Meezo

I suspect that the leak itself is coming from the lever and the hose too was wet but not as wet as the lever.

Ive replaced the olive on the hose and the hose is dry now. No problems at the caliper.

The lever however has always been dirty, its been very dry and dusty here and I think thats why i didnt notice the lever being wet as it was always just full of dust.

Anyone with suggestions as to how i could fix the leak on the lever? Looks like its coming out at the back of the lever, where the piston move in n out

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more dusty the more obviously noticeable an oil leak is, it makes a nice oily brown patch where none should be.

open up the reservoir on the lever, with the lever 45 deg on the bar, see if there no fluid in.

as Skylark has stated its a sealed system for the fluid to go missing is absurd, is the cable routing internal or external.

External, then remove the caliper and alls its connections from the frame, have the caliper swing loose from the lever on the bars, rebleed using the syring method up, then put the bleed funnel in the lever, and pump the lever till it stiffens up...

to remove any small excess bubbles, move the lever on/in different angles on the bar.

Routing is internal so thatll be a no go. The wetness/leak is coming from the piston I think as the lever is wet where it goes into the reservoir.

Ive removed the complete lever from the system this morning so ill strip down the lever tonight. I have got 2 extra levers i can get parts from

Thanks for this, by the way what brand is the yellow hose connected to the XT brakes? If it is after market, do you think it makes a difference?

I am looking to buy new hoses and see a brand called Goodridge on CRC, but it is expensive.

Thanks for this, by the way what brand is the yellow hose connected to the XT brakes? If it is after market, do you think it makes a difference?

I am looking to buy new hoses and see a brand called Goodridge on CRC, but it is expensive.

Goodridge are braided and the real deal. Your brakes will be like a switch.

they are a great upgrade.

Not needed but great to have.

Goodridge hose, awesome, braided hose upgrading the performance of your brakes no, looks yes, mentally yes. Point is standard normal Goodridge hose will be just as good but significantly cheaper.

Inside the loosely braided steel braiding is wait for it.... A normal hard plastic/polymer hydraulic hose.

Braided rubber brake hoses used on motor vehicles, yes that will make a difference because the braided part of the hose is in fact helping hydraulic efficiency by limiting the expansion of the rubber hose. On mtb the braiding looks good and provides a degree of damage protection and that's it.

Edited by Skylark

All fingers are pointing to the piston in the lever. I stripped and cleaned the lever lastnight. The existing piston goes in freely with no problems.

I tried a different piston and its defnetly a more snug fit. Theres even more resistance when i move the piston in and out of the lever.

Still need to assemble and test tho. Can one replace the rubbers on the piston with just a normal o-ring? The rubber on the older piston also feels harder than that of the replacement one

You mentioned routinely filling and rebleeding your brakes over a period of time with no visible leakage....then you tell us your cables are internally routed.....so you can't eyeball them entirely.

Suggest you remove your BB and see how much brake oil comes out the frame..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You mentioned routinely filling and rebleeding your brakes over a period of time with no visible leakage....then you tell us your cables are internally routed.....so you can't eyeball them entirely.

SHiit, now you've got me thinking

You think perhaps the oil is running down the hose from the mc and then dripping off inside the frame, other than a pretty solid crash I've hardly ever heard of brake hose being pierced(apart perhaps from years of frame rub), it's pretty tough stuff?

You think perhaps the oil is running down the hose from the mc and then dripping off inside the frame, other than a pretty solid crash I've hardly ever heard of brake hose being pierced(apart perhaps from years of frame rub), it's pretty tough stuff?

nope. It's softer than a 6 month old's poop. 

Super easy to cut or poke a hole in... I know from personal experience, unfortunately. 

Dunno. Maybe it got kinked on installation.....

Just stating the obvious. OP kept putting fluid in and never saw any coming out but part of the system is hidden from view and has not been inspected....giving room for a cause other than master cylinder or joint.

If no oil in the frame then obviously the cause is elsewhere. These XT brakes are renowned as one of the most reliable. Then braided hoses were fitted.........and to internally route brake hoses you have to dismantle the factory bled and tested system and remake the joints without factory QC procedures. Lots of opportunities between leaving the factory and now for these brakes to have developed issues.

Just refitted everything and bled the system. All the air bubbles seem to be outa the system but alas still nothing. Absolutely no feeling, niks. The lever gets to the handle bar with only a very little resistance and the pistons in the caliper do move just a little bit. There was a swishy sound close to the caliper but then I bled again and that sound is now gone.

Ill remove the BB this evening to check for any leaks on the hose. New hose and banjo is about R550 though...OUCH!!