Action Camera - Garmin Virb elite

frikkels01

Does anyone have any experience of the Garmin Virb Elite Action camera?  It's currently available at a very good price. It does look a bit bulky however.  Reviews of the product seems good.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got myself one a few weeks ago for around R1900, but have seen it advertised cheaper since. I bought the helmet mount for it from Garmin which I think cost R300. So far no issues and you dont really feel it on the helmet.

Tom

I have this as well.  Fantastic, clear footage on very bumpy/rocky single track.

I prefer the handle bar mount.

Absolutely no issues.

I've got a Garmin Virb and GoPro Hero 3 Black.  To be honest, I prefer my Garmin.  I like the little screen on the Garmin, it is easier to set up and operate and the image stabilization is great.  In terms of image quality, if I had to play you a clip from either 1 of them, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you didn't know.

I've got a Garmin Virb and GoPro Hero 3 Black.  To be honest, I prefer my Garmin.  I like the little screen on the Garmin, it is easier to set up and operate and the image stabilization is great.  In terms of image quality, if I had to play you a clip from either 1 of them, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you didn't know.

The battery life on the VIRB elite is longer than the gopro I believe - never tested it yet - but I did buy one last week - still have to make it work for me - but what I do like is that I can control it off my garmin head unit - or alternately my watch.... :) neither of which I have tried yet...

The battery life on the VIRB elite is longer than the gopro I believe - never tested it yet - but I did buy one last week - still have to make it work for me - but what I do like is that I can control it off my garmin head unit - or alternately my watch.... :) neither of which I have tried yet...

Also got one last week.

Yet to try it, seems like the helmet mount it the way to go.

Can also download the app on your phone and control it from there, works very well

I have both the Virb (not elite) and the Go pro hero 2, a tad outdated but stil a fabulous little hd camera.

I prefer the virb. Battery life is longer, picture is every bit as good as the GPro and most importantly when using for the purpose intended, the start recording button is fool proof.  On the Go pro, (old ones) it was quite fiddly to get it to the setting you wanted before starting to record... On the garmin.. there is one big fat button that you slide forward. You know when you are recording and when not.

A mate took me for a spin in his chopper, between St Francis and Jay bay.. was awesome, recorded the whole thing on the Go pro. Was fantastic until I got home and realised that the camera was on still picture setting so I only had one photo. The worst was I looked like a complete chop holding the camera in just the right position for the entire trip. FAIL.

Wont have that on the Garmin.

Well - just fyi for camera owners - incredible ripoff have samsung 64gb mini sd cards on sale - 399....

Off you go then.... :)

Are you sure they will work? Some cards can't record at high speed although I am not sure of the Virb's performance capabilities.

I also got one a couple of weeks ago but have yet to try it, as it (quite unbelievably) did not come with a workable helmet or a handlebar mount, and i have to find time to source one!

Are you sure they will work? Some cards can't record at high speed although I am not sure of the Virb's performance capabilities.

They are class 10 and they do work in the virb for sure

Sorry for the hijack.....what battery life in hours are you guys referring to? Have a China special (similar to Ghost cameras) that currently can provide 3h continuous recording. Trying to source a replacement battery with more capacity.

My GoPro Hero3 Black lasts for about 45-60 mins. But with the Red-E powerbank and bike mount I can get about 5-6 hours. Currently running a 32MB card.

My GoPro Hero3 Black lasts for about 45-60 mins. But with the Red-E powerbank and bike mount I can get about 5-6 hours. Currently running a 32MB card.

Morning. At what frame rate and size? How the 'eck can you fit 45 mins on a 32Mb card?

Hi geraldm24,

Which do you think is better and more practical? To carry the Red-E powerbank with you or just one or two spare batteries?

Archived