The Munga 2016

Slowbee

Slowbee, I fully agree with the WTB saddle choice. A friend and I went through a number of saddles last year to find the right saddles for the R2R, 361 and the Desert Dash.  I ended up with the WTB Volt and he is using the WTB Rocket.  The WTB Pure is also worth considering.  The cheaper models are soft, but from the Pro level upwards they are firm.  The Volt is also available in different widths.  

I think the WTB together with Brooks are the most used saddles in the Tour Divide.  Salsa bikes also uses WTB saddles for all their bikes.

As far as I know, the WTB distributor is based in Durban or PM and he was happy to send saddles to my mate in Cape Town to try out.

Good luck.

Thanks Eddie. In chatting to Alex he said the importers are International Traders

http://intltrade.co.za/pages/home.php

They have been VERY helpful in this time of need.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing I swear by are Endura FS260 shorts/bibs. They are recently priced, but you will have to order from the UK. Evans bikes.

ja, thats not going to happen. wish I could, but it needs to be local.

Been advised to go with santini or giodorna.

But thanks for the help Eddie.

*side line...you dont know a Fiona Stafford do you ?*

I am going to try the rocket, maybe even the comfort, just depends on the stock. Spoke to the CT rep and he is busy looking around for me.

Why ?

I'm a big fan of their saddles. Have the Silverado on the commuter. I think is is one of the softer saddles, but are a bit wider than the Volt which I have on the racing bikes (road and mtb). I saw you got some nice advice already from the other guys. Hope this is your answer to an important component of your ride.

the spez assometer thing says I am borderline 143 ...... which saddle should I go with ?

the bike shop with the rocket says it might be to narrow and recommends the pure? your advice?

the spez assometer thing says I am borderline 143 ...... which saddle should I go with ?

the bike shop with the rocket says it might be to narrow and recommends the pure? your advice?

Both the Volt and the Rocket come in three different widths, 130, 142 and 150 cm.  The Pure is 14.8.  General advice is to go a bit wider than your sit bone width.  Try the 150 Rocket and the Pure and choose one. I am 133 and use the 142 Volt.

Quick qstn before my next meeting.

I know some of you use scoop saddles.

What are your thoughts?

The bike shop said I should also look at SMP saddles. Anyone have experience ?

Quick qstn before my next meeting.

I know some of you use scoop saddles.

What are your thoughts?

The bike shop said I should also look at SMP saddles. Anyone have experience ?

For the challenge you're undertaking, something as important as saddles. Stick with what you know.

Hi, on a different subject:

What would everyone suggest regarding tools and spares? I believe there are tech support at support stations, so we probably don't need too much ...

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Well, it is now official. My munga is over before it starts.

Turns out it is not the saddle, but it is the saddle. In summary, osteoarthritis of the lower spine. And what looks like intervertebral disc degeneration. I kinda of switched off when I heard osteoarthritis. The doctor is meeting with me tomorrow and we are discussing the details and which surgeon to go to.

I cannot begin to describe the whole mix of emotions right now. But a blend of anger and tears are very high up on the list.

Turns out it is not the saddle, but it is the saddle. In summary, osteoarthritis of the lower spine. The doctor is meeting with me tomorrow and we are discussing which surgeon to go to.

I cannot begin to describe the whole mix of emotions right now. But crying and anger are very high up on the list.

Hey SB, I'm really sorry to hear

Turns out it is not the saddle, but it is the saddle. In summary, osteoarthritis of the lower spine. And what looks like intervertebral disc degeneration. I kinda of switched off when I heard osteoarthritis. The doctor is meeting with me tomorrow and we are discussing the details and which surgeon to go to.

I cannot begin to describe the whole mix of emotions right now. But a blend of anger and tears are very high up on the list.

*** news, you are the reason why I have been following this thread. I was dead keen to see how you tackled this challenged. Bud, you are one gutsy SOB for having a run at a race like this. Some surgery and down time will not phase you if you face them the way you did this race. You will bounce back and who knows, maybe 2017 will see us at the start line.  Be strong and heal up.

Archived