ScottCM

I'm finally back from my OMTOM holiday. I had a crappy run (and PW) - It all started with me getting sick on Wednesday before the race. So I guess I will need to do it next year again. Now to use this base for my next run on the 18/19 May

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What follows is my OMTOM 2018 race report.

Siyaan, I'm so impressed with how you ran that race. That was the textbook way to conquer an ultra, especially for someone that decided to skip the whole fuss of marathons and dive right in :)

Congratulations. And to get to the end of that and not even feel tired shows that you did all your prep right. Well done on your first and, hopefully, not your last anymore.

Rough day out at OMTOM... not surprisingly though. Last 25kms were serious vasbyt as my whole body just wasn’t conditioned for anything like this. Feet, ITB, hammies... the running gods taught me some lessons. Glad to survive though and tick another off, even if a lot slower than last year. Hope everyone had a good day out, it’s such a lekker route

Well done Andrew! It was a tough day for me as well. Note to self: Do not run Om die dam two weeks before Oceans. I just had a bad day. I felt nauseous from 12km into the race. I considered stopping and most of the busses came passed me. I just felt tired and I had nothing in me. To feel like this at 12km already is no joke. One of my best friends in our club whom is helping her daughter with her first Oceans came passed me and said I must just stick with them. I think my focus being shifted to someone else helped me to continue. It was tough to convince her at stages to continue. Both myself and my friend made turns being the bus driver and the motivator.

We were falling behind schedule and we had to run parts up Constantia Nek as we realized we won't make it. It took a lot of determination from the novice to keep going. I completely forgot my own nauseous feeling and my tired legs. Our mission was to get her a medal.

We made it with 4 minutes to spare. It was definitely my most rewarding OMTOM to date. Another PW for me, but it really doesn't matter. We helped her and I have never seen so many tears flowing at the finish.

I still love this race. Thank you to all the supporters. Race organizers need to work on a couple of problems.

PS. I am so stoked for Gerda!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Geez, well done to both of you. To both have rough days out like that and still soldier through shows tons of guts. And well done for bus driving a novice, Hacc! It sounds like a dramatic race, I really need to do it one year.

Siyaan, I'm so impressed with how you ran that race. That was the textbook way to conquer an ultra, especially for someone that decided to skip the whole fuss of marathons and dive right in :)

Congratulations. And to get to the end of that and not even feel tired shows that you did all your prep right. Well done on your first and, hopefully, not your last anymore.

Thanks a million Barry. I really appreciate it and I also thank you for the few gems you shared with me in prepping for this race. I am going to continue my training just in case I confirm my entry for Comrades 2019.

Thanks a million Barry. I really appreciate it and I also thank you for the few gems you shared with me in prepping for this race. I am going to continue my training just in case I confirm my entry for Comrades 2019.

Substitutions for 2018 are still open  :whistling:

Substitutions for 2018 are still open  :whistling:

The race is still in the Fast this year, so I can't attempt it.

Ramadan ends 4 June next year... Let's hope the race is not in may again next year.

2 years in row now when the race has fallen in the Ramadan month

As the race will be the second Sunday on June for the next few years how does that affect your fasting or do they only clash last year and this one?

As the race will be the second Sunday on June for the next few years how does that affect your fasting or do they only clash last year and this one?

I think the policy has changed to accommodate the Muslim community who enjoy running the Comrades. The organisers have moved it outside of the Fast by considering when it would end and I therefore believe that besides the current 2 clashes, it will not happen again in future. Fasting itself will not be affected as we will have to train in the dark(before commencing or after ending our fasts) or be crazy like me and train whilst fasting. Also, the timing for next year seems like it will be the perfect time for tapering.

Ramadan ends 4 June next year... Let's hope the race is not in may again next year.

2 years in row now when the race has fallen in the Ramadan month

I heard that the date for next year is June 9th

I think the policy has changed to accommodate the Muslim community who enjoy running the Comrades. The organisers have moved it outside of the Fast by considering when it would end and I therefore believe that besides the current 2 clashes, it will not happen again in future. Fasting itself will not be affected as we will have to train in the dark(before commencing or after ending our fasts) or be crazy like me and train whilst fasting. Also, the timing for next year seems like it will be the perfect time for tapering.

How does training in the day during the fast affect your recovery? Or do you do "lighter" training sessions?

How does training in the day during the fast affect your recovery? Or do you do "lighter" training sessions?

The runs I did last year were mostly 5km, I think I did 3 x 10km and 1 half marathon. It doesn't have to be lighter but keeping it short and running more often makes it easier. As we know, the fitter you are, the better you will recover. I can certainly say that it's true because by yesterday I was fully recovered from OMTOM. Some may say that I probably didn't run hard enough :-)

I just checked my schedule -  I ran 4 x 5km, 6 x 10km, 1 x 15km, 1 x 17km and HM

Edited by tjommies3

Geez, well done to both of you. To both have rough days out like that and still soldier through shows tons of guts. And well done for bus driving a novice, Hacc! It sounds like a dramatic race, I really need to do it one year.

It is by far my favorite ultra. Not only the vibe but also, of course, the views. I can truly recommend it. The support is also great, lots of bands and music on the road.

It is not only the race but the whole holiday weekend. We are a group that lives together in Blouberg. (Accommodation works out much cheaper when you are a bigger group.) We paid around R280 pp per night and we had an ocean view.

We always stay a couple of days extra to enjoy the Cape and do some (well a lot!) of wine tasting. 

Quick question for all the Comrades runners. What is your total distance year to date? And what are you aiming for?