'Cheap' tubeless conversion - succesfull!!

NotSoBigBen

Hey so I did the 'infamous' 20" BMX tube (20ZAR's) tubeless conversion on a wheel tonight! It was in fact pretty easy, photos tomorrow.

I tried the OKO stuff but it's a bit thick for the first time so I added some Joe's.

I can see though that unlike with a Joe's or Stan's strip the tube I got does not have a removable core so it will be a bit more 'complicated' to add some additional sealant as time goes. I used to just let the air out, remove the core, use the Joe's little bottle to refill, core back in and inflate with floor pump.

I used a bomb for the initial inflation ......

I did it cause my 'oldish' (I don't know how long!) Joe's rim strip 'failed' at the valve and it's on my training wheels. May have been easier cause the tyre (non-tubeless) was already 'joe sealed' as it was used and the correct 'shape'?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Ben

At some time in the future, you going to have to explain to us mortal folk just what exactly you have just said, cause it may as well have been chinese !!Confused

cool big bill, keen to see the pics! very interesting that it worked so easy!

--

geez slowbee, you really don't mind to inform us about your ignorance when it comes to cycling, hey?

okok, I am leaving!

Smile

TheLegend2008-04-03 14:03:42

cool big bill' date=' keen to see the pics! very interesting that it worked so easy!

--

geez slowbee, you really don't mind to inform us about your ignorance when it comes to cycling, hey?

okok, I am leaving!

Smile
[/quote']

well The Legend was put in a place of being off'ed before he realised just what a wally he was - so ignorance is bliss .. till you find out ..

Wink

truthfully tho - I get miffed when those people at the LBS who call themselves "cyclists and service mechanics" dont give you a straighnt asnwer when you ask them !!

Rather come here and get honest answers from people who are not trying to sell you something.

I would just love to have an LBS that cares about me the customer, gives me an honest opinion, and is not worried about the "sale". They would have me for life.

OK so my rant over - cant wait till later to see these pics of Joes strips oko, cores and the thick stuff !!Smile
Slowbee2008-04-03 14:22:03

well The Legend was put in a place of being off'ed before he realised just what a wally he was - so ignorance is bliss .. till you find out ..

Wink

Ermm

Once you have your MTB I will happily do a work shop with you!

Issues addressesd will be:

- Getting that damn thingy at the back to shift

- where is the front and where the back brake

and

- how to fit a 0,75 l bottle of beer into the bottle cage

- and many more...

quite what MTBing is about! Only, if you want to learn proper "shop talk" you need to get someone else! I am doing it my special way...

Wink

Ermm

Once you have your MTB I will happily do a work shop with you!
Issues addressesd will be:
- Getting that damn thingy at the back to shift
- where is the front and where the back brake
and
- how to fit a 0' date='75 l bottle of beer into the bottle cage
- and many more...
[/quote']

can you fit a 6 pack of beer ??

ummmm do you think I will be ready for the epic in 2010?

Ok so lets start with why! After a time (can be quite long!) I find that the Joe's strip's valve starts to 'seperate'. Then normally you have to buy a set of strips (you can't buy just one!) at a cost of about 160ZA Rondt and do a quick 're-tubeless'. No big deal but at 160ZA's bit 'dear' as some would call it! Sorry about the quality of the pics they are cell phone ones but you will get the 'picture'!

20080404_005216_Joes_strip.JPG

So I decided to try out the 20" BMX tube alternative at about 20ZA Rondt and you can buy them 1 at a time !!!

So here's what I did (comments below each pic!):-

20080404_005942_03042008001_sm.JPG

Goodies - old cheap normal rim ZAC19 (still has the Joe's packing tape stuff over the spoke holes but I heard that plain old insulation tape would also work!). Maxxis Crossmark non-tubeless tyre (used up to now on a Joe's conversion so I guess all the holes in the tyre are already sealed). 20" BMX tube with the 'thin' type valve.  Some OKO tubeless sealant (got my reservations here!). Squirt bottle with very sunlight soapy water. 2 bombs and an adapter.

So to the process ...............

20080404_010718_03042008002_sm.JPG

Ok so that's a really bad picture but essentially I stretched the tjoop onto the rim and inflated slightly. Then ensured that it was nicely centered on the rim. luckily there is a 'rib' running all the way around the middle!

20080404_011219_03042008003_sm.JPG

Took a pair of scissor's and cut all the way round on the 'rib' in the centre so that essentially the tube was split and 'hung' over the sides of the rim.

20080404_011551_03042008004_sm.JPG

Mounted the tyre carefully so as not to damage the strip (pretty easy with this pre used foldable Crossmark!). Leaving a small section open to put the sealant in. I tried the OKO stuff but it is frikkin thick so I was not convinced it would seal everywhere, at least in this initial test so I added 60ml of Joe's as well.