TT bike or Not.

FreeSoul

Hi All

I need some advice from all of the tri guru's out there.

My road map is as follows:

1. 70.3 August 2015
  2. 70.3 Jan 2016
  3. IMSA 2016

I am currently training on a decent road bike that I have equipped with aero bars and bought a decent set of deep section carbon wheels. 

The add link is here: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/139528-giant-tcr-advanced-sl-isp/

Given what I am looking to achieve over the next 8 months, would you suggest buying a TT bike? I dont have budget to keep both so would have to forgo the road bike.

I know there are some Olympic distance events that allow drafting which the TT bike would not be allowed, but not to fussed around not competing in those given the training I will be doing.

Suggestions / options / experience related answers appreciated :)

Thanks

if you are not going for the win, a road bike with decent wheels and clip on bars are more than enough, with the added benefit of being able to use the bike for normal road rides.

All depends on your goals?

TT bikes look great but will only benefit your time if you can avg 35-40km/h.

You can't use them at mass start events either.

This is the eternal "how long is a piece of string" debate...

But I do disagree with the other posters

For me - I say definitely get a TT bike if your focus is 70.3s and IM.  And Im not just saying that because the TT bike will save you a few minutes over 90/180km over your current bike.  The biggest reason is the steeper geometry of a TT bike opens up you hip angle and "saves" your legs more, allowing your to run better off the bike.  This is a big factor for long course triathlon.

That said, your current bike is more than adequate if you're not racing at the pointy end, and also want to do lots of raod racing / drafting events too.

Maybe do Durban on your current set up and see how you go?  If you do well, the tri bug bites hard and you decide you really want to improve and nail 70.3 EL and IM, you can decide to upgrade to a TT bike.  If you are happy with the current set up, then no need to change...

Completely agree with you here...

There is a reason its called a tribike. Going for the full IM you will definitely want and need a tribike... Sitting up for 180km is not going to do your legs justice! I have both and I honestly never use my road bike...

A road bike can always be another project in the future.

Also, send me your sizing and what kind of budget you have to work with I have a few options for you.

Hi All

I need some advice from all of the tri guru's out there.

My road map is as follows:

1. 70.3 August 2015
  2. 70.3 Jan 2016
  3. IMSA 2016

I am currently training on a decent road bike that I have equipped with aero bars and bought a decent set of deep section carbon wheels. 

The add link is here: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/139528-giant-tcr-advanced-sl-isp/

Given what I am looking to achieve over the next 8 months, would you suggest buying a TT bike? I dont have budget to keep both so would have to forgo the road bike.

I know there are some Olympic distance events that allow drafting which the TT bike would not be allowed, but not to fussed around not competing in those given the training I will be doing.

Suggestions / options / experience related answers appreciated :)

Thanks

This is the eternal "how long is a piece of string" debate...

But I do disagree with the other posters

For me - I say definitely get a TT bike if your focus is 70.3s and IM.  And Im not just saying that because the TT bike will save you a few minutes over 90/180km over your current bike.  The biggest reason is the steeper geometry of a TT bike opens up you hip angle and "saves" your legs more, allowing your to run better off the bike.  This is a big factor for long course triathlon.

That said, your current bike is more than adequate if you're not racing at the pointy end, and also want to do lots of raod racing / drafting events too.

Maybe do Durban on your current set up and see how you go?  If you do well, the tri bug bites hard and you decide you really want to improve and nail 70.3 EL and IM, you can decide to upgrade to a TT bike.  If you are happy with the current set up, then no need to change...

Depends on your longer term goals as others have pointed out.

I did IM on my normal road bike... no aero bars ....but I did struggle in the run , whether this is a factor of the bike or lack of training I don't know but I believe more a factor of training than the bike.

if your ultimate goal is IM , then go TT bike I reckon. If ultimate goal is to cycle other events and general fitness then keep your road bike and "make do" with it at Iron man... Must say the Iron Man course itself (PE) is not all that TT bike friendly in my humble opinion.

Over an IM distance, unless you a potential age group winner the differences really become negligible .... whether I finished 10 minutes quicker or not is really irrelevant... so long as you finish

would there be a big difference in geometry between a tri bike and a roadbike fitted with aero bars and a fast forward seatpost?

For me, its a question of coming off the bike with a 'fresher' set of legs. Whether a well setup TT bike will give me this vs a road bike is what I am trying to determine?

Also, I not planning on riding road events. Its not my bag.....

For me, its a question of coming off the bike with a 'fresher' set of legs. Whether a well setup TT bike will give me this vs a road bike is what I am trying to determine?

Then I'd go for the TT bike and spend time getting it set up right and getting as comfortable as possible on it to get maximum benefit from it

I think "the cool factor" is a big enough reason to get a TT bike

Answered your own question really

HAHA - Dont think this is a valid reason!

You would think, but if you have a bike that you WANT to ride, makes it a lot easier to get out and ride it on those days that staying in bed just makes more sense... :thumbup:

if you are not going for the win, a road bike with decent wheels and clip on bars are more than enough, with the added benefit of being able to use the bike for normal road rides.

agree

I used a road bike with tri bars at last year's IM. Worked well for me. Don't think my run was too impacted by it too (did the type of time I expected - but I was a last hour finisher). I have bought a tri bike since, which will be tested out at Tri Rock Durban.

One piece of advice though - if you do use the road bike with aero bars make sure you get it properly set up for tri use (increased saddle height and saddle moved forward). There seems to be consensus that friends that didn't have their road bikes set up for use with the tri bars seemed to perform worse than they may have if they'd just used their road bike without the bars.

I used a road bike with tri bars at last year's IM. Worked well for me. Don't think my run was too impacted by it too (did the type of time I expected - but I was a last hour finisher). I have bought a tri bike since, which will be tested out at Tri Rock Durban.

One piece of advice though - if you do use the road bike with aero bars make sure you get it properly set up for tri use (increased saddle height and saddle moved forward). There seems to be consensus that friends that didn't have their road bikes set up for use with the tri bars seemed to perform worse than they may have if they'd just used their road bike without the bars.

As was I :) ...expected a sub 14 though...on the up side I did get to hug an kiss Jodie swallow although I did not know who she was at the time :clap:

Archived