New to MTB

JuddMan

Hi all,

New to the bike hub, and this is my first post, so hello to all. :clap:

I have a technical question I would like answered. I am in the market for my first MTB and after doing some google searches, reading these forums (which a very helpful btw) and speaking to a couple LBS, I know enough to make an informed decision and know what is what in this sport, or so I thought...

In terms of advice, there seems to be 2 ways in which a newbie with a limited budget is to acquire a bike, both of which contradict each other. They are:

1. buy second hand, as it is better spec in terms of components, as entry level bikes do not offer significant parts for the rider to enjoy; or
  2. buy an entry level bike to get involved in the sport, as you will be upgrading in a year in any case.

Both of these statements have their merits. however I would like some technical advice regarding components. I have been to a LBS where the sales rep tried to do what he does best, and sell me a full XT bike for R15k, after specifically telling him I am new to the sport and my budget is R5k. He (and a few others I have encountered) has told me that anything short of an name brand air shock, hydrolic brakes and XT components, I will not be enjoying the sport.

On the other hand, some one has told me that a coil shock made by the manufacturer (titan, merida etc), mechanical disk brakes and entry level components are all that  I will need in order to get started and will be useful to me whilst I learn the ropes.

So what say you? I would like some solid advice from you guys that hit the trails every weekend. Will I, as a beginner, notice the difference between XT and 'non-XT', air or coil shock and mechanical - hydrolic brakes.

sorry for the long post :P

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bite, its a slow afternoon here at Plentiville

Full XT bike for R 15 K? BUY IT, quickly.

R 5 K budget, Sportsman"s Warehouse is where you need to be.

Coil or air shock? You're a day early, Friday is only tomorrow.

Welcome, all advice is good from whomever it is given. You are correct with the sales guys trying to sell you high end spec - they have to make a living. If you can ride a few different spec'd bikes then that could help with your decision.

As your body is "upgraded" with more and more riding your chosen bike will have to follow

Based on your limited budget, you're looking at an older 26" hardtail off the classifieds if you want to get something semi decent. Nothing wrong with lower spec groupsets like SLX, no need for full XT. Hydraulic brakes are the way to go.

Do things like helmet, pedals, shoes also need to fit in the 5k budget? If so, I think you may have to shop at makro/game.

It's strange how your mindset can change once you've become addicted to the sport and somehow inherently come to terms with the ridiculous cost thereof.

I don't know what you can or cannot afford but I can offer you some advise if the 5k budget you mention is merely what you are WILLING to spend. If you can afford to double that. Do it. I've seen it happen too often. Guys spend a little on their first bike because they think that its just crazy to spend that kind of money on a bicycle. Then the bug bites. Its not long before the bike can't keep up, stuff breaks or they feel they need to upgrade parts on a bike that's probably not worth upgrading. By the time they reach this point they are willing to spend much more despite actually being able to afford it in the beginning. 

Assuming 5k is all you can muster for now I would suggest being patient and saving a little more. Reserve 2k on your kit. (That's being very conservative) What you going to need is a helmet and some padded shorts. A polyester shirt that doesn't soak up sweat is the next thing you gonna need. Shoes and gloves are things you will probably consider sooner rather than later too. Mr price sport has some affordable stuff at the cost of questionable debatable quality. They are however good enough to start off. Maar goedkoop is duurkoop. You probably won't take my word for it now but next year you will know exactly what I was talking about. 

Having said that you could still have the time of your life on a bike of 5k. And with proper maintenance it could still last you for years. Don't let anyone tell you that you need XT or that a 26 won't do. (I have 3 of them) Have a look in the classifieds, find some deals and ask advise about them over here. But don't you dare buy a new bike of 5k. Dit sal net GEMORS wees wat jy kry. 

Try and look for a decent second hand bike in the clasifieds and don't spend your whole budget on the bike. The rest of the gear is also expensive, as the other guys said above. Don't skimp on the quality of your helmet. You only have one head... Mr Price Spor's clothing is not bad, but if you can afford it spend a bit more on shorts, quality on this helps a lot, especially when you are starting out. I bought some cycling shorts a Mr P and I realise now I should have spent a bit more on it, but still not used to the saddle. And remember, rome was not built in one day, get a bike, helmet and a pair of decent shorts and start riding. Then you can build up the rest of the kit as you go along.

The MTB bug bites hard when it bites...

Buy the most expensive bike you can. If you buy a cheap one and get into it, you'll soon write that cost off and buy an expensive one, thus buying twice. 15k for full XT? Pleni has got it right. Buy it.

Hey Judd.

i see you are in the east rand.

I might be able to help with some spare gear i have.

I have an ETTO helmet that you can have. That will save you a few hundred bucks (if it fits)

I will scratch around for some more stuff.

I stay in Benoni....if you want to meet for a coffee to talk *** about bikes, let me know. Always keen to help someone get into the sport!!!!!

Hey Judd.

i see you are in the east rand.

I might be able to help with some spare gear i have.

I have an ETTO helmet that you can have. That will save you a few hundred bucks (if it fits)

I will scratch around for some more stuff.

I stay in Benoni....if you want to meet for a coffee to talk *** about bikes, let me know. Always keen to help someone get into the sport!!!!!

Wayne, that is so good of you to offer your time and spare bike parts.

Made me smile knowing there are still really good people in the world.

Good on you for paying it forward.

If I was you I would seriously browse the classifieds here on the bike hub as you will get a better specked second hand bike than if you had to buy a new one.

Parts are replacible so look at the frame that there are no obvious cracks or serious damage.

Xt parts are awsome but so are the slx parts and real good value for money.

The online bike shops always have specials going where you can pick up bargains as you go along.

I would save up a few more randellas to get a rlnice bile that you wont need to spend too much money on in the beginning.

Having said that, uf you buy from the classifieds, ask about when the shocks were last serviced as well as all pivot bearings as that can cost you quite a bit.

Oh, one more thing: say good buy to any disposable income you have and buy your wife/girlfriend lots of flowers before you buy the bike so you have some built up brownie points for when you start getting hooked...haha:-)

I'll bite, its a slow afternoon here at Plentiville

Full XT bike for R 15 K? BUY IT, quickly.

R 5 K budget, Sportsman"s Warehouse is where you need to be.

Coil or air shock? You're a day early, Friday is only tomorrow.

What he said.

Coil shock plus mechanical discs a bad idea.

I always remember a mate of mine's boss who shelled out a lot of tin for a new Merc that he really wanted. When he asked him why the reply has always stuck with me:

"Only a rich man can afford to buy twice"

Go deep, buy what you will be able to grow in to. Next you will be posting that you want to upgrade your starter machine as its inadequate.

Always buy more than your budget in MTBing as you will never regret having the better equipment.

XT at R 15k is  a steal.

And get used to the fact that this is a rich mans sport. If you get even slightly hooked it will drain your wallet of every spare Randela you have.

Thanks to all for the awesome advice! It really is appreciative. I will most definitely head said advice and will be scurrying the classifieds for a XL frame with some decent components.

Special mention to Wayne Potgieter for the offer.. I have PM'd you.  :thumbup:

Dude, if you taking up Mtb'ing you better have enough money for maintenance, if you don't have at least R4k-R10k play money pm rather take up running. 

It's strange how your mindset can change once you've become addicted to the sport and somehow inherently come to terms with the ridiculous cost thereof.

I don't know what you can or cannot afford but I can offer you some advise if the 5k budget you mention is merely what you are WILLING to spend. If you can afford to double that. Do it. I've seen it happen too often. Guys spend a little on their first bike because they think that its just crazy to spend that kind of money on a bicycle. Then the bug bites. Its not long before the bike can't keep up, stuff breaks or they feel they need to upgrade parts on a bike that's probably not worth upgrading. By the time they reach this point they are willing to spend much more despite actually being able to afford it in the beginning. 

Assuming 5k is all you can muster for now I would suggest being patient and saving a little more. Reserve 2k on your kit. (That's being very conservative) What you going to need is a helmet and some padded shorts. A polyester shirt that doesn't soak up sweat is the next thing you gonna need. Shoes and gloves are things you will probably consider sooner rather than later too. Mr price sport has some affordable stuff at the cost of questionable debatable quality. They are however good enough to start off. Maar goedkoop is duurkoop. You probably won't take my word for it now but next year you will know exactly what I was talking about. 

Having said that you could still have the time of your life on a bike of 5k. And with proper maintenance it could still last you for years. Don't let anyone tell you that you need XT or that a 26 won't do. (I have 3 of them) Have a look in the classifieds, find some deals and ask advise about them over here. But don't you dare buy a new bike of 5k. Dit sal net GEMORS wees wat jy kry. 

just my 2c on kit. Don't buy expensive shirts. The expensive ones stink(as in smelly) just as much as the cheap Mr Price ones after one ride. Rather spend on decent shorts.

Dude, if you taking up Mtb'ing you better have enough money for maintenance, if you don't have at least R4k-R10k play money pm rather take up running. 

Spaz rider?

just my 2c on kit. Don't buy expensive shirts. The expensive ones stink(as in smelly) just as much as the cheap Mr Price ones after one ride. Rather spend on decent shorts.

Yea I should have mentioned. Tops aren't major. I love riding in some of my running tops. Even when I need to replace them I look at running apparel too. But mostly because some of the gear today is so loud and bright and I don't wanna look like Enduro Barbie. But don't skimp on a good shorts. You'll regret it. Having said that, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good or rather, good for you. Its a personal thing. 

Archived