New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

How's this for the good, chaps. On our way to Brisbane for a couple of weeks (Ross W, will look ya up). Discovered my older boy's passport expired in August...24 hours before the flight takes off. Phoned AirNZ first, chicky there said it is possible to get a passport in time and made a note on our check in, phoned Dept of Internal Affairs next and told them of the situation, filed an online application for a passport, collected the passport at midday, ten hours later, on time and good to go.

Absolutely incredible - and all the civil servants bent over backwards with polite assistance and prompt help. Truly spectacular. Don't think you'd get that kind of help in many places around the world; the cost was an extra hundred bucks over the normal passport fee...

I applied for a new SA passport at FNB Sandton last week Friday (7 Dec). Got the message this morning to say it's ready for collection. Not quite 10 hours, bit I was pretty impressed nonetheless. I was in the branch for exactly 12 minutes, and it was my passport and ID card, and my son's passport!

Edited by GrahamS2

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied for a new SA passport at FNB Sandton last week Friday (7 Dec). Got the message this morning to say it's ready for collection. Not quite 10 hours, bit I was pretty impressed nonetheless. I was in the branch for exactly 12 minutes, and it was my passport and ID card, and my son's passport!

Unfortunately this does not apply to citizens not born here............also the ID card

Why do you guys keep your SA passport valid? I let mine lapse years and years ago without a second thought and haven't ever needed it.

NZ family of 4 costs an extra $1000 for visas when you head to SA for a holiday...

Why do you guys keep your SA passport valid? I let mine lapse years and years ago without a second thought and haven't ever needed it.

If you come back to SA and don't use your SA passport you could technically be prosecuted as it's a criminal offence... I'd rather not take that risk of being put in jail myself for the sake of a passport

Really? I've entered the RSA many, many times on various passports (British and Aussie). Never had any problems. Surely they cannot know that you are a za citizen if you have a passport from another country?

Yeah I realise that but being born in a country doesn't necessarily make you a citizen.

In any case this probably applies to me:

People who obtained a second nationality through naturalisation without applying for retention of their SA citizenship status normally lose their SA nationality

Yeah I realise that but being born in a country doesn't necessarily make you a citizen.

In any case this probably applies to me:

People who obtained a second nationality through naturalisation without applying for retention of their SA citizenship status normally lose their SA nationality

Sadly the weekend adventuring through the countryside has come to an end.

Day 0.5

We left work last Thursday at 17:00. Made it to Raglan just before 21:00 (taking the dirt roads), and had camp set up in Ruapuke by 22:00.

Day 1

Excitement was in the air as we were working our way to the 42nd Traverse and then to Whakapapa.

The 42nd Traverse is 47km long  and is supposedly the North Island's best offroad trail. We were told to allow around 4hrs to do the crossing. We ended up getting caught in the rain... but were also there for a fun time, not a long time, so had an absolute blast up and over the traverse, completing it in about 1hr30min  :ph34r:  (don't tell the park ranger :lol: ). Some sections are just so flowy and some really fun climbs. Can be done on a MTB, but they recommend nearly 7hrs. Thank goodness for petrol power

http://www.ridenz.co/media/1866/42-traverse-profile-doc.jpgFor MTBs

post-10758-0-33319900-1545006217_thumb.jpg

Getting the navigation ready at the start of the traverse (Owhango end).

post-10758-0-99933500-1545006271_thumb.jpg

Wet, cold, muddy, but loving life at the end of the traverse (Whakapapa end).

We decided to wimp out and pay $5ea extra to upgrade our tent campsite to a dorm room. Worth every penny, not having to set up camp in the rain.

Day 2

The critical one. This  time we had a deadline. Whakapapa to Wellington by 16:00, or we miss the boat... literally!

The trip took us through some beautiful rural parts of regional NZ.

post-10758-0-70369800-1545006774_thumb.jpg

One of the highlights was a muddy, puddle filled 4WD track up by a windfarm between Ashhurst and Palmerston North. No rain this time, but we still managed to end up soaked and muddy, with huge grins on our faces.

But that was short lived as we realized we needed to get to the ferry pronto, and there was traffic en route.

Fortunately lane splitting/feathering in NZ is legal and we managed to sneak past some cars, saving about 30min and made it on board, safe and sound.

post-10758-0-08187700-1545007337_thumb.jpg

The ponies all tied up on the ferry, ready to cross the cook straight

After making land in Picton it was a quick 30min ride along Queen Charlotte Drive to one of my favourite campsites in NZ... Momorangi Bay!

post-10758-0-94353300-1545007454_thumb.jpg

Our spot. Heaven!

SetWidth1600-QCS-MomorangiBay-06.jpg Not my pic, but a better idea of the campground.

Day 3

Up and at it by 7:00, and through to Blenheim to do our last fuel stop for 190km. It was time to do Molesworth Station (NZ's biggest farm. Over 180 000ha). No cell signal for most of it. No civilization. Just sheep, cattle, hills, and miles and miles of awesome drifty gravel.

post-10758-0-79092500-1545007920_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-91046600-1545007947_thumb.jpg

Once again, we were told to allow a pretty big amount of time (6-7hrs) o cross the station. I felt like Toby Price at the Dakar (but half the speed) and the riding was awesome, so we hit Hamner Springs in about 3hr40min.

We had pretty much done it... it was now just the 130km down to CHristchurch to wash bikes, shower, kill a bit of time, then hop on a flight all the way back to Auckland.

Absolutely epic trip! Pics just don't do it justice (hence why I don't end up taking many). This country really is beautiful and I have a new appreciation for rural NZ. The dirt bike gives one the freedom to explore places that many don't get to see.

Now to start planning the ride back up  :ph34r:

ITA through. Next round of docs.

It's taken a year or two to get to this point but seems quick...

Edit: June 2017 we started - I see a few nervous "how did you..." DM's to Wayne, Patches and Hayley. Thanks for your help... what would we do without the hub!

post-1995-15451552057645.jpeg

Edited by davetapson

• 3 weeks later...

$184 to courier docs to Pta Postnet via DHL Express.

Is there maybe a cheaper option for next time?

Aramex global shopper, a mate has just done it from the UK to SA cost was around R500 and took 3 days.

Edit: Sorry I see they don't have New Zealand as a pick-up option. Maybe give them a call to confirm.

Edited by Spoke101

After am awesome December break, I'm back in the office with just photos and memories of the past few weeks.

After Christmas in Sydney and the NSW Southerm Highlands, it was off to explore some more of the South Island.

Here's what we got up to in this beautiful country...

post-10758-0-22977200-1546809080_thumb.png

We down from Auckland to Christchurch with camping gear in tow and rented  an SUV to explore the northern part of the South Island.

• 4 people
  • 8 days
  • 3 campsites
  • 2 AirBnB's
  • Lots of Board games and real-fruit ice creams.

Here are just a few pics from the trip

post-10758-0-97280700-1546809172_thumb.jpg

Hanmer Springs

post-10758-0-98570200-1546809336_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-24986500-1546809376_thumb.jpg

Wharakiri Beach

post-10758-0-29553300-1546809408_thumb.jpg

Totaranui (one end of the Abel Tasman)

post-10758-0-64148200-1546809455_thumb.jpg

Marlborough Sounds (just out of Havelock)

What did everyone else get up to?

Edited by patches

The BAD (for me) my boet (Dan) having emigrated to NZ quite a while now, miss our rides together [emoji853]ce32defd65c2ee975d4c2fdbc9adb4d4.jpg

....but I've told you bud, pull in anytime and we'll all go for a spin. Bike sorted (Colnago of course)!!

So two thirds of my way through a 3 week road trip around NZ from SA.

The good - pretty much everything. Scenery, cleanliness, safety,even the weather has been great.

The bad - the price of beer.

The ugly - the bogans. Shite there are some serious rednecks cruising the towns in their dropped suspension, drain pipe exhaust zeff mobiles.