ScottCM

Frosty, maybe you could , if you don't mind, share your couch to 10km program here? That way I might help a fellow aspiring sub60 runner in the future, in fact I'm pretty sure there are some silent followers of this thread currently that would want to follow such a proven program.

Also, once you demolished your event come back and give us a journey (from Day 1 to Race Day) report please. I'm sure many will be able to relate and connect with your story and share your achievement with you.

Will drop the program here later.

As for the progress report... just need to capture yesterday’s run and I’m up to date.

edit: here is the program.

I created "workout" files in Garmin Connect, and sent these to my calendar. When selecting the training section of the device, I select the workout for each day. Currently, I'm trying to do a Tue/Thu/Sun every week, but occasionally end up doing Wed/Fri/Sun or Mon/Wed/Sun.

I.t.o. the Day 1 to Race Day report - 2 weeks to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0-10k plan.pdf

Edited by Frosty

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a race environment that's a 55....I will be interested to see what you end up with when you do a 10km in a race environment. What is the goal race?

The Pharmaton Edenvale 10km.

Problem is I’m running with my fellow cycling club members, so wouldn’t want to run away from them, or be dropped by them. My problem is that when there’s a number pinned to my shirt, the race snake in me comes out. Hard to resist riding “in the bunch”, so I fear my running will be the same.

The goal is (1) to finish, (2) in under an hour, and (3) to be able to cycle home afterwards... maybe a beer inbetween (2) and (3) - one is enough to get me happy #cheapdate

Problem is I’m running with my fellow cycling club members, so wouldn’t want to run away from them, or be dropped by them. My problem is that when there’s a number pinned to my shirt, the race snake in me comes out. Hard to resist riding “in the bunch”, so I fear my running will be the same.

The goal is (1) to finish, (2) in under an hour, and (3) to be able to cycle home afterwards... maybe a beer inbetween (2) and (3) - one is enough to get me happy #cheapdate

You know what pace you can run at... Run your run and push yourself a little more than usual. Tell your mates that and they might try do the same. Rather finish with a walk knowing you pushed yourself than finishing comfortably wondering if you could have broken 55 or 60.

My recommendation... Without interfering with your training schedule.. Try run one of your daily runs at 5:30 per km and see how you feel

When I run with my mates we say at the start have a good race and see you at the finish. We start together, sometimes we manage to run together, often not as might get split because of the crowds else because we run our own races

I'm starting the get new road shoes hunt.

Currently I am using the Saucony Kinvara and the Peregine which is both 4mm drop.

Basically I am limited to what is at sportsmans warehouse so that I can use discovery's shoe booster.

How big will the difference be ... should I take something that now has a 8 or 10 mm drop?

Is it recommendable or should I stick to what I have?

The reason why I am looking at something other than the Kinvara is that I did not last as long as I would have wanted it to last.

Don't get me wrong. I like the shoes but it is starting to notice as I can feel a niggle in my one big toe after a run.

I have done about 700km with them.

What do you guys think? 

Carpet, I run mostly in Saucony - so here's my (somewhat biased) take. Stick to it! Now... "it" being Saucony.

Also started off with Kinvara. Salesman was shocked to hear that I got as much as I got out of them, which was just more than you have - think it was about 750-800. His word were to expect 400-450 from Kinvaras. What I did was to go for the Freedom ISO, which is an awesome shoe for me. And yes, you'll have to pay in on Shoe Booster with the crazy shoe prices nowadays (unless they upped the refund?) but suspect Kinvara would be pretty much the same.

On the 8mm drop story - that is the max I'd say you should go for, being used to 4mm. Also have the Triumph ISO, which I got before going lower drop. And they now feel soooo big and wieldy. I just wear them for the odd training run and then 30k plus. The Freedom is supposed to be good for that as well, I have not tried it, but might after Oceans.

My other shoes are Altra - but not available at SWH. And only other brand I do occasionally try is NB. I do not like the feeling of their heel of late. But even with that, I've got a set of FF Zante that I really like.

And on trail the same - Peregrine (I may look at the 8,still on 5  :ph34r: ) with shoe booster and Altra Superior 2. Their only disappointing thing aspect is the wear on the nobblies - the Altra, that is. The Peregrine's just... awesome!

Currently I am using the Saucony Kinvara and the Peregine which is both 4mm drop.

Basically I am limited to what is at sportsmans warehouse so that I can use discovery's shoe booster.

How big will the difference be ... should I take something that now has a 8 or 10 mm drop?

The reason why I am looking at something other than the Kinvara is that I did not last as long as I would have wanted it to last.

Don't get me wrong. I like the shoes but it is starting to notice as I can feel a niggle in my one big toe after a run.

What do you guys think? 

I agree with Kinvaras - I LOVED mine, but they are not cushioned to last more than 400km-500km. Afterwards I even heard that they have a weight limit  :blush:

You might struggle to get easy front foot running with an 8mm drop. However, I am runnng  with a 8-ish drop on my Brooks Revenna and still try to do as much front foot running as possible (or Triathlete Pony Galloping as my wife calls it).

Sure fits my pocket better only replacing after 1200km! $/km counts for something, especially if you see the thick heavy shoes of old, lasting 1500km plus.

What do you guys think?

Listen to your body and mind.... don’t try and squeeze out as many km as possible. Rather change shoes a bit early than to late.

Sorry have no experience with any of those shoes.

You guys are lucky with medical aids subsidising your shoes.... Swiss medical aids are still in the dark ages in that respect.

I might see you there, I'm doing the 21km. 

Looks like we have a bit of a cold front moving in for the weekend and next week.... going to make outdoor traing a bit uncomfortable....

post-182-0-05473100-1519366797_thumb.png

Edited by SwissVan

I agree with Kinvaras -

Brooks Revenna

Just curious...   The first is a neutral running shoe and the second a light stability?

Looks like we have a bit of a cold front moving in for the weekend and next week.... going to make outdoor traing a bit uncomfortable....

attachicon.gifZug weather.PNG

So do you prefer to run in the mornings or evenings?  ^_^

So what are the running plans for the weekend?

I am running Deloittes 21km on Sunday. Hoping not to feel nauseous and just enjoy the race. 

Good luck to all running PMB this weekend and the Congo Marathon. Anyone doing the Deloittes or Township Marathon?

So do you prefer to run in the mornings or evenings? ^_^

Definetly evenings, amongst other things it gives the anti ice brigade time to de-ice the paths and being on the wrong side of 50, I need all day to warm up

So what are the running plans for the weekend?

I am running Deloittes 21km on Sunday. Hoping not to feel nauseous and just enjoy the race. 

Good luck to all running PMB this weekend and the Congo Marathon. Anyone doing the Deloittes or Township Marathon?

Enjoy Deloittes

Running Township Half - really need a solid outing before Vaal Marathon next week...

Praying my muscles have very good memory  :ph34r: 

Good luck to all those hitting marathons  :thumbup: