated as well.

Proper tubeless tyres range from R600 and up I think. I'm running Schwalbe Racing Ralph back and Rocket Ron front, a popular choice. Also Maxxis, Continental and Specialized are all popular choices.

Suggestion on rims, ZTR Crest if you're lightweight, Arch EX if heavier than say 80kg, American Classic Wide Lightning rims are also an awesome option.

@Dilon

This was just a comment question I asked when you mentioned that you have done tubeless conversions with wirebead tyres.

I have read that it is always better to get the real deal or 2nd place the tubeless ready tyres as most of the oem tyres fitted on a new bike can not handle a tubeless conversion.

I have battled with the Conti protection tyres just to seal the sidewall. After much sealant it finally decided to seal.

I have used conti mountain king wire bead, schwalbe rocket ron wire bead and a coul=le of other brands,  (that pile of cheap R50 a tire cycle lab has some times), all covert.  Using a ghetto conversion makes it a lot easier.  

I have also done conversions on the Alex rims as well as the cheap avalanche rims.

I do use 200ml sealant a wheel on the cheaper tires as well. 

Quality rims and proper UST tires make life very easy and a lot more bulletproof than the cheaper tires.

1. You may not need new tyres.

2. There are as many opinions as to which tyre/rim/tubeless kit to use as there are hubbers.

3. Learn to do it yourself. No bike shop will help you out on the trail or at 9 o'clock the night before a race. Youtube is the starting point.

4. PM me if you feel you need some more help. It's easier for me to help you on the phone.

5. With a little bit of efffing and beeing it can be done easily enough at home.

I didn't use the Sphinx tyres on my wifes bike, even though they never travelled more than the push from the store to our car.

I waited for a special on tubeless tyres (paid R380 each for Maxxis Ikon) and had the tubeless conversion done, which in itself is a bit expensive at a bike store, about R70 for rim tape each wheel, R70 for sealant per wheel and R150 for tubeless valves.

1. You may not need new tyres.

2. There are as many opinions as to which tyre/rim/tubeless kit to use as there are hubbers.

3. Learn to do it yourself. No bike shop will help you out on the trail or at 9 o'clock the night before a race. Youtube is the starting point.

4. PM me if you feel you need some more help. It's easier for me to help you on the phone.

5. With a little bit of efffing and beeing it can be done easily enough at home.

thanks plentpotential

I have used conti mountain king wire bead, schwalbe rocket ron wire bead and a coul=le of other brands,  (that pile of cheap R50 a tire cycle lab has some times), all covert.  Using a ghetto conversion makes it a lot easier.  

I have also done conversions on the Alex rims as well as the cheap avalanche rims.

I do use 200ml sealant a wheel on the cheaper tires as well. 

Quality rims and proper UST tires make life very easy and a lot more bulletproof than the cheaper tires.

Thanks dillon. appreciate the advice. I will have a look on youtube as per your previous suggestion

The rims you can tape up with Gorilla tape. Are the tyres foldable or do they have a wire bead? If they have a wire bead you will need new tyres.

I'm happily tubeless on wire beads too

The rims you can tape up with Gorilla tape. Are the tyres foldable or do they have a wire bead? If they have a wire bead you will need new tyres.

To be honest with you, I haven't really checked if the tires are fold-able. Will take them off later today and have a look

Archived