[Event] Absa Cape Epic

Absa Cape Epic

Event Name: Absa Cape Epic
When: 13 March 2016 - 21 March 2016
Where: Cape Town - Tulbagh - Wellington - Stellenbosch, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The 2016 Absa Cape Epic mountain bike stage race takes place from 13 – 20 March and will take 1200 riders through 647km of the best mountain biking the Western Cape has to offer, from Table Mountain to Tulbagh, Wellington, Stellenbosch and Durbanville.

Although the 647km is shorter than previous years it includes more climbing per each of those kilometres than ever before. In 2016 riders will gain 14950m of vertical gain during the prologue and seven stages.

The world’s premier mountain bike stage race returns to the iconic slopes of Table Mountain on March 13 for the 21km Prologue, which again starts and finishes at the University of Cape Town. They will then transfer to Tulbagh and lots of exhilarating new singletrack on Stages 1 and 2. Stage 3 runs south from Tulbagh to Wellington and the next day’s Stage 4 will be spent on the legendary trails of Welvanpas. Stage 5 includes five rugged climbs between Wellington and the new race village at Boschendal Wine Estate in Stellenbosch. Stage 6 will introduce riders to the mountain biking delights of Stellenbosch before Stage 7 takes those still left in the race to the Grand Finale at Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanville … and the well-deserved status of Absa Cape Epic finisher.

Venue:

13 March – UCT, Table Mountain National Park

14 March – Saronsberg, Tulbagh

15 March – Saronsberg, Tulbagh

16 March – Saronsberg, Tulbagh to CPUT, Wellington

17 March – CPUT, Wellington

18 March – CPUT, Wellington to Boschendal, Stellenbosch

19 March – Boschendal, Stellenbosch

20 March – Boschendal, Stellenbosch to Meerendal, Durbanville

Spectator entry: Free. Besides the race village there are also multiple Spectator Points per stage to watch the action unfold, visit the website for more information.

The 2016 route profile can be seen here: http://www.cape-epic.com/riders/the-2016-race/the-2016-route

Watch the 2016 Absa Cape Epic route video here:

Go to Event Page

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cape Epic ‏@CapeEpic  13m13 minutes ago
#SasolEpicWomen all together minus @TheresaRalph

Mechanical, that's a shame  :thumbdown:

Cape Epic ‏@CapeEpic  8m8 minutes ago
RACE 8:39 #SasolEpicWomen @AnnikaLangvad @ArianeKleinhans @Team_Spur have opened 1 min gap on @Team_Ascendis @robyndegroot @jenniestenerhag

keep uhm coming nsbb, really miss jcza for these constant updates now... hope he's going alright still

Cape Epic ‏@CapeEpic  37m37 minutes ago
RACE 8:44 @TeamBulls & Dolomiti forge ahead after wp1. 2min back are @USN_Purefit @centurionvaude @TeamTopeakErgon and @TrekBikes x2

Cape Epic ‏@CapeEpic  6m6 minutes ago
RACE 9:28 WP2 @Plattos and @huber_urs lead Dolomiti by 10 seconds

Cape Epic ‏@CapeEpic  3m3 minutes ago
RACE 9:30 WP2 Chase pack in. @Selle_San_Marco first, @TeamTopeakErgon next then @USN_Purefit and @centurionvaude

Cape Epic ‏@CapeEpic  3m3 minutes ago
RACE 9:31 WP2 @ManuelFumic next followed by @TeamTopeakErgon 2 @TeamBulls 2 & @centurionvaude 2

I've heard of at least one withdrawal already today  :huh:

Must've been carrying illness or something

keep uhm coming nsbb, really miss jcza for these constant updates now... hope he's going alright still

Will try my best, no pictures unfortunately and I'm out riding from 11 till about 1:30  :thumbup:

I've heard of at least one withdrawal already today  :huh:

Must've been carrying illness or something

Heard someone snappped a crank by WP 1, not sure if you can duct tape that till the finish

RACE 9:54 @TeamBulls have 30 sec on Dolomiti on technical descent. @USN_Purefit @TrekBikes @TeamTopeakErgon 3min back.@centurionvaude 4 min

Cape Epic ‏@CapeEpic  18s19 seconds ago
RACE 9:54 @TeamBulls have 30 sec on Dolomiti on technical descent. @USN_Purefit @TrekBikes @TeamTopeakErgon 3min back.@centurionvaude 4 min

Heard someone snappped a crank by WP 1, not sure if you can duct tape that till the finish

Team CENTURION VAUDE ‏@centurionvaude  1h1 hour ago

@rudivanhouts of cst superior with serious technical broken crank! Keep up. @CapeEpic #8DaysOfCourage

Team CENTURION VAUDE ‏@centurionvaude 1h1 hour ago

@rudivanhouts of cst superior with serious technical broken crank! Keep up. @CapeEpic #8DaysOfCourage

[emoji15] that's really terrible luck

The Cape Epic always has some hectic mechanicals... I have never seen anyone snap a crank before :eek: