Miway insurance claim goes one way

streetfighter

After my accident on raceday 24-10-15 at the CWC Derby Dash I've reported may first ever claim via e-mail to Miway. They've responded, and advise me to take my racebike to CWCycles to do the assessment, as they are the only assessor in Cape Town for Miway.

Rachel Lewis (rep) and Martinus (Manager) was unhappy with Chris Willemse's professional decision to have the frame replaced. With a lengthy discussion, the manager explain to me that fixing carbon frames is common practice and Miway need to manage their funds?

Hands tied Miway shipped my frame free of charge to Johannesburg to have another assessment done with who they've a better understanding

November 06, 14 days later the bad news arrived that my frame will be repaired and it will take another 14 to 18 days excluding shipping and assembly. I'm blown away by this and lost for words. Paid up coming events like DC and Burger now hanging on a thread and all I can do is maybe purchase another bicycle to compensate?

Hope is not a strategy but hope is all I had in my insurance Miway

claim no674753 R280 for R50 000 failed hopelessly

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no standard in frame repair and no evidence to prove repairing is safe. If I were you I would fight it.

Tell them that you are only prepared to accept a repair if the dealer is a registered repairer and has a certificate to prove that he is trained in the art of repairing carbon frames. The repairer must be approved by the manufacturer of the frame.

I am willing to bet none of this is in place. There is no certification for frame repairs and no manufacturers have granted approval. I'm willing to bet the repair does not even have SABS certification.

They are lying to you, it is not common practice to repair. Just another example of Miway trying to dodge their liability to you.

Shew thats harsh, while it may be correct what they saying its still incorrect in my opinion unless they have sufficient evidence to back it up and prove that the rest of the frame has suffered no damage/fractures whatsoever.

A repaired frame is not putting you in the same position you where before the accident. The frame will be heavier and worth less than before. I would insist on having it replaced.

watching this thread with interest, also with miway, also have a expensive carbon bike.

if thats the route they are taking, i will be looking for a new insurer.

keep us posted.,

I would not go near miway for bike insurance. Hope you come right. Fight them though, they wont find any approved repairers and I would push that

I am sorry, but a bicycle is not a car. If there is a crack or break I would expect the frame to be replaced. Even manufacturers replace frames under warranty.

But they will happily take your premium EVERY single month. Why do we have to fight insurance companies to get a fair shake. Fight them all the way.

My brother works in the insurance industry and we have this argument all the time.

But they will happily take your premium EVERY single month. Why do we have to fight insurance companies to get a fair shake. Fight them all the way.

My brother works in the insurance industry and we have this argument all the time.

its no wonder that people falsify claims. 

All insurers operate on the similar basis, try avoid or dodge payout, some get lucky some don't, if there is a back door they will find it, it's your job to legally find a way to use the system as they do just because a full claim is declined or adjusted no need to accept it lying down

watching this thread with interest, also with miway, also have a expensive carbon bike.

if thats the route they are taking, i will be looking for a new insurer.

keep us posted.,

Same here. Will also look for new insurer.

Tell them if that carbon frame brakes again you will hold them reaponsible for all cost including medical and loss of income.

Ask them if they will 80kmph on a repaired frame if not you must you.

After my accident on raceday 24-10-15 at the CWC Derby Dash I've reported may first ever claim via e-mail to Miway. They've responded, and advise me to take my racebike to CWCycles to do the assessment, as they are the only assessor in Cape Town for Miway.

Rachel Lewis (rep) and Martinus (Manager) was unhappy with Chris Willemse's professional decision to have the frame replaced. With a lengthy discussion, the manager explain to me that fixing carbon frames is common practice and Miway need to manage their funds?

Hands tied Miway shipped my frame free of charge to Johannesburg to have another assessment done with who they've a better understanding

November 06, 14 days later the bad news arrived that my frame will be repaired and it will take another 14 to 18 days excluding shipping and assembly. I'm blown away by this and lost for words. Paid up coming events like DC and Burger now hanging on a thread and all I can do is maybe purchase another bicycle to compensate?

Hope is not a strategy but hope is all I had in my insurance Miway

claim no674753 R280 for R50 000 failed hopelessly

An this other assessment that was done...is the repairer going to give you any guarantee on repairs!! I would love to know...

Archived