Drilling frame for reverb stealth

Smokey Rotor

I am fully aware of a void warranty, injury,bodily harm even death that may result from drilling ones frame.

I'm dead set on the reverb stealth, so I am going to drill my seat tube to allow for the stealths installation. I am also aware of stress risers etc.

My question is - those of you that have done the above said procedure, what are your experiences regarding the process?

After reading a million replies on other forums stating that catastrophic failure may occure and not finding one post of an actual catastrophic failure with regard to a drilled seat tube, has anyone had a bad experience with regard to above said modifications?

Who's done the modification / procedure and has your bike fallen apart due to holes drilled for the stealths hose routing?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a carbon frame .... so if I get bogus to drill a hole, and re-inforce it will a little carbon, could this be ok?

I have a carbon frame .... so if I get bogus to drill a hole, and re-inforce it will a little carbon, could this be ok?

as long as he gets rid of any burrs and does a good job (which he does) then I don't see why not

I remember seeing in a post (on pinkbike i think) where Someone got confirmation from Ibis, that drilling his Mojo HD at the bottom of the seat tube would be fine, and have seen a few Mojo's that have got this mod with no apparent issues.

I remember seeing in a post (on pinkbike i think) where Someone got confirmation from Ibis, that drilling his Mojo HD at the bottom of the seat tube would be fine, and have seen a few Mojo's that have got this mod with no apparent issues.

someone drilled his Giant Trance as well after having his frame analyzed using finite element analysis. The analysis indicated where along the seat tube, stresses were minimal. No problems. The stress raisers come from notches in the drilled circumference. Ensuring the drilled circumference is smoothed down will minimize the risk of inadvertent stress raisers.

Give the design intent of carbon lay-ups, i wouldn't drill it either, unless someone can show me the target area is a low stress area.

someone drilled his Giant Trance as well after having his frame analyzed using finite element analysis. The analysis indicated where along the seat tube, stresses were minimal. No problems. The stress raisers come from notches in the drilled circumference. Ensuring the drilled circumference is smoothed down will minimize the risk of inadvertent stress raisers.

Give the design intent of carbon lay-ups, i wouldn't drill it either, unless someone can show me the target area is a low stress area.

external routing it will stay then

Yes. When I had my Ibis HD Ibis gave me an unofficial go ahead. Even told where and how to do it. Special drill bit needed and so on. Front of seat tube, higher up from curve into downtube works best.

Have a look at these.

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/drilling-mojo-hd-frame-reverb-stealth-post-771671.html

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/index.php?threads/custom-ibis-mojo-hd-reverb-stealth-dropper-install-pics.61262/

On my SLR I drilled out one of the downtube protector holes and routed the hose through there and on my HDR I used the bolt hole for the direct mount front derailleur. Myles will know getting the hose through was a beach, but worked 100%.

post-1575-0-78375500-1385484627.jpg

HD's I've seen online (one drilled at the front of the seat tube does not want to play nice and be shared)

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/ibis/813423d1372958937-installing-stealth-reverb-seat-dropper-mojo-hd-40015959-fa46-4488-9a0e-c14d5c273739-364-000000134bf8481f_zps0307a4a0.jpg

Using existing hole:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/ibis/886252d1397714111-drilling-mojo-hd-frame-reverb-stealth-post-img_5536-copy.jpg

On my SLR I drilled out one of the downtube protector holes and routed the hose through there and on my HDR I used the bolt hole for the direct mount front derailleur. Myles will know getting the hose through was a beach, but worked 100%.

Haha! Yeah, slightly... Worse, though, was your expression when you saw "oozy 295" or was it "oozy 26"?

Edited by Myles Mayhew