First MTB - New or second hand?

bikerdoodle

Hi,

I'm looking for my first mountain bike. I've done a couple of short trail rides on rented / borrowed bikes, so I know I enjoy it and have some ideas on what extras I need first (e.g. padded pants - check, gloves, helmet of course).

I'm 1.9m (90kg) so looking at a hardtail 29er, XL frame. Not sure what my inseam is, but the bike shop measured and said 21" frame. As far as bike specs / components go:

• Air shock (Rockshox over Suntour?)
  • Good wheels (what does that mean?)
  • Good drivetrain (Shimano Deore, or better?)
  • Hydraulic disk brakes
  • Tubeless?

R10k is my absolute limit for the bike, rather than target. I think I'd feel happy spending R5-6k on the bike, but it looks like I will have to adjust that up to get some decent components.

Looking at some examples of new bikes:

• 2016 Merida Big Nine 300, around R9200
  • Silverback Sola 4, also around R9000
  • 2016 Momsen AL229, Suntour Air shock, Shimano Altus (I think), around R8300
  • 2016? Momsen AL219, no air shock, around R7200

Second hand is a bit tougher, especially trying to find an XL frame. I don't know if it's good etiquette to discuss classifieds, but does this seem like a good deal?

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/160697-scott-aspect-10-29er-xl/

Most of the other ads I've seen (apart from the bike size being wrong, or not listed) seem too close (within R2000) to a new bike. At least a new bike gives a warranty, and some help from the LBS in setting it up. With secondhand you don't know how hard it's been ridden, whether you are getting a good deal, and what you might need to replace shortly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

[Edit: added hardtail, hydraulic brakes]

For R10k you'll be better off getting a second hand bike than a new one - better bang for your buck.

The Aspect is not a bad starting point.  I started on an Aspect and it served me well, but it obviously has it's limitations.  You really do feel the upgrade when you choose to upgrade.  In saying that, it's still a great and capable bike. 

2nd hand will give you much better bang for your buck, without a doubt. definitely an XL, and in your price range, probably looking at a decent hard tail.

Some good options:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/160697-scott-aspect-10-29er-xl/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/158921-specialized-crave-comp-2014/

and probably the best deal of the lot:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/158115-carbon-29er-mtb/

I'd grab that last one, but you could expect to put in a bit for a service (if cassette and chain is worn after 2000km riding, would need replacement. Fork service around the R700 mark). Super ride - great wheels, nice air fork, XT groupset. Can't go wrong.

There some great second hand deals on bikes here on the hub but of course finding your size seems to.be an issue.

If yoy fo second then you will probably need to service things like shocks/forks and pivots which can add up but if they good shocks/forks then it will be worth the service.

Important to ensure frame in good nick as components can be changed but you wouldnt want to be changing out the gate

Shimano slx and xt are great and cant go wrong.

Buying new does give you warranty and set up although there are great companies out there that do great setups like Cyclefit but that will cost you but well worth it.

Take your time, do lots of comaprisons and view possible second hand bikes.

An air shock, preferably Rockshox, something like a Reba.

As for wheels, you'll won't get good wheels in that price range, maybe strong wheels, but not light. Can always upgrade that later.

Components, SLX will be awesome, not sure of the SRAM but think it's X7?

First bike? I'd go second hand and something that will get your money back if you decide you hate it or love it and want to upgrade. No Macro or dodgy china brands people will need to want it if you sell and you'll need a good priced to go towards bike no2. 

There are a lot of second hand rides out there at a steal and if you shop right you can get a bike that looks all but new at a fraction of the cost. 

You're in SA, everyone's a tall bugger so getting an XL won't be too hard if you have a bit of time and it's not a 'buy, buy, buy' type deal. 

As with all these things it's a matter of what's there but I'd look for SLX groupo and try to get an air fork. You're after a hard tail so prices and what you get are heaps better than dual sus'. I'm sure if you have a few ad's people will be more than willing to give advice... 

Just remember when starting out put decent coin aside for shoes, helmet, baggies / jersey, sunnies, gloves, bombs, pump, service and camel bak if you roll that way. That adds up very quickly! 

I'm still looking at second hand bikes... patience is key, I guess!

But for interest sake, I've been to several (6?) bike shops now and can conclude that buying new (promotions aside):

• (Giant) R15k will get you a Rockshox, and Shimano XT/SLX components. Sweet (but a bit pricey for now)
  • (Giant, Merida) R10k will get you an airshock (probably Suntour) and Shimano Deoro/Alivio components
  • (Momsen) Less than R10k you start to either lose the airshock or drop down to Shimano Altus/Acera, or both

So ideally, you find the R15k bike, second hand, for around R8k.

try Squeeze Hot Spot (in your area) for a deal on the Sola 4 - 2015 model as its better spec than 2016 model.....

try Squeeze Hot Spot (in your area) for a deal on the Sola 4 - 2015 model as its better spec than 2016 model.....

Thanks. Of all the bike shops, I was most impressed with Hot Spot for range/variety and price.

They have the 2016 Merida Big Nine 300 on special for R9200 (marked down by R1500). I think the Sola 4 (2015) was about the same price (maybe R9300). The salesman said he would have recommended the Sola 4, had the Merida not been on special. So new, those are two compelling options.

Pity they're all in the Western Cape...

At least I am learning a bit about groupsets - this link has helped:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/buyers-guide-to-mountain-bike-groupsets-42578/

What should I be looking for in shocks and wheels?

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/bikes-and-gear/components/groupsets/groupset-mountain/1412038688151-ijs97xmml2i5-960-540.jpg

That should help understand the hierarchy

Here you go:

http://www.solomonsonline.co.za/CYCLING-EQUIPMENT/BIKES/MOUNTAIN-BIKES/AXIS/Axis-A20-29er-2013?cPath=500&

Last time I asked them they had a 21"

You wont find anywhere close to that quality components new and maybe you would be able to match it second hand.

Pleasure

That is a SERIOUSLY well spec'd bike for the price. Must be online only or something - I was in Solomons Lynnwood yesterday, and they only had some over-priced Momsens around the R10k mark.

Edit: All gone, in any size.

Archived