How expensive is swimming?

Fisan

Humpday Rant Time! Okay, before I start ranting, I want to make sure that I have a legitimate reason.

Our local 50m "public pool" charges R60 per swimming session. Or R45 if you buy 10 at a time. On top of that the pool is booked out 50% of the time by elite swimming groups, leaving only odd hours available.

And when it is available, the lanes are run width-wise (25m-long, instead of 50m) half of the available time.

Where do you guys swim? And what are the rates?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's insane. Hillcrest in Pretoria charged R10 last time I was there. 

If you want to swim everyday, R45 x 10 = R450 x 2 = R900 per month. I'd say it's worth while to then join your local Virgin Active. That's where I swim. It's not that bad with the discovery discount... (close to R300 per month with the Discovery discount)

Active Virgins on Vitality @ R122 pm.

Pool gets busy this time of year but i don't mind lane sharing.

Coaching usually does not happen during peak times and only takes up one lane.

I swim in silvermine dam when it's open.

I run up from Either car park 2 or from Muizenberg (depending how much time I have), swim my 10 lengths (roughly 3.6km) then run home/back to the car. 

It is free.

But if you are not as inclined to be adventurous, the gym is going to work out cheaper if you swim more than 10 times a month.

There are pros and cons to both.......

First question is where is this pool? It seems odd that the pool is reserved exclusively for swim squads at times?? There should always be one or 2 lanes open for the public? I would take this up if you can find a competent person to speak to ????

Swimming at Virgin is easy and convenient. The pool is heated and there are change rooms ???????? etc

However training in a 50m pool does have its benefits depending what you are training for.

Having said all this.......public pools sell a season ticket, I have just bought one for my son R45 and myself R70 and this lasts until April 2016 so it is much cheaper than Virgin.

R60 is reasonable for a season ticket, in my opinion you need to address this issue with not having access while swim squads are there. I'm telling you that doesn't sound right to me!?!?

Edit: spelling

Some back info:

This is the Coetzenburg Outdoor Pool. It's used by lots of international teams for training - including Waterpolo, Underwater Hokey (completely booked out for the next few days) and normal swimming. This includes training as well as competitions.

Since it is part of a gym you can get a membership at R266 pm (12 months). The thing is, I only swim in the summer season, and when I do, its once a week (266/4 = R66.5....). So the gym membership ends up being more expensive.

I think I should try this dam-swimming thing. I just don't like water when I can't see further than 50 cm!  :wacko:  and leeches!

Some back info:

This is the Coetzenburg Outdoor Pool. It's used by lots of international teams for training - including Waterpolo, Underwater Hokey (completely booked out for the next few days) and normal swimming. This includes training as well as competitions.

Since it is part of a gym you can get a membership at R266 pm (12 months). The thing is, I only swim in the summer season, and when I do, its once a week (266/4 = R66.5....). So the gym membership ends up being more expensive.

I think I should try this dam-swimming thing. I just don't like water when I can't see further than 50 cm!  :wacko:  and leeches!

Then go swim in the ocean........also free, you can see more than 50cm and no leeches AND you have some Great Whites to motivate you to go faster  :whistling:

Some back info:

Have a endless pool fitted at home and rent out training slots.It'll pay for itself and you can swim when you like :thumbup:  :whistling:

http://pools.betteroffted.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Aqua-Spa-Pools.jpg

Dam swimming is awesome. You get used to leeches. We used to row in SEttlers Dam just outside Grahamstown and out feet would be covered in them every time we launched and landed the boats.

You get over it.

Otherwise is there not a pool maybe 2km away that ISN't state of the art and used by all the pro swimming squads/teams/weird hockey folk?

It seems to me as though insisting to use that particular pool is your issue, not the cost of swimming in general.

But that pool would suck for Marko Polo.......

On a serious not, that actually looks pretty awesome. What will they come up with next?

Something that you can run on for hours but stay in one place?!!!!!

My friend trained for the iron man in his pool at home, he tied himself around the waist to old bicycle tubes on one end of the pool. Worked well, but the only problem was that he did not know how far he had swim per session.

Archived